• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After The Shooting....By Tupreco....

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
http://survivalblog.com/2012/03/after-the-shooting-by-tupreco.html

Snip: "Your bedside clock says 3:40 a.m. You have just awakened to a sound like breaking glass. You pick up the phone to call 911 but the line is dead. It’s dark in the house and you ease out of bed to retrieve your handgun from the closet safe just as you have practiced dozens of times. You wait inside your bedroom door with your ear straining to hear. Someone is down the hall sliding something on the tile. At that instant, the 30-second delay on your security system expires and the alarm begins to peal. Another crash in the living room and you are now standing in the hall - gun drawn. A person you have never seen before senses your presence and turns toward you while reaching for his belt. He is close and coming toward you and has ignored your command to stop. You don’t specifically remember firing but he goes down after two hollow points catch him in the chest. The knife he was reaching for drops to the floor next to him as he falls. Time seems to stand still. Your cell phone rings and you jump – your security company is on the line about the alarm trip. You tell them to call the police. You hang up and call 911 and check his vitals – no pulse or breathing. Now what?"

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
http://survivalblog.com/2012/03/after-the-shooting-by-tupreco.html

Snip: "Your bedside clock says 3:40 a.m. You have just awakened to a sound like breaking glass. You pick up the phone to call 911 but the line is dead. It’s dark in the house and you ease out of bed to retrieve your handgun from the closet safe just as you have practiced dozens of times. You wait inside your bedroom door with your ear straining to hear. Someone is down the hall sliding something on the tile. At that instant, the 30-second delay on your security system expires and the alarm begins to peal. Another crash in the living room and you are now standing in the hall - gun drawn. A person you have never seen before senses your presence and turns toward you while reaching for his belt. He is close and coming toward you and has ignored your command to stop. You don’t specifically remember firing but he goes down after two hollow points catch him in the chest. The knife he was reaching for drops to the floor next to him as he falls. Time seems to stand still. Your cell phone rings and you jump – your security company is on the line about the alarm trip. You tell them to call the police. You hang up and call 911 and check his vitals – no pulse or breathing. Now what?"

You wait for the police to arrive and ask yourself the following questions:

1) How did the perp get that far in 30 seconds?
2) If I had my cellphone, why didn't I use it to call 911 when the land line was dead?
3) Was having my gun locked in a closet safe a good idea?
4) Why am I paying for a security company that calls me instead of the police when an intrusion alarm is activated?
5) Why did I foolishly leave the bedroom to go to the living room?
6) Why did I foolishly approach the suspect after he went down?
7) What's my lawyer's number?
8) Who's cleaning up this mess? (The one on the floor, and possibly the one in your pants.)

And before asking any of those questions.... ask yourself if there are other threats present.... never assume there was only one. (Stress-induced tunnel vision and auditory exclusion make it easy to fail to check for other threats, so train to break those common phenomena.)

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
You wait for the police to arrive and ask yourself the following questions:

1) How did the perp get that far in 30 seconds?
2) If I had my cellphone, why didn't I use it to call 911 when the land line was dead?
3) Was having my gun locked in a closet safe a good idea?
4) Why am I paying for a security company that calls me instead of the police when an intrusion alarm is activated?
5) Why did I foolishly leave the bedroom to go to the living room?
6) Why did I foolishly approach the suspect after he went down?
7) What's my lawyer's number?
8) Who's cleaning up this mess? (The one on the floor, and possibly the one in your pants.)

And before asking any of those questions.... ask yourself if there are other threats present.... never assume there was only one. (Stress-induced tunnel vision and auditory exclusion make it easy to fail to check for other threats, so train to break those common phenomena.)

+1.

I laughed at the start the coffee comment. Don't think you're going to be needing the caffeine boost, although you're probably in for a long night at this point.

One more thing I'd add to that list, is call your lawyer. It's cut and dried case of self defense, but I'd definitely do it anyways.