• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

permit to purchase hours and wait period

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
that's all illegal. they can't even force you to use their notary. this is from their own website:
How do I go about getting a purchase permit to buy a gun?

There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D. There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.

PER STATE STATUTE, WE ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO CHARGE THE $5.00 FEE FOR THE PROCESSING OF A PURCHASE PERMIT. WE ARE, HOWEVER, ALLOWED TO CHARGE A $2.00 FEE FOR THE NOTARY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE PERMITS.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
they can't even charge you the 5, so i'm not sure where they got the $13 from...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
MCL 28.423 used to allow a fee, but it was repealed by PA 381 of 2000
now this applies:
Michigan Act 319 of 1990:
“A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.”

read here, i detail how i handled it with city of st clair and the applicable laws are cited:
http://www.forums.opencarry.com/for...ictory-in-Saint-Clair-MI-regarding-preemption

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
they can't even charge you the 5, so i'm not sure where they got the $13 from...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
MCL 28.423 used to allow a fee, but it was repealed by PA 381 of 2000
now this applies:
Michigan Act 319 of 1990:
“A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.”

read here, i detail how i handled it with city of st clair and the applicable laws are cited:
http://www.forums.opencarry.com/for...ictory-in-Saint-Clair-MI-regarding-preemption

This a good example of why the PP should be tossed, or at minimum taken out of the hands of local PD's. Sadly there are too many local cities that are more than happy to break the law, because they know there is no penalty for their crimes.:(

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Evil Creamsicle

that's all illegal. they can't even force you to use their notary. this is from their own website:
How do I go about getting a purchase permit to buy a gun?

There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D. There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.

PER STATE STATUTE, WE ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO CHARGE THE $5.00 FEE FOR THE PROCESSING OF A PURCHASE PERMIT. WE ARE, HOWEVER, ALLOWED TO CHARGE A $2.00 FEE FOR THE NOTARY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE PERMITS.

You are, however, able to refuse their notary service and have it done yourself elsewhere. If you have Chase bank they will do it for free, as of last time I needed a purchase permit. I went through this same dog-and-pony show with Ferndale and met with some success. There's some good video but I'm reluctant to post it publicly, pm me if you're interested.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
You are, however, able to refuse their notary service and have it done yourself elsewhere. If you have Chase bank they will do it for free, as of last time I needed a purchase permit. I went through this same dog-and-pony show with Ferndale and met with some success. There's some good video but I'm reluctant to post it publicly, pm me if you're interested.
yes, i know, but somehow they are coming up with a 13 dollar charge for the guy?

detroit_fan

This a good example of why the PP should be tossed, or at minimum taken out of the hands of local PD's. Sadly there are too many local cities that are more than happy to break the law, because they know there is no penalty for their crimes.:(

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Couldn't agree more! That is why HB5225 and it's companion bills are so important imo. Getting rid of this process would do more to help gun ownership in MI than any other current bill imo. Think how many more people will be willing to get a gun if they don't have to go through this garbage.