• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No guns allowed lapeer sheriff dept

PDinDetroit

I was up to the Lapeer "Gravel Pit" on Sunday Afternoon/Evening and gentleman told me that Lapeer is trying to discourage Open Carry (mentioned County Sheriff). I was surprised by that but not surprised by this after having heard that. Too bad really, I like the Lapeer area and have considered moving there.

You let me know when the meeting will be for the County Commission if the Sheriff does not handle it properly. I got your back and so will others.

BTW - The Under-Sheriff basically admitted on your audio that he is DENYING YOUR RIGHTS. Clear Violation of MCL 752.11, but I believe it is better to try to work with them to help them understand that they are not in compliance with State Law (MCL 123.1102), that by doing do they can lose their Qualified Immunity, and be subject to a Deprivation of Civil Rights Lawsuit.

LAW ENFORCEMENT (EXCERPT) Act 158 of 1966 said:
MCL 752.11 Upholding or enforcing the law; duty of public officials.

Sec. 1.

Any public official, appointed or elected, who is responsible for enforcing or upholding any law of this state and who wilfully and knowingly fails to uphold or enforce the law with the result that any person's legal rights are denied is guilty of a misdemeanor.

History: 1966, Act 158, Eff. Mar. 10, 1967

VW_Factor

I simply wonder how on earth a deputy, or under-sheriff, etc.. Can even consider a Sheriffs office "a business".

You get tax dollars? That is no business sir.

xd shooter

Is there a Prison or jail/ correctional facility at that site/building?

800.283 Weapons; prohibitions.

(3) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the correctional facility, a weapon or other implement
which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or in assisting a prisoner to escape from
imprisonment, shall not be brought into or onto any correctional facility.

The Cass County Sheriff's Dept is signed "No Weapons Allowed" due to it also being a correctional facility in the same building.

Hmmm..

Lapeer County Jail
3231 John Conley Dr, Lapeer, MI

Lapeer County Sheriff's Office
3231 John Conley drive
Lapeer.MI 48446
(810) 664-1801

Same address...I think maybe you got off lucky. :)

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Is there a Prison or jail/ correctional facility at that site/building?

800.283 Weapons; prohibitions.

The Cass County Sheriff's Dept is signed "No Weapons Allowed" due to it also being a correctional facility in the same building.

Hmmm..

Same address...I think maybe you got off lucky. :)

If it is County Jail, then it should still fall under Preemption and Public Areas are not PFZ nor can they be made such without some other prevailing Michigan Law or Federal Law.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT) Act 319 of 1990 said:
123.1101 Definitions.

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county.

(b) “Pistol” means that term as defined in section 222 of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being section 750.222 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-319-of-1990

Since the Under-Sheriff did not state it was a CRIME, then the "got off lucky" comment I do not understand. If you have a Legal Cite showing it to be a CRIME, I sure would like to see it!

xd shooter

Stainless, I don't understand what you mean by unpublished or unlisted? Can you spell it out for me, I'm confused..

3) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the correctional facility, a weapon or other implement
which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or in assisting a prisoner to escape from
imprisonment, shall not be brought into or onto any correctional facility.

I did notice that there was no specified penalty or whether it was a felony or misdemeanor to do so, But the language is pretty plain.

"Shall not be brought into any correctional facility".

I suppose the argument could be made as to WHERE the correctional facility starts and ends, since I did not find any specific definition I suppose the Sheriff believes it starts at the door.

Unless you can provide a cite as to otherwise of course. :)

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Stainless, I don't understand what you mean by unpublished or unlisted? Can you spell it out for me, I'm confused..

I did notice that there was no specified penalty or whether it was a felony or misdemeanor to do so, But the language is pretty plain.

"Shall not be brought into any correctional facility".

I suppose the argument could be made as to WHERE the correctional facility starts and ends, since I did not find any specific definition I suppose the Sheriff believes it starts at the door.

Unless you can provide a cite as to otherwise of course. :)

That is not a Legal Cite as you have provided No Links to the law. Please do so!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Same old song & dance......

These person(s) female at window & under-sheriff need to take a refresher course in how to speak to the public. They were in my opinion very disrespectful to the OP. In essence he was treated like a 12yr. [In their defense - he does look young, but not that young ;)]. Now this is the question people should be asking: why is the sheriff so worried about the public? If you were some nut wanting to go on a shooting spree would the stupid & unlawful sign on the door stop you? I highly doubt it!:rolleyes: So the motive must be something else, maybe it's keeping the little people in their places? The staff there really seem to have the - it's us "troops" against you piss-ants mentally from what I heard. If that is truly how they feel they need to resign as PUBLIC SERVANTS!

This is the same crap WaCo tried to pull. *Note the undercover officer who starts barking orders is the Wayne Co. Rep for the Concealed Licensing board, if anyone there should of known gun laws it would be him one would think? ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNLjuGVfPU&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8Xc_cteO8&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

xd shooter

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zz...px?page=GetMCLDocument&objectname=mcl-791-215

791.215 “Correctional facility” defined.
Sec. 15.

As used in this act, “correctional facility” means a facility or institution which is maintained and operated by the department.

Well...That didn't help!! :)

umm...http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

Scroll down to section 800.283 Weapons; prohibitions.

Here, this better defines it...http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zz...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-800-283

Just as a question here, does anyone really think that carrying a weapon into a jail is a good idea?

Last edited: