• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

permit to purchase hours and wait period

RenkaiWulf

hello there is a few things that i would like to address in this thread
i will comment about my local pd first burton police

Taken from http://www.burtonmi.com/index.asp?DID=6

Administrative offices and the Detective Bureau are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

Handgun purchase permits, registration and permits to carry concealed weapons (CCW) are only available during the following hours:
Tuesday through Friday
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

And secondly flint PD where my buddy lives
http://www.cityofflint.com/police/faq.asp (bottom of the page)

How do I go about getting a purchase permit to buy a gun?

There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D. There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.

so burton does not allow you to get PTP during all normal hours only during certain hours
and flint has a 24 hour wait period

http://www.migunowners.org/pub/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf

please refer to page one paragraphs 3 and 4 in reference to burton pd
and pretty much all of page 2 in reference to flint pd

so my question would be, is there any way to get these departments to start following 1927 PA 372, MLC 28.421 (A.K.A. firearms act) as described in this July 14, 2006 letter from the AG without having to take said entity's to court?

Gotta make sure our Lawmen are following the law ;)

ETA: flint PD no longer charges $5 for PTP. They now only charge $2 for a notary fee

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
This happens all over the state

Taylor has limited their permit times to: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday between the hours of 8am to noon. So you have 12 hours in a week to obtain a PP? Anyone who works a day shift must take off time to do this. Depending on what day a citizen drops off the app., they may have to make a second trip days later to pick up the permit. The intent is clear: to save the records department time by reducing the permit apps they must process. Is it legal? Is it right? Will the AG do anything about it? These are all valid questions.

Last edited:

JB248

City of Farmington made me wait a frigging week to get mine. I asked when I dropped it off how long it was going to take (I assumed minutes) the lady was like we'll call you when its ready. I was like well is that today, tomorrow, her answer was depends...

I left a bit peeved cause I had made plans to go the range with my new gun that weekend...that didn't happen...

Should have my CPL soon soon whatever, but its still unfair to others.

xmanhockey7

That sucks some of you have to wait. Only time I had to wait was because their system was down but they had me come back a couple hours later to pick up the permit when it was back up and running. And from what I can tell their dept. is anti-gun.

scot623

I met with Sterling Heights city attorney today to address their PD"s policy of a mandatory $10 notary fee and "no firearms" sign in the PD lobby. We'll see how that goes.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Last time I was @ Oakland County Sheriff, I think it was a $5 fee for notarization, it used to be free...sigh. Hell, at least you get yer PP right there...When I went to my buddys house to buy his pt1911 I didnt have to make 2 trips back and forth to pontiac to get a RI-60, I got mine from the Rochester Police Dept. They almost didnt give it to me since I wasnt a resident of Rochester but of Rochester Hills, but I explained to her that I dont wanna make 2 trips so the lady gave me one once I called...lulz.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Last time I was @ Oakland County Sheriff, I think it was a $5 fee for notarization, it used to be free...sigh. Hell, at least you get yer PP right there...When I went to my buddys house to buy his pt1911 I didnt have to make 2 trips back and forth to pontiac to get a RI-60, I got mine from the Rochester Police Dept. They almost didnt give it to me since I wasnt a resident of Rochester but of Rochester Hills, but I explained to her that I dont wanna make 2 trips so the lady gave me one once I called...lulz.
print your own and see if your bank will notarize it. my old bank, 5/3 used to provide free notary service.

copierfixerguy

City of Flint

So . . . . . What's the deal with the City of Flint? I was in there Friday to get a permit to purchase a handgun. They charged me $13.00 for processing and said that I have to pay an additional charge (which is for an background search) when I come back for the permit.

what happened to the $2.00 for the notary?