Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: How long did you wait, or have been waiting?

  1. #1
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763

    How long did you wait, or have been waiting?

    I dont see a thread designated solely for people to post up their wait time experiences, so I'll start this one. mods if you think this is unnecessary, or if there is a thread about it somewhere, feel free to delete.

    so if you could, please post up your experience with the wait time you've dealt with. including how long from the time you submitted your permit app and fingerprints to the time you received your permit. also please include town, roughly when it occurred, and if your fingerprints were taken electronically or with ink and paper-card. of if you haven't received your permit yet, share a few details of what you do know and how long you've waited so far.

  2. #2
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    my experience so far:

    Middletown PD, Ofc Bill Warner, very nice guy. fingerprints were taken with ink and paper-cards

    February 14th: submit app and fingerprints.
    February 16th: fingerprints were sent to SPBI
    March 13th: called CJIS/FBI to inquire on the status of my background check, who told me they have no record for my name and therefore must not have received anything from SPBI for me yet
    Last edited by motoxmann; 03-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member psyclone07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hartford,CT
    Posts
    15
    Appt was on December 6th and received my temp permit today.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Haven
    Posts
    87
    So you were about 100+ days?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    125
    .Beacon Falls - Submitted on Oct 3rd 2011 - wait time was 7.5 weeks

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    7th MAR application provided to PD .. refused to pay, refused fingerprints, refused almost everything .. still waiting ... I expect this to go to court of course

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colchester Ct
    Posts
    6
    Colchester. Submitted jan 6 and received permit feb 4

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11
    Handed my app and fingerprints nov. 4, 2011 prints were ink and cards. Called FBI in early january, found out they received, processed and returned prints nov 29. Had a detective interview me Feb 17, and after 2 phone calls to deputy chief Tim Topulos got my permit Feb 24. It was dated Feb 17. This was in Meriden.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313
    Windsor - 2 Weeks in 2004...ink fingerprints..
    Last edited by buketdude; 03-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member dmjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rocky Hill CT
    Posts
    47

    Cool Middletown

    Middletown is 8 weeks to the day....

    They will call you from a non caller Id so answerer your phone.

  11. #11
    Regular Member dmjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rocky Hill CT
    Posts
    47

    Windsor

    Quote Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
    Windsor - 2 Weeks in 2004...ink fingerprints..

    If you are well known to the PD in Windsor IE work for the town, fire dept, ambulance ect. You will get in one week or less.
    Last edited by dmjs; 03-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    Middletown is 8 weeks to the day....

    They will call you from a non caller Id so answerer your phone.
    well that is good news. I hope that stands true for me as well

  13. #13
    Regular Member brk913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plainville, CT
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    If you are well known to the PD in Windsor IE work for the town, fire dept, ambulance ect. You will get in one week or less.
    You don't even need to be "well known" I have had numerous students get their temp from Windsor in as little as 4 days, most tell me it's less than 10 days, why can't all towns be like Windsor...
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313
    [QUOTE=brk913;1722616]You don't even need to be "well known" I have had numerous students get their temp from Windsor in as little as 4 days, most tell me it's less than 10 days, why can't all towns be like Windsor...[/QUOTE

    and I thought 2 weeks was fast..haha..someone there is very efficent..

  15. #15
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    Middletown is 8 weeks to the day....

    They will call you from a non caller Id so answerer your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    well that is good news. I hope that stands true for me as well
    I'm guessing this wont stand true for me now:

    February 14th: submit app and fingerprints and interview with Ofc Bill Warner at Middletown PD.
    February 16th: fingerprints were sent to SPBI
    March 15th: called Ofc Bill Warner, left a voicemail asking for the date my prints were sent to DPS
    March 19th: Bill Warner calls me back and tells me the above date. He also said they are absolutely not issuing temp permits at the 8th week, unless for some ungodly seriously rare case where they have actually received the background check back from DPS before that time. He also said they absolutely are not issuing temp permits at all, no matter how long it has been, until they receive the background check back from DPS
    March 20th (5 weeks): called CJIS/FBI to inquire on the status of my background check, who told me they still have not received anything from DPS/SPBI for me yet. She also told me though that there is often a 3-4 week screening process, and my info may just still be stuck in that special security screening process before it enters the system that they are able to share with me
    Last edited by motoxmann; 03-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member dmjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rocky Hill CT
    Posts
    47

