Thread: News: Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture. Christian Science Monitor 3/11

Herr Heckler Koch

News: Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture. Christian Science Monitor 3/11

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...-carry-culture
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Jonsson, CSM, Excerpt
    A combination of favorable court rulings, grass-roots activism, traditional fears of crime, and modern anxieties about government has led to what may be a tipping point on an issue that just a few years ago was one of America's most contentious. Gun rights have now expanded to the point where the fundamental question seems not to be "should we be able to carry guns," but instead is "where can't we carry them?"

The answer: not very many places.

[ ... ]

Resistance to the ubiquity of guns remains, of course, mainly in the urban North. It is perhaps telling that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is prohibited from seeking another term and who has millions of his own money to spend, has become the preeminent gun-control spokesman in the country. Freshman Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is worried about an overly armed populace, too: Last month, he proposed a statewide registry for handgun owners.
    In pictures http://www.csmonitor.com/Photo-Galle...an-Gun-Culture
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch

CSM Second Amendment Quiz

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...cond-Amendment
    Quote Originally Posted by CSM
    How much do you know about the Second Amendment? A quiz.

The US Supreme Court in 2008 began a major reexamination of the right to keep and bear arms. How well do you know the Second Amendment? Take our quiz.

Correct! (12 of 12 correct)
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-12-2012 at 05:11 PM.

10 out of 12. I should have known "all of the above" is always the right answer (and probably should have better read the other choices, curse you being tired) and I disagree with their answer to what type of weapons the 2A should protect. Whatever type of weapons are in standard use (as in, what our regular infantrymen are using) should 100% be protected by the 2A.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    I got 9 out of 12 should have been 10 but answered one in my own opinion knowing it was going to be wrong and when it comes to the 30's I'm not great on that part of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    10 out of 12. I should have known "all of the above" is always the right answer (and probably should have better read the other choices, curse you being tired) and I disagree with their answer to what type of weapons the 2A should protect. Whatever type of weapons are in standard use (as in, what our regular infantrymen are using) should 100% be protected by the 2A.
    You only missed one. They don't know what they're talking about on what the second means.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

11 out of 12. felt dumb about the one I missed.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

The 'quiz' was easy. Just required basic deductive reasoning and the realization that it has an anti-gun slant.

Way way infused with semi-subtle anti sentiment, but there was no getting around the fundamental metrics. Increase of lawful firearms in the public square and a decrease in crime. That's the beginning and end of the debate with the anti's as far as I'm concerned, since that was there only attempt at an appeal to logic as opposed to their usual appeal to pathos.

It increasingly gives me the warm fuzzies to see how the "MSM" is grudgingly ceding that we were right all along.