• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Colonial Beach

hunter45

I'm going to Colonial Beach for the first time this weekend, and I plan on visiting a place called Riverboat. It has a Virginia address, but there is gambling inside since I guess part of the building is over the Potomac River which is owned by Maryland. How does this work with carrying firearms? Is it legal since it's a Virginia address, or is it illegal because the building reaches out over the water into Maryland?

TFred

You'd have about 20 minutes, which is how long it will take for the Maryland State Troopers to arrive, once they get the call.

And I'm just kidding... You don't have any time at all, because you can never tell if there might be a Trooper in the restaurant.

The Riverboat is IN Maryland. All the normal, insane, Maryland gun-laws apply once you cross the mean low-tide water line.

Don't do it. At all.

My humble advice.

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
You'd have about 20 minutes, which is how long it will take for the Maryland State Troopers to arrive, once they get the call.

And I'm just kidding... You don't have any time at all, because you can never tell if there might be a Trooper in the restaurant.

The Riverboat is IN Maryland. All the normal, insane, Maryland gun-laws apply once you cross the mean low-tide water line.

Don't do it. At all.

My humble advice.

TFred
+1:(

USNA69

This is a very interesting scenario.

Unless the MD LEOs arrive and depart by boat, they would have to access the riverboat from VA territory. If they made an arrest, they would have to transport the detainee across VA territory.

Does that involve jurisdictional or extradition issues with VSP??

Surely VA and MD have worked this out long before now.

TFred

This is a very interesting scenario.

Unless the MD LEOs arrive and depart by boat, they would have to access the riverboat from VA territory. If they made an arrest, they would have to transport the detainee across VA territory.

Does that involve jurisdictional or extradition issues with VSP??

Surely VA and MD have worked this out long before now.
Yep, and I don't think there are any issues. There are plenty (well... enough for them to have already worked it out) of bar fights in the Maryland waters adjacent to Virginia.

TFred