• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long did you wait, or have been waiting?

IH8SPM

Rich
Are there any updates on why this continues to happen. Town right gets theirs in days, town left in months. Do some towns get a go fast pass? I could care less if it took longer than eight weeks as long as there were no line jumpers. I mean WT% Florida gives you a number to track your own app progress and our local DMV gives you a number and handles your drivers request on the spot. Why is this so difficult? The worst part of all is that you can buy a gun in seconds.

I apologize now for all future rants.:cry: and no offense to you lucky permit holders, thanks for updating us.

Rich B

Rich
Are there any updates on why this continues to happen. Town right gets theirs in days, town left in months. Do some towns get a go fast pass?

There are many questions still out there and we are still working on them.

For now I can safely say:

- There does appear to be some towns which get their background checks back faster than others even throughout the backlog.
- Some towns do not wait for the national background check to come back, since they do not need to.
- Things are moving faster now.
- Connecticut Carry is still researching what went wrong for the 1080 permit backlog (http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Background).
- Connecticut Carry is working on methods to fix the wait times in general and make them more consistent throughout the state.

Stay tuned to the action pages, there will be more posted soon:

http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Action1
http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/SPBIBacklog_Action2

I could care less if it took longer than eight weeks

I care deeply about police breaking the law to deny you and I our rights.

The worst part of all is that you can buy a gun in seconds.

I think this is a good thing, and the goal is to get the permit process to mirror this or disappear.

IH8SPM

I care deeply about police breaking the law to deny you and I our rights.

I think this is a good thing, and the goal is to get the permit process to mirror this or disappear.

I should have made that clear. It should take the same amount of time for all as long as the law is followed.

I agree that this is a good thing and hopefully someday it will be for others. I read back to page 45 on this forum and equally on ctguntalk and its the same topic in various stages of repair. Maybe we can incorporate this process into our next drivers license renewal. One license, multiple uses.

Last edited:

Freiheit417

I...Maybe we can incorporate this process into our next drivers license renewal. One license, multiple uses.

I would not want a Pistol Permit to be incorporated into a driver's license since driving is a privilege. To combine the two would infer that carrying a pistol or revolver is a privilege which it clearly is not. Although with the current Pistol Permit system, there isn't much difference. I'm sure many state and local officials do consider it a privilege even though it's a right.

Hellofamason85

my experience so far:

Middletown PD, Ofc Bill Warner, very nice guy. fingerprints were taken with ink and paper-cards

February 14th: submit app and fingerprints.
February 16th: fingerprints were sent to SPBI
March 13th: called CJIS/FBI to inquire on the status of my background check, who told me they have no record for my name and therefore must not have received anything from SPBI for me yet

I submitted my fingerprints with Bill Warner on Feb 7th. i called FBI and they said they received and sent it back on Feb 28th. And am still waiting!!!!

motoxmann

I submitted my fingerprints with Bill Warner on Feb 7th. i called FBI and they said they received and sent it back on Feb 28th. And am still waiting!!!!

Has the PD got the National Background check back? If so, when?

call Captain Lozefski at 860-344-3254. after like 5 calls to different departments, I finally figured out that he is the actual guy to speak to about where the app progress stands. when I finally got sent to him I got his voicemail and he called me back in about 2 hours. not only that, but he actually answered all my questions honestly including looking up my file to see exact dates and records and such, unlike everyone else at MPD that I spoke to that just gave me the same seemingly rehearsed lines to get rid of me and make me keep waiting without filing an appeal

Sounds like SPBI sitting on them for almost a month...

yup, that's my guess too :(

Last edited:

Hellofamason85

call Captain Lozefski at 860-344-3254. after like 5 calls to different departments, I finally figured out that he is the actual guy to speak to about where the app progress stands. when I finally got sent to him I got his voicemail and he called me back in about 2 hours. not only that, but he actually answered all my questions honestly including looking up my file to see exact dates and records and such, unlike everyone else at MPD that I spoke to that just gave me the same seemingly rehearsed lines to get rid of me and make me keep waiting without filing an appeal

yup, that's my guess too :(

So that's the Captain that handles all that. I called records and they refused to transfer me to him. Instead they sent me to Det. Warner, but all he does is take care of interview. I will be sure to call the Captain first thing Monday morning and leave a message. Nice you certainly bled them for info. thats hard to do with MPD as I have found out. Thankx

motoxmann

So that's the Captain that handles all that. I called records and they refused to transfer me to him. Instead they sent me to Det. Warner, but all he does is take care of interview. I will be sure to call the Captain first thing Monday morning and leave a message. Nice you certainly bled them for info. thats hard to do with MPD as I have found out. Thankx

yup, MPD has been a pain to deal with AFTER my interview occurred. the interview went smoothly, but ever since then everyone I talked to just kept feeding me similar BS and transferring me to people that do the same. but yes, that is the captain that handles everything after bill does his job. the main question you want to ask him is if they have received the background check back from DPS yet. and remember that the PD has to give you an approval/denial within 1 week of receiving the background check from DPS.
you had your interview on feb 7th, so it's been 6 1/2 weeks for you in total. not bad considering. but yeah, give him a call monday morning. and if they dont have the background check yet, call again the following monday and start putting pressure on them cuz that'll be 1 day before 8 weeks.

I'm still waiting for the FBI to even have a record of my background check in their system lol, I dont even know if they've received mine or not yet :(

Last edited:

Rich B

Haven't figured that out yet if the PD got it. I am assuming they did

Call the PD and call SPBI and find out for sure. If the PD got the national criminal history check back (they should), appeal immediately.

If they have not received them, demand to know why SPBI is sitting on the national criminal history check. That should be forwarded immediately.

motoxmann

Call the PD and call SPBI and find out for sure. If the PD got the national criminal history check back (they should), appeal immediately.

If the PD has received the background check less than a week ago, and it hasnt been a total of 8 weeks yet, why appeal? why not just say "ok, so when will it be signed and ready to be picked up?"

I see you tell a lot of people to appeal, and I'm not against that. But it does mean a lot of extra time, and extra money, which can be a pain. Not to mention how they require your arrest HISTORY, not just your actual convictions like the permit application requires. Some people may have been arrested for things that will not look good in an appeal, but that were dismissed and dont apply for the permit application. It shouldnt matter, if it was dismissed, but it still doesnt look great, and overall is just a hassle, especially if it doesnt accelerate the process of receiving the permit. my two cents

in my case, between criminal history, and motor vehicle history for two states, I'd be spending an additional $130 just to file an appeal, not my cup of tea *shrug*

Last edited:

brk913

If the PD has received the background check less than a week ago, and it hasnt been a total of 8 weeks yet, why appeal? why not just say "ok, so when will it be signed and ready to be picked up?"

I see you tell a lot of people to appeal, and I'm not against that. But it does mean a lot of extra time, and extra money, which can be a pain. Not to mention how they require your arrest HISTORY, not just your actual convictions like the permit application requires. Some people may have been arrested for things that will not look good in an appeal, but that were dismissed and dont apply for the permit application. It shouldnt matter, if it was dismissed, but it still doesnt look great, and overall is just a hassle, especially if it doesnt accelerate the process of receiving the permit. my two cents

in my case, between criminal history, and motor vehicle history for two states, I'd be spending an additional $130 just to file an appeal, not my cup of tea *shrug*

It costs nothing to appeal unless you wish to be represented by an attorney. If you look at the permit application it also asks for arrests not just convictions. The reason we tell people to start the appeal process as early as they can is twofold. One they are scheduling hearings at least 4 to 5 months out, why wait to get your name on the list when you can drop the appeal if the permit is issued. Second, it puts these rogue towns on notice that aplicants are no longer going to be "pushed around" by the issuing authority, all the applicants are following the law why can't the PD? Hopefully it makes them "change their ways".

I had 2 students from Hamden stand up for their rights, first they refused to submit extra paperwork that was requested, then when they had not received their temp permits in the time frames in CGS 29-29 they filed an appeal, guess what they got three days later, their temp permits. As soon as the town was put on notice they were appealing their permits were issued, coincidence, I doubt it...especially after two officers from Hamden told them, "the state statute regarding the time frames is old, no one follows that anymore"...I told them to ask if murder was OK since that's a pretty old statute too....

Rich B

If the PD has received the background check less than a week ago, and it hasnt been a total of 8 weeks yet, why appeal?

From the dates indicated, if the SPBI forwarded the FBI report back right away like they are supposed to, he needs to appeal.

I am not sure why you are fixated on 8 weeks since it means very little to the process. By 8 weeks, most people should have appealed weeks ago.

I see you tell a lot of people to appeal, and I'm not against that. But it does mean a lot of extra time, and extra money, which can be a pain.

What extra money? Extra time to hold the police in this state to the law? I don't get what you are saying. Freedom is not free.

Not to mention how they require your arrest HISTORY, not just your actual convictions like the permit application requires. Some people may have been arrested for things that will not look good in an appeal, but that were dismissed and dont apply for the permit application. It shouldnt matter, if it was dismissed, but it still doesnt look great, and overall is just a hassle, especially if it doesnt accelerate the process of receiving the permit. my two cents

You don't understand what you are preaching about. If you were arrested and it was dismissed, it is erased. You can testify under oath to it not existing.

You need to read and understand this: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap961a.htm#Sec54-142a.htm

That does not make sense, and further, if you have convictions, those are your faults, not everyone will share the same burden.

Hellofamason85

So I called Captain Lozefski of the MPD and left a message with him in regards to the status of my application. So hopefully he calls me back with something he can tell me. I just am blown away by how other towns do them so quickly. Its mind boggling!!!:confused: I will keep everyone updated with any info I get!