• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Volunteer work

Mike_James

Hey,

I am currently looking for possible ways to volunteer in the open carry community. The reason that i am doing this is one that i want to be more involved in the community and that i am currently doing a project for college and i need to work with the community to become more involved in the community. So if anyone has some information on how i can volunteer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There is no "community" in the sense that you seem to be looking for. We have no office(s). We have no officers. The only agenda we seem to have is that OC should be as well tolerated by the general public as seeing soccer moms pushing baby strollers. To that end we all, in varying ways and at varying levels, seem to support an agenda of pushing for legislation to a) restore rights previously legislated away and b) improve protections against that happening again.

And welcome to OCDO. Please stick around and read lots of threads to see what and who we are.

As for volunteer opportunities - the only thing I can think of is to babysit Peter Nap's berry patches and shoo the bears away. He seems to have little success in keeping that position filled.:D

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site Mike!

Ed or one of the other Novaites will be picking up trash or something like that soon.
As a little more ambitious project, you might contact Proshooter here, and figure out a safety program.

It's hard to really come up with anything useful North of Ashland, but someone will come up with something. If you ever get to Fairfax, you could polish Novacop's Halo. :lol: All the fallout from Culpeper has tarnished it.

Skid is close but I won't have any Bear problems for a couple weeks. It's the other neighbors I'm having trouble with right now.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org.

While not strictly an open carry group, VCDL does a lot for gun rights in VA. They are always looking for volunteers to man the various gun show/event tables. I open carry while volunteering and it helps raise awareness. You'd be surprised at the number of folks who go to gun shows yet don't know that open carry is legal and/or accepted. Sign up for the email alert and you'll get a list of volunteer activities.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO.

All you need to do is find a volunteer opportunity and volunteer. The fact that you're open carrying will say a lot more about the volunteer opportunity you chose than about you. There are many organizations that need volunteers. The Washington Post carries a list on Thursdays (in the local living section) of organizations that need volunteer assistance. I'm considering a volunteer opportunity now, but I haven't gone in OC yet ... we'll see what happens.

There are organized trash pick-ups -- Ed's is first and probably best known, but others have organized them. You're in Ed's area, so feel free to join his group when they go out.

Good luck!

user

Accomplished Advocate
What exactly is process serving?

That's where you take legal papers and give them to the person to whom they're directed in the way the law requires (e.g., some things have to be personally handed, some things can be taped to the door of a home, some things can be left with someone in the house, etc.), depending on what kind of papers they are. Then you fill out some forms saying "I'm serving process and I did it." along with some details, and deliver the forms to the court.

When I need that done, I know exactly what's required and how to do what needs doing, so you don't have to know all that stuff. And I prepare the forms for filing. The most crucial thing is that the forms have to get to the right clerk's desk in the right courthouse, within the right amount of time (generally 72 hours), but I know about all that stuff, too.

This would be in situations in which the Citizens' Defense Rights Institute (a nonprofit lawfirm) is handling the case. There are three right now where that's going to be needed shortly: the Surry County "ferry tale", the Scottish Games gone wrong, and the Richmond Police gun-theft cases.

MagiK_SacK

That's where you take legal papers and give them to the person to whom they're directed in the way the law requires (e.g., some things have to be personally handed, some things can be taped to the door of a home, some things can be left with someone in the house, etc.), depending on what kind of papers they are. Then you fill out some forms saying "I'm serving process and I did it." along with some details, and deliver the forms to the court.

When I need that done, I know exactly what's required and how to do what needs doing, so you don't have to know all that stuff. And I prepare the forms for filing. The most crucial thing is that the forms have to get to the right clerk's desk in the right courthouse, within the right amount of time (generally 72 hours), but I know about all that stuff, too.

This would be in situations in which the Citizens' Defense Rights Institute (a nonprofit lawfirm) is handling the case. There are three right now where that's going to be needed shortly: the Surry County "ferry tale", the Scottish Games gone wrong, and the Richmond Police gun-theft cases.

Could be interesting work. PM me when you need this done. If I can assist, depending on work, I will let you know. Working around a military schedule can be difficult sometimes ya know.