• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intro with a story

Duec66

Hello, i've been lurking this site today and it has motivated me to OC more often. I am a 31 year old, USMC Veteran (0341) from West Richland, I am not a "gun nut" but I am confident in my ability to protect myself and others around me if threatened.
Now to my story, I was on my way to Owens Rd to do some practicing when I stopped at the 27th and 395 Starbucks for a cup of joe. I had my H&K USP .40 compact in a holster on my hip. Two uniformed KPD officers where sitting drinking coffee when I entered, as I was putting some fru fru in my coffee one officer approached and asked what agency I was with? I guess my demeanor and dress hinted LEO, (at that time I was a Hanford Patrol Security Police Officer II, not typical Law Enforcement), I answered him. He smirked and suggested that next time I decide to open carry, I should display my shield also so that I didn't "scare the public." I didn't reply and he went about his business as did I. After reading some posts on this site, I now have some things I would have liked to say to him.

Looking forward to spreading the OC word to the uninformed public.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Deuc66 said" I now have some things I would have liked to say to him." and maybe a few things you did not have to say

Welcome to OCDO. Sounds like it went well.

amlevin

Maybe he'd be more impressed with one of those $10 CCW Badges than most of the rest here are ;);)

Wonder what would happen if someone just put one of those "conchos" used to decorate saddles, etc on their belt, like this one?

319YxZwIJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

;):);):)

Last edited:

Jayd1981

Welcome to OCDO. I've OC'ed all over the tri cities and the only person that was scared of my pistol was the West Richland Police Chief and he now knows that he cannot restrict OC.

cbpeck

I'm glad to hear that there's another OCer in the Tri-Cities. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to meet at some point.

If you'd like, feel free to follow the Tri-Cities sticky at the top of the WA section of this forum for local meet & greets.

sudden valley gunner

"I get that youre not a gun nut but a rights nut"

This was said to me at Starbucks and I thought the guy got me pegged....lol....so we are in the same boat welcome to the forum.

amzbrady

Welcome to the forum...

Like it was said, watch the Tri-Cities sticky. I will be at Owens the 17th with my family. I will post a time Thursday. I have just been waiting to see if anyone else will be coming to adjust the time accordingly. I'll have some of the "NEW" open carry pamphlets with me if anyone wants some.

Freedom First

Now to my story, I was on my way to Owens Rd to do some practicing when I stopped at the 27th and 395 Starbucks for a cup of joe. I had my H&K USP .40 compact in a holster on my hip. Two uniformed KPD officers where sitting drinking coffee when I entered, as I was putting some fru fru in my coffee one officer approached and asked what agency I was with? I guess my demeanor and dress hinted LEO, (at that time I was a Hanford Patrol Security Police Officer II, not typical Law Enforcement), I answered him. He smirked and suggested that next time I decide to open carry, I should display my shield also so that I didn't "scare the public." I didn't reply and he went about his business as did I. After reading some posts on this site, I now have some things I would have liked to say to him.

Welcome! How long have you been OCing in the Tri-Cities?

I guess they didn't get the message that their opinion doesn't count regarding OC... Did you get any of their info? Time and date? Can you PM me with any other details? I need to follow up with KPD on this as they clearly still need feedback in regards to OC. At least it was just contact, they didn't detain you so they must have heard some of the message.

Duec66

Freedom, I have not been OC'ing in the Tri purposely because I am still deciding my stance on personal OPSEC and the provocativeness of OCing. My encounter was only due to me forgetting my jacket in the truck, not an intentional OC. I also don't remember the name of the officer or the time and date, I didnote that information however, have since lost it. I do think that he was slightly informed about OCing because he took no other action, he just couldn't restrain from imparting his personal opionion.
I wish I could make it on Saturday to meet you guys but I'll be hanging drywall all day, maybe next time.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Hello, i've been lurking this site today and it has motivated me to OC more often. I am a 31 year old, USMC Veteran (0341) from West Richland, I am not a "gun nut" but I am confident in my ability to protect myself and others around me if threatened.

Welcome to OCDO!

Instead of things that you would of liked to say to him, I would think you would learn what not to say to him. Smile politely, be courteous, be professional but actively engage in your 4th and 5th amendment rights to not be detained, to not have to speak and to be minimally left alone by LE so you can go about your business.

(BTW, there are a few LEO and former LEO on this board that will and have advocated for OC and not having to show a 'badge' or retired credentials)

Freedom First

Freedom, I have not been OC'ing in the Tri purposely because I am still deciding my stance on personal OPSEC and the provocativeness of OCing. My encounter was only due to me forgetting my jacket in the truck, not an intentional OC. I also don't remember the name of the officer or the time and date, I didnote that information however, have since lost it. I do think that he was slightly informed about OCing because he took no other action, he just couldn't restrain from imparting his personal opionion.
I wish I could make it on Saturday to meet you guys but I'll be hanging drywall all day, maybe next time.

No worries and I understand your OPSEC concerns, especially in these days. It's too late for me though. :rolleyes:

The Chief and I had a nice discussion last year about OC and they put out a non-impressive bulletin. Part of our talk was that he would like to hear any concerns about KPD activities. That's why I was asking for more details. The issue in my mind is not that he approached you but it was that he felt the need to impart his opinion (against PD policy BTW). Unasked for and unwelcome. I don't personally mind a local peace officer chatting at me, but I really don't need to hear his opinion unless I ask him.

Re; drywall, if you try it hanging it with a framing nailgun it's kinda like a trip to the range. Though the results are not generally impressive...