• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

Trap

Hermiston, Or.

Recently there has been an increase in gang related activity here. Houses just down the street have been tagged and painted over so often the houses look like they are painted in camo, just because they don't always match the covering paint just right. There have been two gang related shootings just a few months apart and I have learned of a few other incidents that have not been reported in the media. I have decided to carry 100% of the time since this has began. I originally obtained my CHL because it allowed me more latitude as far as carrying a firearm goes. I did not have to be as concerend about how I transported it on my way to go shooting ect. But now that I carry all the time I usually carry concealed. However tonight I carried open in a paddle holster as I went to the local market to get some soda. Held a conversation with the clerks for a few minutes. Nobody even blinked at me carrying. I don't know if they just didn't care or if it is bacause I am in there on a daily basis and they kinda know me. But I was happy that there was not a strong reaction.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Good to hear you're taking measures to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. Welcome to the forum.

Trap

Gangs

Hermiston gang activity?

Punks that wannabe probably.

Wannabe or not they are shooting at eachother and putting others in harms way. The shooting we had at a Cheveron station left one dead and at least one wounded. From what I understand both emptied their magazines within seconds. Amazing someone else was not shot.

VW_Factor

Wannabe or not they are shooting at eachother and putting others in harms way. The shooting we had at a Cheveron station left one dead and at least one wounded. From what I understand both emptied their magazines within seconds. Amazing someone else was not shot.

Certainly not discounting any of their behavior. Simply pointing out, they likely wouldn't survive in an area with a "real gang". They'd be eaten alive.

Carry like your life depends on it.

Trap

Gangs

Certainly not discounting any of their behavior. Simply pointing out, they likely wouldn't survive in an area with a "real gang". They'd be eaten alive.

Carry like your life depends on it.

I can't say I disagree with you. They may not have the "creds" of a real gang. But they are flaunting the whole ms-13 thing. And the bullets they are shooting are real enough. I have just decided to be as prepared as I can and avoid situations and places that draw them out.

I have to say that I am disappointed with the media attention, or lack of, that we have had on the issue. Sometimes the story comes out days or weeks after the fact if it comes out at all. I think the lack of information lulls people into a false sense of security. Like nothing bad is going on in their little town. And if the story is buried on page 20 of the local newspaper, then it couldn't have been that bad. What ever happened to "If it bleeds, it leads"?

Trap

Gangs

Good infromation all around. It mirrors what has been going on here I believe.

Centerfire Citizen

I've been open carrying in Hermiston for a few months now, and just last night I was at Bi-Mart and was at the gun counter getting some reloading stuff. The lady behind the counter then told me that open carrying isn't legal in Hermiston. She is aware that Oregon is an open carry state and she didn't have a problem with me carrying mine at all, but she says the police will take your firearm and its really hard to get back. She has a brother in law that OC's and she says she keeps telling him but he refuses to listen.

Anyone know the ordinance that says open carry is illegal in Hermiston?

hermannr

I've been open carrying in Hermiston for a few months now, and just last night I was at Bi-Mart and was at the gun counter getting some reloading stuff. The lady behind the counter then told me that open carrying isn't legal in Hermiston. She is aware that Oregon is an open carry state and she didn't have a problem with me carrying mine at all, but she says the police will take your firearm and its really hard to get back. She has a brother in law that OC's and she says she keeps telling him but he refuses to listen.

Anyone know the ordinance that says open carry is illegal in Hermiston?

Awful hard to find something that doesn't exist. Loaded OC is legal in OR, anywhere if you have a license to carry anyway.

jerry47

crime drop

it sure has gone down in florida.the eugene/springfield area of oregon is really getting dangerous.i was told by a sheriff just today,that a people living in the rural areas are really getting armed.our state and lane county is laying off so many cops its really disturbing.gun haters want us to believe crime is falling.they should relocate here.but really,you just can't fix stupid!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
it sure has gone down in florida.the eugene/springfield area of oregon is really getting dangerous.i was told by a sheriff just today,that a people living in the rural areas are really getting armed.our state and lane county is laying off so many cops its really disturbing.gun haters want us to believe crime is falling.they should relocate here.but really,you just can't fix stupid!!!

Violent crime is dramatically down.
http://www.wanttoknow.info/g/violent_crime_rates_reduction

Crime drops despite less police.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/nyregion/18nypd.html?_r=2&hp

If you have facts for your particular area that are different , please cite them.

We-the-People

As one who is currently studying criminology in college, I can tell you that the crime drop statistics are not as impressive as they appear. In many jurisdictions, reductions in police response to crimes, reductions in police force size, and other factors are resulting in fewer crimes being REPORTED. This has been going on for more than a decade that I know of personally.

If there is no officer to take the report, there is no crime to report. Here in Oregon, Josephine county has just all but lost its sheriffs department and even told people that they won't be responding to a lot of calls. No cop, no crime report, crime goes down.

There are also numerous documented cases of political intervention in which officers are encouraged to under report, or the reports going out of the jurisdiction are flagrantly under reported.

Statistics are manipulated all the time. It just happens that, in this instance, the manipulations are causing an appearance of a decrease in crime as the numbers of guns, gun owners, and gun carriers is expanding across the country.

Where the truth lies is unknown, and unlikely to ever be dragged out of the data.