• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

With gas prices on the rise...

Daylen

Hell no. Definitely not these days, that's for sure. Both sides have lost their damn minds, IMO. The only reason I support President Obama is because he is Pragmatic.

How? Perhaps because he lies through his teeth when it might help him?

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

How? Perhaps because he lies through his teeth when it might help him?

Nah. He is more practical than many politicians that I hear, and read about. I would get into the 'how' but it's not worth it.

***For sh*ts and giggles:

"Obama gives order for snipers to shoot pirates to free captain " http://www.smh.com.au/world/obama-g...ot-pirates-to-free-captain-20090413-a45t.html

The headline is taken a bit far but we understand what happen. IMO, a practical decision. I look forward to you opening fire on this example.

This link is a pretty good read, concerning President Obama and Pragmatism. (Republican leaning, or so it seems):
"Pragmatism is a philosophical movement, developed in the United States, which holds that both the meaning and the truth of any idea is a function of its practical outcome."

http://www.politicalpolicy.net/2010/04/obamas-dewey-pragmatic-worldview-and.html

Although I don't necessarily agree with a number of his premises, assertions, and correlations, it is a nice read, IMO. (I have it on my e-reader...I did take the time to make a PDF of it, to read it a few times).

Last edited:

Tawnos

PwbNW.jpg

2J2wo.jpg

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Look, I want Obama out of office as much as the next guy, but to say that the president has anything to do with gas prices is ridiculous.

That is, unless you expect him to go nuke China and India to curb demand for oil.

I would say that his interference with off shore drilling, his rejection of the oil pipeline, and the fact that he's issued zero new permits to drill on federal lands has something to do with the price. It seems perfectly plausible to me that he wants prices as high as possible to manipulate people into accepting the billions of dollars that have been wasted on failed "green" industries.

It is true he doesn't have the power to make any more of a significant difference than that. For which I thank the Almighty God.

I do find it amusing though that back when Bush was in office and gas hit $2 a gallon it was ENTIRELY his fault, and still is according to the moonbats living under rocks with their fingers in their ears chanting:

"yes we can..."

jbone

With gas prices on the rise...I keep asking myself where are the same idiot Pelosi mob’s that blamed and attacked Bush, screaming bloody murder for higher gas prices, which we all know were lower then Obama’s current prices.
Yes “Electricity rates will have to necessarily have to skyrocket”, no Keystone pipeline, no drilling… all on Obama. And, there’s Obama’s Energy Sec’s past statement wishing for Europe’s higher gas prices for America. The liberals are not outraged at Obama for the higher prices? Obama’s message of Transformation is as clear, and as cynical as the day he spoke it.

Tawnos

With gas prices on the rise...I keep asking myself where are the same idiot Pelosi mob’s that blamed and attacked Bush, screaming bloody murder for higher gas prices, which we all know were lower then Obama’s current prices.
Yes “Electricity rates will have to necessarily have to skyrocket”, no Keystone pipeline, no drilling… all on Obama. And, there’s Obama’s Energy Sec’s past statement wishing for Europe’s higher gas prices for America. The liberals are not outraged at Obama for the higher prices? Obama’s message of Transformation is as clear, and as cynical as the day he spoke it.

The president (Bush or Obama) has about as much effect on the price of gas as I do. Which is to say: not much.

There were idiots who yelled at Bush for price swings (and you should check your data about "lower than current" - look at inflation-adjusted numbers), and there are currently idiots who are yelling at Obama. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you sit, if you're blaming the president for high gas prices or praising him for low, you're not aware of how the price of gas works.

Beretta92FSLady

"In 2011, the average gas price was $3.48. In 2008, it was $3.39." http://www.rgj.com/article/20120313/NEWS20/303130046/Are-media-biased-gas-stories-

"Gas has jumped 54 cents to an average of $3.81 per gallon this year. By next month, the price could break the all-time record of $4.11 in July 2008." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ficient-car_n_1345701.html?ref=green&ir=Green

Keystone will have zero effect on gas prices in the U.S. Hell, the pipeline runs through the U.S., it doesn't stop in the U.S. And as some on here have argued, we are exporting gas because we have too much.

Instability in Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel, Iran, Palestine. The latter three have been ramping up lately. Then we have speculators. Oh, and a weak dollar.

I am pissed about high gas prices but President Obama has little to do with that, just like Bush had little to do with high fuel prices; that said, Bush W. did take us into two (unnecessary) wars, weakened the dollar, and was behind the reigns as the economy tanked but we won't get into that, will we?

jbone

When President Bush took office on January 20, 2001, the average gas price was $1.46 per gallon. Six and a half years later, on August 27, 2007, the national average gas price was $2.76, 89% higher.
When Obama took office in January 2009, the average price of a gallon of gasoline was $1.79.By December 2011, the price per gallon was $3.28, an 83 percent increase from January 2009.

