• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i get a private purchase permit under 21

ar-15man

had some questions about getting a permit for a private purchase i have heard of people on here gettin them under 21 just need some advice

aosailor

1st go ask for 1 from your Sheriff's office. Let them know it's for a private purchase. If they say no purely based on age, then get the AG involved the people in his office have fixed many Sheriff's thought processes about this.

also look back a few pages of threads. there are plenty asking the same question with more detailed actions you can take. good luck!

Chris Hamby

I did, I just applied for 5 here in Wake County and i'm 20. As long as you are 18 or older with no prior felony charges( in my county,which should be statewide) you should be fine. they gave me a date to pick them up, came in that day paid my $25.00 and walked out. Took all of 10 mins. Just please the best thing I can tell you to do is know the law front to back and remember your not only representing yourself your representing OC'ers state wide. It is a responsibility not to be taken lightly so know your laws where you can and cannot carry and stay informed,be polite and carry on!

papa bear

AR15MAN. i looked on their web site and it said 21. i will call tomorrow to challenge them on this, but you still might have to apply to force them to make a decision on this. then we can challenge them to the chief judge. please let me know

Chris Hamby

Yea the one here in Wake County said the same thing on the website,on the door of the Sherrif's Office and on the permit application. I wanted to ask them why they had it posted but it was busy and it slipped my mind. Maybe they have it posted that way because It's a Federal law that you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL and only a State law that NC offers and federal overrides State...who knows?:confused:

rotorhead

Yea the one here in Wake County said the same thing on the website,on the door of the Sherrif's Office and on the permit application. I wanted to ask them why they had it posted but it was busy and it slipped my mind. Maybe they have it posted that way because It's a Federal law that you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL and only a State law that NC offers and federal overrides State...who knows?:confused:

It's all based on the federal laws. The state laws simply either augment them or add to them where it's legal to.

The fed laws make it so people under the age of 21 may not purchase handguns from FFL dealers. They also set the limits for people under the age of 18 not being allowed to buy firearms. Add those two together (basically) and you get the legalities of 18-20 yr olds being able to receive/ purchase handguns but not from FFL dealers.

What the state adds are the PPP and the CHP. The state says that a person under the age of 21 may not get a CHP. However, by incorporating the existing fed laws and regulations of age limits, there is nothing in law stating that sheriff departments are prevented from issuing a PPP to someone who can legally purchase a handgun from sources other than FFL dealers.

In other words, the age limit of 21 for the PPP is not based on either federal or state law. It's a department policy in Wake County and some others, probably derived from a faulty understanding of the laws involved. People who are 18-20 are legally able to buy/ receive firearms from non-FFL dealers. They can receive them as heirlooms, receive them as gifts, buy them from non-FFL dealers, and carry them openly just as anyone over the age of 21 can. In order to receive a handgun in NC, the state says you are required to obtain a PPP in order to do so. You can also use a CHP, but we know that a person under the age of 21 may not get a CHP, soooo...you will need a PPP.

The only thing they (people who are not 21) can't do is obtain a CHP, carry a concealed handgun, or buy ammunition intended to be used in a handgun.

Contact the sheriff's department directly and attempt to get the PPP if you are between the ages of 18-20. If they deny you the permit based on age alone, immediately contact Grass Roots NC (GRNC) and the NC Attorney General's office and they will contact the sheriff department to fix the issue.

One note, though: If you know that you are prevented from owning a firearm for some other reason (prior felony, domestic violence, etc) then please don't waste either the sheriff's office's, GRNC's or the NCAG's office's time with the request. But, if your age is the only reason for the denial, you will receive help in the matter.

Last edited:

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Yep, as mentioned, you have to tell them it's for a private purchase.

I got denied because I failed to do that. Didn't bother trying again, since I'll be 21 in a couple months anyway.

ar-15man

AR15MAN. i looked on their web site and it said 21. i will call tomorrow to challenge them on this, but you still might have to apply to force them to make a decision on this. then we can challenge them to the chief judge. please let me know

i tried callin them and they said no because i was not 21 years old so not real sure what to do i really want to get one just to prove them wrong i hate how ignorant people are of the laws

Mikhail Kalashnikov

i tried callin them and they said no because i was not 21 years old so not real sure what to do i really want to get one just to prove them wrong i hate how ignorant people are of the laws

I feel ya on that... I am just gonna get my ccw asap, and not give the sheriff anymore power on the matter.

rotorhead

Go down and apply for the permit. If they deny the application, make sure you get a written denial notice or something in writing stating that you were denied the permit due to your age specifically.

Once you have this documentation, contact GRNC directly and they will help you through the process of contacting the Sheriff's department and resolving the matter. The NC AG's office has also contacted Sheriff's departments in the past to set them straight. The NC AG's office cannot give you legal advice as they are the State's lawyers, but they will contact a sheriff's office and set them straight on this issue.

But first, neither GRNC or the AG's office will act on a phone call. You'll have to go through the process of applying for the permit and showing documentation that you were denied solely based on your age alone.