• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa problems.

86 slo-vo

I recently started to OC, I picked up a blackhawk serpa holster with my new m&p 9.

I really like the design and looks of it, but I'm a smaller guy about 5'11" and 150lbs and I have very bony hips. The serpa kind of rubs right there on that bone and gets uncomfortable after a while.

What other holsters would you recommend? Or should I try to modify the serpa in some way to make it more comfortable?

4cb69b63-a498-ff32.jpg

I also saw this one on eBay and I like the looks of it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370523259138?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_2202wt_689

What do you guys think?

Edit: looks like my fingers got ahead of me in the title.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

I almost feel your pain. I'm about 5'9" and 164 lbs. If the gun sits the wrong way it will rub bone, but I can usually get it in a pretty comfortable position by pushing more towards 8 o'clock (your 4 o'clock).

When I get the money I want to invest in a good leather holster, possibly pancake style. I think it'd sit much more comfortably, not to mention look better. But for now the Serpa will have to do for me.

86 slo-vo

I agree, there is a spot that it feels pretty comfortable but as I'm working and moving all around it does the same.

I'm half tempted to try and put a piece of thin but firm foam in the back side to see if it helps, but I'd also like to see what else is out there.

scouser

have you tried using the belt loop instead of the paddle, see if that feels any better

GuidoZ

Take a peek at the Safariland ALS - works great for me (5'9" 170lbs), and it feels more natural than the Blackhawk did. (I also like the fact I'm not drawing with my finger on the trigger. I realize it's a matter of learning and preference - and that's my preference!)

--
Peace. ~G

PotterMP

This is the same holster I carry my XD40 in. I found putting it a little further back makes it comfortable for me. I canted the holster forward for a smoother draw from further back on my hip.
Hope it helps,
Potter

4angrybadgers

As others said, shifting it slightly towards the rear can help. (I'm 5'11" and ~140#, and carry a subcompact XD or a full-size 1911 in Serpas, BTW.)

Take a peek at the Safariland ALS - works great for me (5'9" 170lbs), and it feels more natural than the Blackhawk did. (I also like the fact I'm not drawing with my finger on the trigger. I realize it's a matter of learning and preference - and that's my preference!)

--
Peace. ~G

It's been beaten to death on this forum many times, but if you're drawing with your finger on the trigger, I can only assume you have arthritis or other joint issues. The Serpa in no way forces a person to do so - in fact, the "button" placement places your index finger along the frame above the trigger. This is borne out by my experience (carrying and drawing two different pistols in Serpas) as well as others' experience.

Aknazer

I'm 5'9 and 160lb and I've found that it's pretty comfortable to carry at about the 10 o'clock position. Only downside to carrying here is it can be a bit hard to get into the pocket. But yea I feel ya about the bony hips thing. The only OC holster I own is the Serpa so I can't really comment about others, but I have heard a lot of talk about the Safariland ALS holster.

Kivuli

I like the ALS, but they don't make one for a full-sized USP .45 last I looked.

As far as the blackhawk comfort issue goes, I like the idea of gluing a thin strip of foam to the area that rubs. I can't speak from experience since my serpa doesn't bother me that way, but if it did, that's the angle I'd try.

GuidoZ

As others said, shifting it slightly towards the rear can help. (I'm 5'11" and ~140#, and carry a subcompact XD or a full-size 1911 in Serpas, BTW.)

It's been beaten to death on this forum many times, but if you're drawing with your finger on the trigger, I can only assume you have arthritis or other joint issues. The Serpa in no way forces a person to do so - in fact, the "button" placement places your index finger along the frame above the trigger. This is borne out by my experience (carrying and drawing two different pistols in Serpas) as well as others' experience.
Yup, I've seen and participated in that discussion. That's why I included the "I know this is a preference and training thing" comment. I simply found the ALS draw to match my style better, pure and simple. I've also found it amazingly comfortable, so in regards to this OP, this seemed like a worthwhile point to bring up. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

G30Mike

I'm 5'11" 150 pounds. I know exactly what you're feeling. I just wear it at about 4 o'clock and have no issues. Been carrying there for so long that if I moved it I would have to retrain myself on drawing.
Sometimes due to body type we just have to make a comprimise where we can comfortably carry.

matt2636

have you tried wearing a belt a little tighter? if its rubbing im guessing its a little loose. not only that fitting the holster to the belt size. wearing a holster loose can be like buying a pair of boots to big. your gunna get blisters

11B2O

Your belt might very well be the problem. I wear a Tactical Tailor riggers belt and I love it. It's comfortable enough to wear around everyday, yet it rugged enough to hold up my Glock 23 in holster with 2 spare mags in holster. And if you need to make it tighter or looser you can do it without undoing it.