    It will be

    It will be 8 weeks to the date, I had 5 students in the same class from Middletown and they have all come back at the 8 week mark. Call the Records Dept (they are the ones that handle the temporary permit applications after the Captain (not the chief) signs the app as approved) at MPD after the 4th week and ask if anything has come back yet. Of course they say that it will take time. Just tell them of the state statue of the required time they have to issue or not and they will be surprised that you know it. Than file an appeal with the State Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (you can and should call them to cancel your hearing date once you get your permit) You will than receive your temp permit at the 8 week mark.

    Bill is just doing his appointed job, and has nothing to do with your permit once he goes over your permit and takes your prints.

    Many people who called the CJIS/FBI and asked to see if their info has been received have been told the same ("have no record for my name") I was one of them, but one day later Records form MPD called me and said my temp permit was ready. One hour later at DPS HQ and state permit in hand.

    Also note, that MPD calls from a non-listed number so it will will come up as unlisted, a number 1 or just 860. So if you screen your calls it may be better to pick up the phone.

  17. #17
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    Many people who called the CJIS/FBI and asked to see if their info has been received have been told the same ("have no record for my name") I was one of them, but one day later Records form MPD called me and said my temp permit was ready.
    interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    Also note, that MPD calls from a non-listed number so it will will come up as unlisted, a number 1 or just 860. So if you screen your calls it may be better to pick up the phone.
    yeah, when Bill calls me it shows up on my phone as 000-000-0000

    I'll have to give records a call at some point here and check it out.
    are you affiliated with MPD in some way? or know any of their employees personally?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Haven
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    interesting



    yeah, when Bill calls me it shows up on my phone as 000-000-0000

    I'll have to give records a call at some point here and check it out.
    are you affiliated with MPD in some way? or know any of their employees personally?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmjs View Post
    It will be 8 weeks to the date, I had 5 students in the same class from Middletown and they have all come back at the 8 week mark. Call the Records Dept (they are the ones that handle the temporary permit applications after the Captain (not the chief) signs the app as approved) at MPD after the 4th week and ask if anything has come back yet. Of course they say that it will take time. Just tell them of the state statue of the required time they have to issue or not and they will be surprised that you know it. Than file an appeal with the State Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (you can and should call them to cancel your hearing date once you get your permit) You will than receive your temp permit at the 8 week mark.

    Bill is just doing his appointed job, and has nothing to do with your permit once he goes over your permit and takes your prints.

    Many people who called the CJIS/FBI and asked to see if their info has been received have been told the same ("have no record for my name") I was one of them, but one day later Records form MPD called me and said my temp permit was ready. One hour later at DPS HQ and state permit in hand.

    Also note, that MPD calls from a non-listed number so it will will come up as unlisted, a number 1 or just 860. So if you screen your calls it may be better to pick up the phone.
    Funny you mentioned calling the FBI. I called yesterday and was no record found. Called today and was told it sent back on the 13th. The difference is yesterday I selected prints for employment and personal. Today I just stood on hold for a rep and surprise it was done.

    I also called spbi and was read the script, then I mentioned it was interesting to know that I had to wait while Middletown residents had theirs in hand in under two weeks. Nothing against Middletown folks. The conversation changed to let me get your check number and surprise we did get yours and its being processed. They did mention that they had moved up the PP prints to catch up.

  19. #19
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Funny you mentioned calling the FBI. I called yesterday and was no record found. Called today and was told it sent back on the 13th. The difference is yesterday I selected prints for employment and personal. Today I just stood on hold for a rep and surprise it was done.

