• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minnesota Gov. vetoes Stand Your Ground and reciprocal permitting

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/141525753.html?page=1&c=y

Gov. Mark Dayton vetoed an explosive self-defense bill on Monday, saying the lives of police officers could be at risk if citizens are freer to use their guns when they feel threatened.

The governor rejected the measure, saying Minnesota citizens facing threats already have the legal authority to defend themselves and their families. He also cited strong opposition by organizations representing police officers, chiefs of police and county sheriffs.

"When they strongly oppose a measure because they believe it will increase the dangers to them in the performance of their duties, I cannot support it," Dayton said in a veto letter to legislative leaders.

Dayton added that, according to federal figures, there are more than 5 million guns in the state, showing that the "Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is properly being supported by lawmakers and law enforcers. ..." He said state law and court decisions "already provide the authorizations for law-abiding citizens to use deadly force to defend themselves or others, either inside or outside of their homes, so long as that force constitutes 'reasonable force.'"

And he noted prosecutors' concern that the law goes too far in justifying such shootings, allowing "anyone to claim that he or she acted reasonably when using deadly force."

Dayton also objected to requiring Minnesota to recognize concealed weapons permits from all states, which he said would "allow people to carry guns here under the considerably lower standards for the issuance of permits of some other states."

The governor waited three days to veto the bill out of respect to the House sponsor, Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Good Thunder.

"It's a sad day in Minnesota for law enforcement," said Cornish. He said Dayton's decision is "mostly the fault of the chiefs and sheriffs and the talking heads, not the rank and file" and he questioned whether those leaders supported gun-owners rights.

Law enforcement opposed ... MORE
http://ia600509.us.archive.org/5/items/gov.uscourts.nvd.75386/gov.uscourts.nvd.75386.179.0.pdf

Court Declares Newspaper Excerpt on Online Forum is a Non-Infringing Fair Use

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Gov. Mark Dayton vetoed an explosive self-defense bill on Monday,

I am confused. Explosives can't defend themselves or citizens can't defend themselves from cops with explosives? Or citizens can't use explosives to protect themselves? Or the bill is set to detonate in 3... 2... 1...

"When they strongly oppose a measure because they believe it will increase the dangers to them in the performance of their duties, I cannot support it," Dayton said in a veto letter to legislative leaders.

Also nice to know our employees are more worried about themselves than us. Or the Constitution. And have no problem making up lies for no real reason. Increased danger????

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Not suprising. What else would we expect from a Democratic governor? and one that showed his true colors when as an US senator put his tail between his legs and ran from danger. It looked from the vote tally that there would be enough supporting votes to override his veto but I don't think the bi-polar Minnesota legislature is about to attempt to do that. I'm just glad we have a governor with backbone even though we may not agree with everything he does.