Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: permit to purchase hours and wait period

permit to purchase hours and wait period

hello there is a few things that i would like to address in this thread
    i will comment about my local pd first burton police

Taken from http://www.burtonmi.com/index.asp?DID=6

Administrative offices and the Detective Bureau are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

Handgun purchase permits, registration and permits to carry concealed weapons (CCW) are only available during the following hours:
    Tuesday through Friday
    10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
    2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
    And secondly flint PD where my buddy lives
    http://www.cityofflint.com/police/faq.asp (bottom of the page)

How do I go about getting a purchase permit to buy a gun?

There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D. There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.
    so burton does not allow you to get PTP during all normal hours only during certain hours
    and flint has a 24 hour wait period

http://www.migunowners.org/pub/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf

please refer to page one paragraphs 3 and 4 in reference to burton pd
    and pretty much all of page 2 in reference to flint pd

so my question would be, is there any way to get these departments to start following 1927 PA 372, MLC 28.421 (A.K.A. firearms act) as described in this July 14, 2006 letter from the AG without having to take said entity's to court?

Gotta make sure our Lawmen are following the law

ETA: flint PD no longer charges $5 for PTP. They now only charge $2 for a notary fee
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 03-13-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

This happens all over the state

Taylor has limited their permit times to: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday between the hours of 8am to noon. So you have 12 hours in a week to obtain a PP? Anyone who works a day shift must take off time to do this. Depending on what day a citizen drops off the app., they may have to make a second trip days later to pick up the permit. The intent is clear: to save the records department time by reducing the permit apps they must process. Is it legal? Is it right? Will the AG do anything about it? These are all valid questions.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 03-13-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: add info
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

They cannot charge the $5 fee either.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    They cannot charge the $5 fee either.
    They can't charge a fee for the permit but they can charge up to $10.00 for the notarization service, but they are supposed to allow you to take it to a notary of your choice if you don't want to pay their fee.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

City of Farmington made me wait a frigging week to get mine. I asked when I dropped it off how long it was going to take (I assumed minutes) the lady was like we'll call you when its ready. I was like well is that today, tomorrow, her answer was depends...

I left a bit peeved cause I had made plans to go the range with my new gun that weekend...that didn't happen...

Should have my CPL soon soon whatever, but its still unfair to others.

That sucks some of you have to wait. Only time I had to wait was because their system was down but they had me come back a couple hours later to pick up the permit when it was back up and running. And from what I can tell their dept. is anti-gun.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Houghton County is 24/7 and only takes a couple of minutes. I took the "quiz" when I got my 1st handgun in '96, and haven't taken it since.
    Rand Paul 2016

livonia , mi is a 3 day wait and a 5$ fee. plus their hours are 8-4 mon-fri so if you apply thursday or friday you have to wait for 5 days because they dont work the weekend

I met with Sterling Heights city attorney today to address their PD"s policy of a mandatory $10 notary fee and "no firearms" sign in the PD lobby. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I met with Sterling Heights city attorney today to address their PD"s policy of a mandatory $10 notary fee and "no firearms" sign in the PD lobby. We'll see how that goes.
    Cool! Thank you for ALL YOUR EFFORTS!

+1

Good job! Did they ask you to disarm for the meeting?
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Good job! Did they ask you to disarm for the meeting?
    I was wearing a suit so I was CC. The meeting was held at the attorney's private office, so who knows what he would have said had I OC'd.

+1

I was wearing a suit so I was CC. The meeting was held at the attorney's private office, so who knows what he would have said had I OC'd.
    understood.

Purchase permit

Waterford TWP is Tuesday,Thursday,Friday 8 am to 4pm there is a $10.00 notary fee

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    st clair determined that i was correct in that a municipality cannot "force" you to use their notary. it violates state notary law:
    http://www.forums.opencarry.com/foru...ing-preemption
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Last time I was @ Oakland County Sheriff, I think it was a $5 fee for notarization, it used to be free...sigh. Hell, at least you get yer PP right there...When I went to my buddys house to buy his pt1911 I didnt have to make 2 trips back and forth to pontiac to get a RI-60, I got mine from the Rochester Police Dept. They almost didnt give it to me since I wasnt a resident of Rochester but of Rochester Hills, but I explained to her that I dont wanna make 2 trips so the lady gave me one once I called...lulz.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiVJ View Post
    I explained to her that I dont wanna make 2 trips so the lady gave me one once I called...lulz.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Just print one.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    nevermind
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 03-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiVJ View Post
    Last time I was @ Oakland County Sheriff, I think it was a $5 fee for notarization, it used to be free...sigh. Hell, at least you get yer PP right there...When I went to my buddys house to buy his pt1911 I didnt have to make 2 trips back and forth to pontiac to get a RI-60, I got mine from the Rochester Police Dept. They almost didnt give it to me since I wasnt a resident of Rochester but of Rochester Hills, but I explained to her that I dont wanna make 2 trips so the lady gave me one once I called...lulz.
    print your own and see if your bank will notarize it. my old bank, 5/3 used to provide free notary service.

City of Flint

So . . . . . What's the deal with the City of Flint? I was in there Friday to get a permit to purchase a handgun. They charged me $13.00 for processing and said that I have to pay an additional charge (which is for an background search) when I come back for the permit.

what happened to the $2.00 for the notary?

that's all illegal. they can't even force you to use their notary. this is from their own website:

There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D. There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.

PER STATE STATUTE, WE ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO CHARGE THE $5.00 FEE FOR THE PROCESSING OF A PURCHASE PERMIT. WE ARE, HOWEVER, ALLOWED TO CHARGE A $2.00 FEE FOR THE NOTARY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE PERMITS.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 08-18-2012 at 08:13 PM.

they can't even charge you the 5, so i'm not sure where they got the $13 from...
    MCL 28.423 used to allow a fee, but it was repealed by PA 381 of 2000
    now this applies:
    Michigan Act 319 of 1990:
    “A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.”

read here, i detail how i handled it with city of st clair and the applicable laws are cited:
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 08-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Re: permit to purchase hours and wait period

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    they can't even charge you the 5, so i'm not sure where they got the $13 from...
    MCL 28.423 used to allow a fee, but it was repealed by PA 381 of 2000
    now this applies:
    Michigan Act 319 of 1990:
    “A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.”

read here, i detail how i handled it with city of st clair and the applicable laws are cited:
    This a good example of why the PP should be tossed, or at minimum taken out of the hands of local PD's. Sadly there are too many local cities that are more than happy to break the law, because they know there is no penalty for their crimes.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    that's all illegal. they can't even force you to use their notary. this is from their own website:

PER STATE STATUTE, WE ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO CHARGE THE $5.00 FEE FOR THE PROCESSING OF A PURCHASE PERMIT. WE ARE, HOWEVER, ALLOWED TO CHARGE A $2.00 FEE FOR THE NOTARY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE PERMITS.
    You are, however, able to refuse their notary service and have it done yourself elsewhere. If you have Chase bank they will do it for free, as of last time I needed a purchase permit. I went through this same dog-and-pony show with Ferndale and met with some success. There's some good video but I'm reluctant to post it publicly, pm me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    You are, however, able to refuse their notary service and have it done yourself elsewhere. If you have Chase bank they will do it for free, as of last time I needed a purchase permit. I went through this same dog-and-pony show with Ferndale and met with some success. There's some good video but I'm reluctant to post it publicly, pm me if you're interested.
    yes, i know, but somehow they are coming up with a 13 dollar charge for the guy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast