Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa problems.

Blackhawk Serpa problems.

I recently started to OC, I picked up a blackhawk serpa holster with my new m&p 9.

I really like the design and looks of it, but I'm a smaller guy about 5'11" and 150lbs and I have very bony hips. The serpa kind of rubs right there on that bone and gets uncomfortable after a while.

What other holsters would you recommend? Or should I try to modify the serpa in some way to make it more comfortable?

I also saw this one on eBay and I like the looks of it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370523259138...#ht_2202wt_689

What do you guys think?

Edit: looks like my fingers got ahead of me in the title.
    Last edited by 86 slo-vo; 03-12-2012 at 10:07 PM.

I almost feel your pain. I'm about 5'9" and 164 lbs. If the gun sits the wrong way it will rub bone, but I can usually get it in a pretty comfortable position by pushing more towards 8 o'clock (your 4 o'clock).

When I get the money I want to invest in a good leather holster, possibly pancake style. I think it'd sit much more comfortably, not to mention look better. But for now the Serpa will have to do for me.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I agree, there is a spot that it feels pretty comfortable but as I'm working and moving all around it does the same.

I'm half tempted to try and put a piece of thin but firm foam in the back side to see if it helps, but I'd also like to see what else is out there.

have you tried using the belt loop instead of the paddle, see if that feels any better

Take a peek at the Safariland ALS - works great for me (5'9" 170lbs), and it feels more natural than the Blackhawk did. (I also like the fact I'm not drawing with my finger on the trigger. I realize it's a matter of learning and preference - and that's my preference!)

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    have you tried using the belt loop instead of the paddle, see if that feels any better
    Meh. I find the paddle far more comfortable.

Then again, if you're actually experiencing discomfort with the paddle (which I don't), I suppose it's worth a try.

This is the same holster I carry my XD40 in. I found putting it a little further back makes it comfortable for me. I canted the holster forward for a smoother draw from further back on my hip.
    Hope it helps,
    Potter

As others said, shifting it slightly towards the rear can help. (I'm 5'11" and ~140#, and carry a subcompact XD or a full-size 1911 in Serpas, BTW.)

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoZ View Post
    Take a peek at the Safariland ALS - works great for me (5'9" 170lbs), and it feels more natural than the Blackhawk did. (I also like the fact I'm not drawing with my finger on the trigger. I realize it's a matter of learning and preference - and that's my preference!)

--
    Peace. ~G
    It's been beaten to death on this forum many times, but if you're drawing with your finger on the trigger, I can only assume you have arthritis or other joint issues. The Serpa in no way forces a person to do so - in fact, the "button" placement places your index finger along the frame above the trigger. This is borne out by my experience (carrying and drawing two different pistols in Serpas) as well as others' experience.

I'm 5'9 and 160lb and I've found that it's pretty comfortable to carry at about the 10 o'clock position. Only downside to carrying here is it can be a bit hard to get into the pocket. But yea I feel ya about the bony hips thing. The only OC holster I own is the Serpa so I can't really comment about others, but I have heard a lot of talk about the Safariland ALS holster.

I like the ALS, but they don't make one for a full-sized USP .45 last I looked.

As far as the blackhawk comfort issue goes, I like the idea of gluing a thin strip of foam to the area that rubs. I can't speak from experience since my serpa doesn't bother me that way, but if it did, that's the angle I'd try.
    The Dogs of War are nothing compared to the Cats

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    As others said, shifting it slightly towards the rear can help. (I'm 5'11" and ~140#, and carry a subcompact XD or a full-size 1911 in Serpas, BTW.)

It's been beaten to death on this forum many times, but if you're drawing with your finger on the trigger, I can only assume you have arthritis or other joint issues. The Serpa in no way forces a person to do so - in fact, the "button" placement places your index finger along the frame above the trigger. This is borne out by my experience (carrying and drawing two different pistols in Serpas) as well as others' experience.
    Yup, I've seen and participated in that discussion. That's why I included the "I know this is a preference and training thing" comment. I simply found the ALS draw to match my style better, pure and simple. I've also found it amazingly comfortable, so in regards to this OP, this seemed like a worthwhile point to bring up.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

I'm 5'11" 150 pounds. I know exactly what you're feeling. I just wear it at about 4 o'clock and have no issues. Been carrying there for so long that if I moved it I would have to retrain myself on drawing.
    Sometimes due to body type we just have to make a comprimise where we can comfortably carry.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

Wink

Based on the title of this thread, I thought you were complaining about being harassed by a Nepalese guy wearing buckskins....
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Based on the title of this thread, I thought you were complaining about being harassed by a Nepalese guy wearing buckskins....
    LOL. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I did add an edit in the OP

I think I found some foam to use, I'll give it a try in the next day or two.

The leather one looks nice (no retention though), but I like my "Sherpa".
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Try the belt loop, I use mine with the belt loop and canted forward. I love it

Your belt might very well be the problem. I wear a Tactical Tailor riggers belt and I love it. It's comfortable enough to wear around everyday, yet it rugged enough to hold up my Glock 23 in holster with 2 spare mags in holster. And if you need to make it tighter or looser you can do it without undoing it.
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

I wear mine at 4 o'clock as 3 caused it to bump into too many things and it feels a lot more comfortable. Granted I am 5'10 and 220. The biggest comfort relief I had was making sure I had a tight belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B2O View Post
    Your belt might very well be the problem. I wear a Tactical Tailor riggers belt and I love it. It's comfortable enough to wear around everyday, yet it rugged enough to hold up my Glock 23 in holster with 2 spare mags in holster. And if you need to make it tighter or looser you can do it without undoing it.
    +1 I also use the TT riggers belt and it's the best belt I've ever owned

I did a quick cheap fix on my Serpa when i first got it. I'm one of those bony guys, too. I'm just about 6' and under 150lbs.

If you go out to a second hand store (i went to st. vincent's) you can usually find diving stuff for cheap. I bought a couple of old wetsuits for about $3.00 each. They make for great scrap neoprene. I just laid the paddle on the neoprene, traced it with a sharpie and cut it out. I then cut a few well placed slits into the neoprene and attached it to the paddle with cloth medical tape. It makes for a very comfortable holster and the tape is soft and meant to be able to withstand any sweat that may get to it. Whenever my buddy that is borrowing the holster gets me it back I'll see about posting a picture of it.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

To the OP, my suggestion to you would be to increase the number of cheeseburgers and milkshakes in your diet.

Just sayin...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 04-07-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I switched from the Serpa to the Safariland ALS paddle holsters for this same reason. The Safariland paddle is shaped to fit your body, whereas the Serpa paddle is almost like sticking an oven pan down your pants.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I switched from the Serpa to the Safariland ALS paddle holsters for this same reason. The Safariland paddle is shaped to fit your body, whereas the Serpa paddle is almost like sticking an oven pan down your pants.
    A slight reshaping of the paddle using a hair dryer might be worth the effort.

GF has a kydex holster (not Serpa) for her P9. No amount of break-in loosened up the snap-tight fit enough to cleanly draw the gun - we both spent a lot of time with attempted presentations. She most often either came up with the holster and gun + a sore hip. I finally started succeeding w/dificulty after 100s of draws and liberal lubrication - not good.

Spent some time with a hair dryer, paddle fits much better with the new bends and by heating the kydex holster body w/empty gun in it, twisting the gun side to side while wrapped in paper towel, when it cooled sanded down the retention "bumps" very lightly and Bingo works like a charm. Good retention requiring a precise draw motion, but very quick presentation.

If you do try this be patient - a little at a time is the way to go.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    I did a quick cheap fix on my Serpa when i first got it. I'm one of those bony guys, too. I'm just about 6' and under 150lbs.

If you go out to a second hand store (i went to st. vincent's) you can usually find diving stuff for cheap. I bought a couple of old wetsuits for about $3.00 each. They make for great scrap neoprene. I just laid the paddle on the neoprene, traced it with a sharpie and cut it out. I then cut a few well placed slits into the neoprene and attached it to the paddle with cloth medical tape. It makes for a very comfortable holster and the tape is soft and meant to be able to withstand any sweat that may get to it. Whenever my buddy that is borrowing the holster gets me it back I'll see about posting a picture of it.
    lol if that holster is a comfortable as I think it is, you might have a tough time with that.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I envy you. I bought an ALS for my P99 first, only to find out that it was made for the old P99 (pre 2004 redesign), and they still don't make an ALS for the new design. Had to return it and get a Serpa.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast