• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News: Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture. Christian Science Monitor 3/11

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2012/0311/Gun-nation-Inside-America-s-gun-carry-culture
Patrik Jonsson said:
A combination of favorable court rulings, grass-roots activism, traditional fears of crime, and modern anxieties about government has led to what may be a tipping point on an issue that just a few years ago was one of America's most contentious. Gun rights have now expanded to the point where the fundamental question seems not to be "should we be able to carry guns," but instead is "where can't we carry them?"

The answer: not very many places.

[ ... ]

Resistance to the ubiquity of guns remains, of course, mainly in the urban North. It is perhaps telling that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is prohibited from seeking another term and who has millions of his own money to spend, has become the preeminent gun-control spokesman in the country. Freshman Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is worried about an overly armed populace, too: Last month, he proposed a statewide registry for handgun owners.
In pictures http://www.csmonitor.com/Photo-Galleries/In-Pictures/American-Gun-Culture

Last edited:

Aknazer

10 out of 12. I should have known "all of the above" is always the right answer (and probably should have better read the other choices, curse you being tired) and I disagree with their answer to what type of weapons the 2A should protect. Whatever type of weapons are in standard use (as in, what our regular infantrymen are using) should 100% be protected by the 2A.

Daylen

10 out of 12. I should have known "all of the above" is always the right answer (and probably should have better read the other choices, curse you being tired) and I disagree with their answer to what type of weapons the 2A should protect. Whatever type of weapons are in standard use (as in, what our regular infantrymen are using) should 100% be protected by the 2A.

You only missed one. They don't know what they're talking about on what the second means.

Jack House

The 'quiz' was easy. Just required basic deductive reasoning and the realization that it has an anti-gun slant.

GhostOfJefferson

Way way infused with semi-subtle anti sentiment, but there was no getting around the fundamental metrics. Increase of lawful firearms in the public square and a decrease in crime. That's the beginning and end of the debate with the anti's as far as I'm concerned, since that was there only attempt at an appeal to logic as opposed to their usual appeal to pathos.

It increasingly gives me the warm fuzzies to see how the "MSM" is grudgingly ceding that we were right all along.