[url]http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/miscellaneous/president-bush-and-gasoline-prices/
[/URL]

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/under-obama-price-gas-has-jumped-83-percent-ground-beef-24-percent-bacon-22-percent

Fact's, Bush’s two term 89% increase in the price of gas, and yet in less than one term Obama has darn near matched that with an 83% increase, and still rises! To say the radical and failed poilices of a president (Obama) doesn't in effect prices is not having the fact's, or just ignoring.

Beretta92FSLady

When President Bush took office on January 20, 2001, the average gas price was $1.46 per gallon. Six and a half years later, on August 27, 2007, the national average gas price was $2.76, 89% higher.
When Obama took office in January 2009, the average price of a gallon of gasoline was $1.79.By December 2011, the price per gallon was $3.28, an 83 percent increase from January 2009.

http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/miscellaneous/president-bush-and-gasoline-prices/

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/under-obama-price-gas-has-jumped-83-percent-ground-beef-24-percent-bacon-22-percent

Fact's, Bush’s two term 89% increase in the price of gas, and yet in less than one term Obama has darn near matched that with an 83% increase, and still rises! To say the radical and failed poilices of a president (Obama) doesn't in effect prices
is not having the fact's, or just ignoring.

If those are the two alternatives, I will choose "ignoring" the so-called 'facts'.

09jisaac

Fact's, Bush’s two term 89% increase in the price of gas, and yet in less than one term Obama has darn near matched that with an 83% increase, and still rises! To say the radical and failed poilices of a president (Obama) doesn't in effect prices is not having the fact's, or just ignoring.

If those are the two alternatives, I will choose "ignoring" the so-called 'facts'.

We all know that policies affect prices. But how much of an effect does it have?

That could be like saying that earth's spin affects trajectory of a bullet.

jbone

We all know that policies affect prices. But how much of an effect does it have?

I think it's easy enought the figure each time I fill up. I found over the past three years that each time the village ass has open his mouth with a policy to fix (covert for damage) prices have risen.

Tawnos

[url]http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/miscellaneous/president-bush-and-gasoline-prices/
[/URL]

Thanks for demonstrating to the crowd that you don't understand how gasoline prices work. Hopefully they're smart enough to see through the bull.

Despite the fact that the US was a net exporter of oil for the first time since 1949, we have speculators that are causing the market price to surge.

You are picking arbitrary points in time and pointing to the president as being the cause of the changes, which is ludicrous. From the EIA's web site, you can get the full history of gas prices (more concise version that doesn't require excel). Those are not inflation adjusted numbers, but you can find a nice chart with those on the same site.

If you look at those numbers, you'll see that gasoline prices peaked in june of 2008 at an inflation-adjusted price of 4.27. The prices then swung to about the same real price as at the start of 2000. This appears to have been a massive overcorrection, as you can follow the trend line and see the steady increase in prices from the end of 2001 onward.

Basically, by the charts... gas prices are in line with where they could reasonably be expected to fall. With the exception of the price correction from 12/2008 through 3/2011 (getting us back in line with the trend), we've had pretty stable gas prices, subject to the whims of market speculation.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
This post isn't so much about the price of gas, and the moonbat messiah's ability or inability to have an effect on it. The point is his agitprop tools in the LA Times had dredged up some insipid MMGW crap, which I think is a precursor to justify his waste of billions in "green" industries, and to gloss over what part he does indeed play in thwarting increased production offshore, on federal lands, refusing to allow Keystone and complete incompetence in foriegn affairs. All these issues do have some effect of how speculators project supply, though his acolytes are still going to continue their chanting.

In regards to the asinine article about "Greenland's loss of ice being irreversable" as if there never was a time when there wasn't ice on that continent, that it's our fault it's all going to melt and it will never come back.

If you truly believe human industry and our production of CO2, which is about 3% of all the atmospheric CO2 levels, and CO2 itself accounts for 3% of the "greenhouse gases" has a significant effect on the temperature of the earth, here's how you can help:

On earthday 2012 put a clear plastic bag over your head, seal it with duct tape around your neck and contain all the CO2 you exhale that day. MMGW will no longer be an issue the very next day, the earth be a cooler place to live, and the collective intelligence of mankind will double.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

jbone

..Hopefully they're smart enough to see through the bull.

Yes, and I hope American's are smart enough to look at both sides of the argument and see the world according Tawnos is not the world we live in. I understand your subtle insult perfectly, just as I understand gas pricing can realistically be affected by a President’s failed and radical, foreign and domestic policies.

I suppose his radical politics didn't have any impact on the rising prices of guns and Ammo a few years back.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Yes, and I hope American's are smart enough to look at both sides of the argument and see the world according Tawnos is not the world we live in. I understand your subtle insult perfectly, just as I understand gas pricing can realistically be affected by a President’s failed and radical, foreign and domestic policies.

I suppose his radical politics didn't have any impact on the rising prices of guns and Ammo a few years back.

The difference being he didn't have any desire too see a flood of guns and ammo in private possesion. This was an even entirely in spite of him, not because of something he intentionally manipulated or was incompetent too improve upon.