• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Richmond Zoo City, County or Private?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I OC'ed there and no one said anything but that 44 blends well with my camera bag.:uhoh:

Kinda wished I'd brought something bigger.:eek:

[video=vimeo;38459017]http://vimeo.com/38459017[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If memory serves me correctly, it is a family run business.

Could not confirm on-line as their new web site is not complete.
http://www.metrorichmondzoo.com/

Have heard of others OCing there though.

Metro Richmond Zoo
8300 Beaver Bridge Rd
Moseley, Va 23120
(Chesterfield Co.)
(804) 739-5666

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks Guys!
There are no signs and as you've noticed...the web site sucks...Admission price is wrong too.

scouser

Apologies for taking this OT but, Don since you have just been there, what's the place like as a place to visit? Been thinking of taking Logan but heard conflicting reports on the quality of the place, some say its nice, some say the place smells like the animals aren't being well looked after.

One day I hope I'll get to take him to the zoo that's about 5 miles from my mother's house but the airlines are doing their best to make that prohibitively expensive.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Apologies for taking this OT but, Don since you have just been there, what's the place like as a place to visit? Been thinking of taking Logan but heard conflicting reports on the quality of the place, some say its nice, some say the place smells like the animals aren't being well looked after.

One day I hope I'll get to take him to the zoo that's about 5 miles from my mother's house but the airlines are doing their best to make that prohibitively expensive.

I'm not a Zoo expert, in fact I don't like zoos. I hate to see anything, especially something as regal as Lions, Leopards, Cheetahs, Etc...locked up. Just my feelings. I do know about farms though.

There are some places that smell like a barnyard. That doesn't mean the animals aren't being cared for, it just means there are large animals living there. My impression was that they were extremely well cared for.

There were a lot of animals and the observation decks are well designed.

The place is clean and well maintained. The employees were College Students I think..polite and intelligent.

There is a train and a chair lift. I took the chair lift twice. Once with Jane, then the second time hanging out of it for better shots (which no one said much about).

He can actually hand feed the Giraffes.

I think your son would have a ball.

[video=vimeo;38457139]http://vimeo.com/38457139[/video]

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
It's been years since I've talked to Jim, but I was friends with one of his daughter long ago. They had a pet chimp that ran around the house, and we used to climb around above the giraffes in the barn. Very nice people, and I doubt they would have any issue with you carrying..although back then it wasn't the first thing on my mind when visiting...

Peter Nap already covered the main points. Here are a few pics from one of our visits:
http://clickhappyphoto.smugmug.com/ClickHappy-Photo/Animals/17260071_Gs7Lfn#!i=1310407544&k=3m6dWKZ

scouser

I'm not a Zoo expert, in fact I don't like zoos. I hate to see anything, especially something as regal as Lions, Leopards, Cheetahs, Etc...locked up. Just my feelings. I do know about farms though.

There are some places that smell like a barnyard. That doesn't mean the animals aren't being cared for, it just means there are large animals living there. My impression was that they were extremely well cared for.

There were a lot of animals and the observation decks are well designed.

The place is clean and well maintained. The employees were College Students I think..polite and intelligent.

There is a train and a chair lift. I took the chair lift twice. Once with Jane, then the second time hanging out of it for better shots (which no one said much about).

He can actually hand feed the Giraffes.

I think your son would have a ball.

Thanks peter.. I understand your feelings about beautiful creatures such as those being locked up, however, realistically that's the only way I'll get Logan to be able to see them (an African safari is a little out of my price range for a family vacation). I really think he'd love the National Zoo, I've looked around it a few times when I was a motorcoach driver but I have no desire to deal with DC traffic in something as small as a car (and that's before we get into the problems with their laws), a 45' bus could win the game of 'chicken' when I needed to change lanes, in a car it's not so easy.

Last edited:

MamabearCali

It is a privately owned business. The people that own the place are really nice. My church borders the property (so if you wanted to you could find out what church I go to :lol:), and we have never had any problems whatsoever. I would imagine they would be ok with you carrying, I have never seen a sign there, so give it a try. As a side note they do put on a lovely Christmas show for free every year.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is a privately owned business. The people that own the place are really nice. My church borders the property (so if you wanted to you could find out what church I go to :lol:), and we have never had any problems whatsoever. I would imagine they would be ok with you carrying, I have never seen a sign there, so give it a try. As a side note they do put on a lovely Christmas show for free every year.

That alone shows that they are not municipally owned. :D