• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scratch another gun business off the friendly list

Vegassteve

These are wonderful folks. They have relented this position.

From the other gun forum here in the state. The question was Should NV have Constitutional carry? And the response from a vendor below...Until they can show that they indeed vote yes, then in my book they are a anti.

I didn't vote yet. I am certainly leaning toward yes, but I always have this burning question in the back of my mind....what do you do about all the people you see everyday that you KNOW you wouldn't want them to have a gun.....whatever your reasons are. IQ, road rage, ignorant, hot headed, whatever...
can there be a category for a vote yes for constitutional carry, but with mandatory training? I can speak for myself, I went a long time without training, and it wasn't until I was shown what I didn't know (i.e. training), that I realized I was a danger to myself and those around me.

just spit balling here....looking for comments.

ASW
www.ammosupplywarehouse.com
serving your ammunition needs for, eh...a few weeks now!

Last edited:

Merlin

I wouldn't go so far as to call this an anti. I think this is a reasonable position to hold on the matter, and is not necessarily adversarial to the general concensus of this forum, I think. Hell, I will even go so far as to say that mandatory training is a concession *I* would be willing to make (although you may not).

Unfortunately, the real problem with that idea is that it would essentially amount to a permit system, which is where the idea breaks down. But, let's be clear here, that doesn't make his position an opposing one, merely a slightly-different-flavored one.

As for whether to scratch him off the friendly list, that's easy. If he has a storefront, does he allow open carry on his property? Simple as that.

To paraphrase a wise saying: Don't let ideal be the enemy of 'a step in the right direction'.

For some people, it is hard to think that the general public could handle this kind of responsibility. Hell, I have a hard time believing it. But, to better understand it, compare it to something else...

A while back, I found myself in San Francisco on a job for a few weeks (I know, eww. Work is work). It was the first time I had been there, and seen the cable cars in person. The thing that stands out in my mind was just how crazy it was, in the sense that this thing will just stop in the middle of an intersection, and people jump on and off, and it just works. No mass deaths, no terrible accidents. Then I thought about what it would be like to try to propose such a system of mass-transit today.

"Yeah, so we got these train cars. They are gonna be kinda like busses, but open air. People can jump on and off, sometimes while moving, and everyone will be fine. Oh, and don't ask about how the brakes work, just trust us."

It would never happen! Now, for those of you that have never seen these things live and in person, you may not be able to relate to what I am saying, so I'll just sum it up as this.. In todays society, we have a hard time believing that our fellow man is competent enough to eat their own cereal in the morning, let alone operate a 2-ton missile, or carry a loaded firearm. It may take some time to prove that to everyone, and it may take baby steps. But remember, those baby steps give US a chance to prove our case, that all hell WON'T break loose. Don't let your desire for the endpoint cloud your view of the path to get there.

I see no need to make enemies of people that are largely on our side. Don't give up on the sheeple either. If we truly want to see our agenda come to fruition, we still have a LOT of minds to change.

How do you cook a frog? Turn up the heat _slowly_.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I wouldn't go so far as to call this an anti. I think this is a reasonable position to hold on the matter, and is not necessarily adversarial to the general concensus of this forum, I think. Hell, I will even go so far as to say that mandatory training is a concession *I* would be willing to make (although you may not).

So, what's the difference between requiring mandatory training prior to being allowed the right of self-defense and requiring mandatory training prior to being allowed the right of freedom of speech?

Vegassteve

I concede no ground on this. It's cut and dry. You are either for it or against. This is how people like this will mess up the system. We get constitutional carry but with limitations, then those limitations grow a little more. Soon we don't have true constitutional carry.

Now they have back peddled a bit in the statement.

I am sure I come off as a ass about things like this but I don't care. Either we stand as one or we fall.

OC for ME

I do not accept the premise. Constitutional carry discussions are a for/against discussion. You're either for constitutional carry or you are not, there is no in-between from my perspective. Any discussions other than for/against come from the 'reasonable retrictions' crowd. Kinda like the 'CC only crowd' (includes cops) are big time pro-2A....right up to the point that they see a OCer.

I prefer the application of sanctions, via LE, to those who have deprived or who are depriving a fellow citizen of their liberty and rights. I do not favor preemptive sanctions. Mandatory training is a preemptive sanction, no matter how lax the training could be.

