• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster question

rideco

Hello everyone... I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join, say hello, and ask a quick question. I have been around firearms my entire life and been shooting since I was 5 or 6. I have never carried so I have a quick questions in regards to holsters. Are there any "restrictions" on holsters that are worn for open carry? The reason I ask is the holster I have for my Sig covers up the front part of the slide past the sites. Is that fine for OC as long as I dont have the holster covered up by my shirt or jacket? I really want to start exercising my right to OC in the north denver metro area but I want to insure I dont break any laws because my freedom is very important to me. I talked to my local PD and they said basically its my right and there are no restrictions outside of the usual ones but be prepared to have contact from LE since people in the area are not "use" to it. Its going to be really weird to OC the first time but looking forward to the experience.
thank
rideco

ManInBlack

Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of any legal restrictions on holsters in any state, but I could be wrong.

Colorado statutes say
(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:
(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or

Further, case law dictates that

"Concealed" means placed out of sight so as not to be discernible or apparent by ordinary observation. People ex rel. O.R., 220 P.3d 949 (Colo. App. 2008).

Question of whether weapon is concealed is question of fact for the jury which should not be summarily determined by the trial judge at the time that he rules on the defendant's motion to suppress. People v. Vincent, 628 P.2d 107 (Colo. 1981).

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the average juror would not convict you of unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon for carrying in any holster which allows the fact that you have a firearm to be discernible to ordinary observation. To me, this would be any holster which exposes any part of the grip and/or one that has a gun shape to it. I probably would not carry in a fanny pack, camera case, or anything else which would prevent the fact that I had a firearm to be discernible or apparent by ordinary observation.

Of course, it goes without saying that none of this applies if you have a permit.

M-Taliesin

Just don't OC in any part of Denver County with any type of holster.

Howdy Pard!
Goes without saying! Natch!
I've got a Blackhawk serpa holster that I really like. Draws quick, and resholster's just a fast. Perfect for doing fugitive recovery jobs.

Meanwhile, I am still trying to figure out how to carry at a nudist park.
Somebody suggested duct tape, but that stuff hurts like crazy when you hank it off, along with lots of hair and a hefty chunk of leg!
And of course, concealed carry would be right off the table to start with!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rideco

lol @ duck tape. I do like those blackhawk holsters and will prob. pick one up for my USPc .40 some time this summer. I have a blackhawk long gun case which I love as well as a blackhawk tac vest I picked up at goodwill for like 5$. I really like Blackhawks stuff but some of its kinda expensive and I have yet to convince by self to pull the trigger on a Knoxx stock for my rem. 870.
rideco