Thread: Open Carry Volunteer work

Open Carry Volunteer work

Hey,

I am currently looking for possible ways to volunteer in the open carry community. The reason that i am doing this is one that i want to be more involved in the community and that i am currently doing a project for college and i need to work with the community to become more involved in the community. So if anyone has some information on how i can volunteer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is no "community" in the sense that you seem to be looking for. We have no office(s). We have no officers. The only agenda we seem to have is that OC should be as well tolerated by the general public as seeing soccer moms pushing baby strollers. To that end we all, in varying ways and at varying levels, seem to support an agenda of pushing for legislation to a) restore rights previously legislated away and b) improve protections against that happening again.

And welcome to OCDO. Please stick around and read lots of threads to see what and who we are.

As for volunteer opportunities - the only thing I can think of is to babysit Peter Nap's berry patches and shoo the bears away. He seems to have little success in keeping that position filled.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site Mike!

Ed or one of the other Novaites will be picking up trash or something like that soon.
    As a little more ambitious project, you might contact Proshooter here, and figure out a safety program.

It's hard to really come up with anything useful North of Ashland, but someone will come up with something. If you ever get to Fairfax, you could polish Novacop's Halo. All the fallout from Culpeper has tarnished it.

Skid is close but I won't have any Bear problems for a couple weeks. It's the other neighbors I'm having trouble with right now.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org.

While not strictly an open carry group, VCDL does a lot for gun rights in VA. They are always looking for volunteers to man the various gun show/event tables. I open carry while volunteering and it helps raise awareness. You'd be surprised at the number of folks who go to gun shows yet don't know that open carry is legal and/or accepted. Sign up for the email alert and you'll get a list of volunteer activities.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Welcome to OCDO.

All you need to do is find a volunteer opportunity and volunteer. The fact that you're open carrying will say a lot more about the volunteer opportunity you chose than about you. There are many organizations that need volunteers. The Washington Post carries a list on Thursdays (in the local living section) of organizations that need volunteer assistance. I'm considering a volunteer opportunity now, but I haven't gone in OC yet ... we'll see what happens.

There are organized trash pick-ups -- Ed's is first and probably best known, but others have organized them. You're in Ed's area, so feel free to join his group when they go out.

Good luck!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Ed or one of the other Novaites will be picking up trash or something like that soon.
    Very soon.. working on dates now
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Have you ever done any process serving? Want to?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Have you ever done any process serving? Want to?
    What exactly is process serving?
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    What exactly is process serving?
    That's where you take legal papers and give them to the person to whom they're directed in the way the law requires (e.g., some things have to be personally handed, some things can be taped to the door of a home, some things can be left with someone in the house, etc.), depending on what kind of papers they are. Then you fill out some forms saying "I'm serving process and I did it." along with some details, and deliver the forms to the court.

When I need that done, I know exactly what's required and how to do what needs doing, so you don't have to know all that stuff. And I prepare the forms for filing. The most crucial thing is that the forms have to get to the right clerk's desk in the right courthouse, within the right amount of time (generally 72 hours), but I know about all that stuff, too.

This would be in situations in which the Citizens' Defense Rights Institute (a nonprofit lawfirm) is handling the case. There are three right now where that's going to be needed shortly: the Surry County "ferry tale", the Scottish Games gone wrong, and the Richmond Police gun-theft cases.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That's where you take legal papers and give them to the person to whom they're directed in the way the law requires (e.g., some things have to be personally handed, some things can be taped to the door of a home, some things can be left with someone in the house, etc.), depending on what kind of papers they are. Then you fill out some forms saying "I'm serving process and I did it." along with some details, and deliver the forms to the court.

When I need that done, I know exactly what's required and how to do what needs doing, so you don't have to know all that stuff. And I prepare the forms for filing. The most crucial thing is that the forms have to get to the right clerk's desk in the right courthouse, within the right amount of time (generally 72 hours), but I know about all that stuff, too.

This would be in situations in which the Citizens' Defense Rights Institute (a nonprofit lawfirm) is handling the case. There are three right now where that's going to be needed shortly: the Surry County "ferry tale", the Scottish Games gone wrong, and the Richmond Police gun-theft cases.
    Could be interesting work. PM me when you need this done. If I can assist, depending on work, I will let you know. Working around a military schedule can be difficult sometimes ya know.
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    We have no office(s).
    Speak for yourself. I have an office, and I OC there every day.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Speak for yourself. I have an office, and I OC there every day.
    You, sir, are at best a "neighborhood" but certainly not a "community".

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You, sir, are at best a "neighborhood" but certainly not a "community".

stay safe.
    Perhaps...at least I'm not the village idiot.

We have Obama for that.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/