Is the dude anti-2A, nope, he just may not be as liberty-minded as he thinks he is. If he entertains the though, especially 'outloud', the phrase 'reasonable restrictions' is likely in his 2A vocabulary. But, I would not gig him on that, if he votes for constitutional carry politicians, he is ultimately on our side.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Archibald Stuart, December 23, 1791
TJ has it spot on, as he usually did. If too much liberty is exercised and your exercising of your liberty and rights deprives another of theirs....well, that is what we have cops for. If your exercising of liberty and rights does not deprive another citizen of their liberty or rights, cops are not required.

Simple concept that can be very difficult for some folks to grasp.

wrightme

When they vote "No," they are an 'anti.' Until that point, they are 'on the fence,' and open to discussion. It appears his 'fence' isn't about firearms, but about liberty and control. Address those issues, and he may very well be 'pro.' But, unless he denies OC on his property, writing him off the 'friendly list' is most likely to simply make his decision for him, as opposed to keeping discussion open with him.

Label him an 'anti,' and you have created one.

From the other gun forum here in the state. The question was Should NV have Constitutional carry? And the response from a vendor below...Until they can show that they indeed vote yes, then in my book they are a anti.I didn't vote yet. I am certainly leaning toward yes, but I always have this burning question in the back of my mind....what do you do about all the people you see everyday that you KNOW you wouldn't want them to have a gun.....whatever your reasons are. IQ, road rage, ignorant, hot headed, whatever...
can there be a category for a vote yes for constitutional carry, but with mandatory training? I can speak for myself, I went a long time without training, and it wasn't until I was shown what I didn't know (i.e. training), that I realized I was a danger to myself and those around me.

just spit balling here....looking for comments.

ASW
www.ammosupplywarehouse.com
serving your ammunition needs for, eh...a few weeks now!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... IQ, road rage, ignorant, hot headed, whatever......

And the current system of a class/test stops these people?

No!

So what was his point again?

I always check this forum first. I guess I'll have some interesting reading when I get to Nevada Shooters...

Last edited:

The Big Guy

When they vote "No," they are an 'anti.' Until that point, they are 'on the fence,' and open to discussion. It appears his 'fence' isn't about firearms, but about liberty and control. Address those issues, and he may very well be 'pro.' But, unless he denies OC on his property, writing him off the 'friendly list' is most likely to simply make his decision for him, as opposed to keeping discussion open with him.

All you get from "sitting on the fence" is splinters in your butt. If one believes in "reasonable restrictions" (completely subjective), then you do not believe in the Constitution. Who gets to decide what reasonable is?

TBG

Last edited:

wrightme

All you get from "sitting on the fence" is splinters in your butt. If one believes in "reasonable restrictions" (completely subjective), then you do not believe in the Constitution. Who gets to decide what reasonable is?

TBG

Has someone in this discussion said they believe in reasonable restrictions? Have you read the actual posts and the responses referred to by the OP here?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
When you force someone off the fence before they hear both sides and they themselves feel ready to make an informed decision, you often push them to the other side.

There is nothing wrong with withholding an opinion while meditating on the issue and getting others' opinions. Indeed, it's something that should be far more common.

The Big Guy

Has someone in this discussion said they believe in reasonable restrictions? Have you read the actual posts and the responses referred to by the OP here?

"Reasonable Restrictions" is my means of boiling down what the guy from ASW was thinking outloud about. Sorry I did not communicate that so you could understand it.

TBG

wrightme

"Reasonable Restrictions" is my means of boiling down what the guy from ASW was thinking outloud about. Sorry I did not communicate that so you could understand it.

TBG

Have you read his post over there, AND the subsequent posts? Where did he say he was 'for' these 'reasonable restrictions?'
If one believes in "reasonable restrictions" (completely subjective), then you do not believe in the Constitution.
TBG
How do you get 'believes in "reasonable restrictions"' from his thoughts/words?

He was voicing his thoughts. Is there a problem with his 1st amendment exercise?

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I believe that no such class should be required, but I am open to firearms training in school. Most self-proclaimed "pro-gun" people who believe in training that might be willing to fall over to the "mandatory" training before carrying category rather than trust their neighbors will see the logic in this approach. The true anti-gun morons however will hate this idea, because they would rather children be kept in the dark about guns rather than educate... a policy which will cause gun accidents when guns are found by people who never seen them, rather than prevent them. Gun accidents among the youth aren't typically the result of supervised training in gun use, but rather a result of kids who have been shielded from the "evils" of guns and thus the first time they find one they treat it without respect and do not know if it is real.

This makes more sense than current training also, as it would be training that anyone could receive. Do people who suggest we ought to have permits to carry think that the gangbangers are taking a training course to carry? They probably aren't. And gangbangers are primarily shooting at each other, so really it is even in our best interest that they are able to shoot properly so that bystanders are not hit.

Wait a minute, am I accepting gun control? No... just education. No checks prior to buying, no card required to carry... I'm just saying that if they incorporated marksmanship into the school curriculum, I don't see a problem with that. Heck, I was on the rifle team when I was in school, but it was optional. I'm not even saying that this should necessarily be the case, as I think it is probably best taught by parents rather than government, and government schools often give substandard education all around... I'm only saying that I would be open to this option, and that perhaps it is a good alternative to propose for those people who insist that gun owners must have training, which would potentially allow the sincere ones to be satisfied while at the same time preventing turning a right into a privilege.

And there is time in school for more content... Much time is wasted doing busy work and crossword puzzles while teachers are surfing the web... at least, that was the case when I was in school.

Yes, some people never graduate from school and thus could get guns without training, but already, criminals do not obey the laws and I would say proponents of mandatory permits would be hard pressed to prove that mandatory permits will result in more training than education for all.

Children are taught to write in school so they can express themselves better, so it is okay with me if they are taught to shoot in school so that they can defend self and nation better as well.

Unfortunately, it seems that a large percentage of even gun owners are not on-board with the idea of a right to carry. I tend to think that we should not let the personal opinions of the owner of a shop sway whether we go there so long as he is not rude, only what his actual policies are. I open carry at coffee shops, yet if I asked each owner if they would support requiring a permit to carry, many might support such a permit even though they are okay with letting people without the permit carry in their store. They ought to be rewarded for allowing carry regardless of how they actually feel about carry, because they are welcoming us. If they get used to seeing gun people around, they may realize that their fears about guns were unfounded.

Say there is a gun shop owner who is a real nice guy that runs a shop but doesn't believe in the right to carry, but accepts you carrying in the shop. He is minding his business behind the counter, and you confront him and say, "Buddy, do you support permit fee carry?" and he says, "Gee, I don't know about that... I think requiring a permit saves lives." If you then leave him without discussion, and pursue another shop, what will that accomplish exactly? His policies in his store should affect his bottom line. If he stops me from carrying in his store, he does not get my business. But being open about his opinion should not be a reason to blacklist him. Then, what you are basically saying is that you are leaving because he did not keep his opinion to himself when you confronted him and asked him what his opinion was. If he loses his business because you left him, he will still vote the same way probably, because he probably still will not be swayed as it probably won't help him come to your conclusion, it will only teach him a lesson not to be open with his opinions. And it is easier to sway the opinions of men who are open with them and their reasons than it is to sway men who keep them bottled up to themselves.

This is all assuming of course, that you came up to him and asked him his opinion and he told you. If he was a jerk and decided, unprompted, to tell me open carry was stupid, when I was in his store, I'd probably leave on the basis of him being a jerk. If I found out that he was actually putting his weight, (perhaps testimony and funds,) behind a gun control initiative, I similarly would go elsewhere because I would not want to add to his weight. But I would not vilify him just because of a response to a question that I asked him.

The unfortunate thing about gun shop owners is that they are often proponents of gun control who DO put their weight behind measures. They support gun control often because they wouldn't be in business without it. (Without gun control, there would be no transfers, and most would probably buy guns online directly to their door rather than going to a shop.) Also, many are trainers themselves, and profit directly from the requirement that people take training courses. I find these people, who put money in front of our rights, to be despicable. Of course, I'm not saying all shop owners and trainers are, only the ones who support gun control in the name of continuing their business.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

OC for ME

How would the average citizen know whether or not anyone OCing has a permit or not, has had training or not, based solely on that person seeing your carry weapon?

How do cops know whether or not you have a valid DL?

Barring that natural expression of villainy which we all have, the man looked honest enough. - Mark Twain

Carry is either accepted or it is not. Qualifiers required to carry are anti-liberty.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Great... add another ciriculum for the public schools to screw up.

True, the schools seem quite inept at delivering education, which is their primary purpose! If I have children and the time and money to do so I think I will home school my children as it seems to me that current schools are more of a baby sitting service than an educational service, unfortunately.

Vegassteve

The biz owner has seen the light. I even told them I would make a purchase this week.

Not sure I can edit the thread title.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Hell, I will even go so far as to say that mandatory training is a concession *I* would be willing to make (although you may not).

You've got to be kidding me. Being able to carry concealed or openly if you have state-mandated training is NOT constitutional carry. That is the status quo in states that require a concealed permit to open carry, and is certainly a step backward.