    I also called spbi and was read the script, then I mentioned it was interesting to know that I had to wait while Middletown residents had theirs in hand in under two weeks. Nothing against Middletown folks. The conversation changed to let me get your check number and surprise we did get yours and its being processed. They did mention that they had moved up the PP prints to catch up.
    yeah I've been hitting 9 to be put on hold to speak to a rep each time, cuz really its the only viable option for PP applicants. still no record found though, probably something to do with their 3-4 week security screening stuff they keep mentioning to me.

    who did you speak to at SPBI though? or at least what department?
    cuz when I called I got a crude jerk of a dude that seemingly just kept telling me everything he knew none of us want to hear.
    I'd love to get someone who would actually help me and answer a question or two, or simply see if they have any info at all they can give me about my app.

    Middletown residents definitely are not getting theirs in hand in 2 weeks though, at least not at all this year
    Last edited by motoxmann; 03-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Haven
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    yeah I've been hitting 9 to be put on hold to speak to a rep each time, cuz really its the only viable option for PP applicants. still no record found though, probably something to do with their 3-4 week security screening stuff they keep mentioning to me.

    who did you speak to at SPBI though? or at least what department?
    cuz when I called I got a crude jerk of a dude that seemingly just kept telling me everything he knew none of us want to hear.
    I'd love to get someone who would actually help me and answer a question or two, or simply see if they have any info at all they can give me about my app.

    Middletown residents definitely are not getting theirs in hand in 2 weeks though, at least not at all this year
    I spoke to America in fingerprinting who transferred me to Carie if I recall (driving) shes in records. Called @3pm. They did give me the story then helped. Looks like I may get it by 4/15 which was my goal considering I took the class thanksgiving weekend. I wasn't in a hurry till I found this forum.

  21. #21
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    my friend is on her way now to pick up her temp permit from Cromwell PD. hers was 5.5 weeks, scanned fingerprints

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    1
    Applied for temp permit February 28th, received temp permit March 21st - East Hampton.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Haven
    Posts
    87
    Rich
    Are there any updates on why this continues to happen. Town right gets theirs in days, town left in months. Do some towns get a go fast pass? I could care less if it took longer than eight weeks as long as there were no line jumpers. I mean WT% Florida gives you a number to track your own app progress and our local DMV gives you a number and handles your drivers request on the spot. Why is this so difficult? The worst part of all is that you can buy a gun in seconds.

    I apologize now for all future rants. and no offense to you lucky permit holders, thanks for updating us.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Rich
    Are there any updates on why this continues to happen. Town right gets theirs in days, town left in months. Do some towns get a go fast pass?
    There are many questions still out there and we are still working on them.

    For now I can safely say:

    - There does appear to be some towns which get their background checks back faster than others even throughout the backlog.
    - Some towns do not wait for the national background check to come back, since they do not need to.
    - Things are moving faster now.
    - Connecticut Carry is still researching what went wrong for the 1080 permit backlog (http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Background).
    - Connecticut Carry is working on methods to fix the wait times in general and make them more consistent throughout the state.

    Stay tuned to the action pages, there will be more posted soon:

    http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Action1
    http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Action2

    I could care less if it took longer than eight weeks
    I care deeply about police breaking the law to deny you and I our rights.

    The worst part of all is that you can buy a gun in seconds.
    I think this is a good thing, and the goal is to get the permit process to mirror this or disappear.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Haven
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

    I care deeply about police breaking the law to deny you and I our rights.


    I think this is a good thing, and the goal is to get the permit process to mirror this or disappear.

    I should have made that clear. It should take the same amount of time for all as long as the law is followed.

    I agree that this is a good thing and hopefully someday it will be for others. I read back to page 45 on this forum and equally on ctguntalk and its the same topic in various stages of repair. Maybe we can incorporate this process into our next drivers license renewal. One license, multiple uses.
    Last edited by IH8SPM; 03-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •