• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Kentuckey in April

the500kid

I am going to Louisville in April. I was there 2 years ago and had no problem for the 3 days I was there last time. A little change of plans this time the KFC Yum Center is on the list of places to be visited. Is there anything in Kentucky state Law that would let me carry there. I see by there web site has firearms as a prohibited item. Thanks for the help.

ryan

09jisaac

If it is owned and controlled by any Kentucky government then yes. Kentucky law states only Kentucky and the Federal government can regulate carrying firearms on government property in the state. They can prohibit CC in buildings but they cannot completely bar you from carrying a weapon.

If it is a private business they can prohibit firearms on their property but signs do not have the weight of law. If they ask you to leave because of your firearm (or any other reason) and you refuse then you are trespassing, but if you just ignore or don't see a sign then you're just breaking their rules.

For a cite see the thread entitled Kentucky Gun Laws.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Concealed carry is not banned in state owned buildings. If it is owned by the state or city, which i'm not sure, the sign is illegal because they can't ban openly carried firearms in their buildings. If it is owned by the city of Louisville, then concealed firearms are probably banned by ordinance, however openly carried firearms, again, can not be banned. You need to determine who owns the building, and then you will know your answer.

The sign is useless regrdless. These signs do not hold the force of law in Ky, however if a manager or owner notices your firearm and ask's you to leave, then you must leave, or risk being arrested on a criminal trespass charge. Your best option is to carry concealed, if you have a permit from whatever state you live in. Kentucky honors all out of state permits.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Your right, I never even contemplated that this property could be owned by the fair board. This is a blatant violation and needs changed now!

You don't have to leave your gun at home, just leave it in your car while your in the building. If you don't have a concealed license from another state, make sure you put your firearm in a factory installed "enclosed" storage compartment, or leave it on the dash or passenger seat. It doesn't have to be locked or anything, and your firearm can be loaded.

09jisaac

I think I will give the State fair board a call tomorrow. I read KRS 237.115 wrong to say no other unit government, as opposed to state legislature city county or urban county, can even regulate CC.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
ll With the new krs 65.870, if it passes and I think it will, will be exactly what we need to prohibit this non-sense. The law we have should be enough, but they obviously think they are above the law!

09jisaac

The Fair Board does have the authority to exclude CC in their buildings, but they have no authority when it comes to OC.

Yea, but we need to get this fixed too. A concealed weapon is no more deadly than one in plain site. And we all know that anyone willing to commit a felony (most crimes with a weapon) is willing to commit a misdemeanor.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
"(1) No existing or future city, county, urban-county government, charter county, consolidated local government, unified local government, special district, local or regional public or quasi-public agency, board, commission, department, public corporation, or any person acting under the authority of any of these organizations may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, purchase, taxation, transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, storage, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, components of ammunition, firearms accessories, or combination thereof.

The bold words would not apply to a state fair board? After it mentions the city and county governments and goes into regional agencies etc., I thought that would apply to agencies outside of just a city or county jurisdiction??

It is indeed sad we can't get a state organization to follow state law and our state constitution. I too, will try getting in touch with the agencies you have mentioned, and could it help if I contacted rocky? Rocky Adkins is my rep., and of course a powerful man in state government. Perhaps we could have him put some pressure on the fair board. Has anyone ever been arrested for violating this regulation?, or does it just deny entry or removal?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Wow, the regulations they have are major violations of our constitutional rights. They ban firearms, and also search guests entering their buildings???? This is a state organization and is not part of the courts of justice, so what in the hell gives them permission to suspend those rights? They are not a private organization!, they are STATE operated!!! This is unbelievable!!! They can confiscate and destroy prohibited items?!?!? Seems the law and constitution is null and void for this organization!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yes I did, it was with the county health department here in Boyd co. I still haven't made it to the PVA office to determine ownership of said department, I actually forgot about it. Once this becomes law, I will surely bring it to their attention, and get to the PVA and get copies of the deed. They have a sign that prohibits concealed weapons, but were trying to ban openly carried weapons as well. Thanks for the clarification.