• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry for law abidin citizens

ghost913

Me and my best friend were talking about this Saturday. He told Ohio lawmakers are trying to make a law where law abiding citizens don't need a concealed carry license to carry concealed. I just wanted to verify that anyone else has heard about this?

Makarov

Constitutional Carry

I heard from the NRA site that Ohio was a state that was considering of making a Constitutional Carry Law. Basically it will do away with the Concealed Carry permit carry system. Already 4 states have adopted this measure. I hope Ohio does!

GhostOfJefferson

I heard from the NRA site that Ohio was a state that was considering of making a Constitutional Carry Law. Basically it will do away with the Concealed Carry permit carry system. Already 4 states have adopted this measure. I hope Ohio does!

Hey, fellow Buckeyes!

I've heard rumors of the Constitutional Carry thing, but have found no hard and fast links or information about it outside of other people saying they heard rumors here or on other more Ohio specific forums. If somebody has some solid evidence of the legislature considering this I'd be greatly obliged if he/she could post them, as I really want to look over any efforts to see what precisely is or isn't being suggested at the Statehouse level.

Ohio really seems to be sprinting out of the gate with re-normalizing firearms carry, and I'm as happy as a clam in a stream about it! :)

09jisaac

So you lose reciprocity with other states and you lose the ability to ever get to legally carry within 1000 ft of a school? That doesn't really seem worth it. If your permit system is as easy and cheap as Kentucky's then you gain just a little but lose a lot.

The idea constitutional carry would allow CC without a permit but still allow a permit system so you can freely travel to states not so quick to come around and so your state can permit you to be within 1000ft of a school.

GhostOfJefferson

So you lose reciprocity with other states and you lose the ability to ever get to legally carry within 1000 ft of a school? That doesn't really seem worth it. If your permit system is as easy and cheap as Kentucky's then you gain just a little but lose a lot.

The idea constitutional carry would allow CC without a permit but still allow a permit system so you can freely travel to states not so quick to come around and so your state can permit you to be within 1000ft of a school.

I strongly suspect that a CHL system would remain in place, such as we see in Arizona and Wyoming, which would allow one to get a CHL for reciprocal purposes with other states. The 1000 foot thing, I wonder, could be looked at if any real legislation bubbles up.