• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Ozark, MO?

mcqueen

I've been doing some research and found that oc seems to be pretty well accepted in Springfield but I can't find anything specifically for Ozark (where I'm from). I've been digging through the city codes (http://z2codes.sullivanpublications.com/sullivan/Z2Browser2.html?showset=ozarkset) but can't find anything specifically about open carrying. Plenty about cc, but not oc. Also, is a CCW required for open carry in Springfield and Ozark?

kcgunfan

I've been doing some research and found that oc seems to be pretty well accepted in Springfield but I can't find anything specifically for Ozark (where I'm from). I've been digging through the city codes (http://z2codes.sullivanpublications.com/sullivan/Z2Browser2.html?showset=ozarkset) but can't find anything specifically about open carrying. Plenty about cc, but not oc. Also, is a CCW required for open carry in Springfield and Ozark?

From what I remember, Springfield does not require a CCW, but Ozark does. Please take the my advice the same way you would any other stranger on the Internet.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Omg lmao

When I was a KID, there was a police chief in Ozark MO named "Buff Lamb" famous for his flashlight beat downs.

With my father being a Greene County Deputy at 6' 3" with a 52" chest aka serious bad assed MOFO, cruising the "square" was significantly different for me.

"Buff" was indeed famous, however, I was indeed more than a pain in his behind.. I had a 12.5 second drag truck by the time I was 16, and he hated my very being because of my father, he was simply in fear for his own life and left me alone.

Can not speak to Ozark today, but in the 80's, my punk self owned Christian county. My family owned a dairy farm on the border of Green/Christian for almost 100 years and while the rules apply, I waved at a variety of deputies from the time I was about 7 driving down the roads connecting Strafford to Ozark, I never got one dime of crap about Grandpa's 12 ga in the rear window, let alone not being "legal" whether in the chevy or on the international tractor!

While I may not advocate for it, I thank you for an interesting trip down memory lane.

In MO, if it is not listed as "illegal" behavior, it remains legal.

Redbaron007

IIRC, Nixa and Ozark are not OC friendly. I preface my comments with this info, because I couldn't locate the info either, quickly i utilized the opinion from a resident of Ozark who does OC/CCW but doesn't in Ozark. This was his story about 18 mos ago. YMMV IANAL

spgmarine

When I was a KID, there was a police chief in Ozark MO named "Buff Lamb" famous for his flashlight beat downs.

With my father being a Greene County Deputy at 6' 3" with a 52" chest aka serious bad assed MOFO, cruising the "square" was significantly different for me.

"Buff" was indeed famous, however, I was indeed more than a pain in his behind.. I had a 12.5 second drag truck by the time I was 16, and he hated my very being because of my father, he was simply in fear for his own life and left me alone.

Can not speak to Ozark today, but in the 80's, my punk self owned Christian county. My family owned a dairy farm on the border of Green/Christian for almost 100 years and while the rules apply, I waved at a variety of deputies from the time I was about 7 driving down the roads connecting Strafford to Ozark, I never got one dime of crap about Grandpa's 12 ga in the rear window, let alone not being "legal" whether in the chevy or on the international tractor!

While I may not advocate for it, I thank you for an interesting trip down memory lane.

In MO, if it is not listed as "illegal" behavior, it remains legal.

Buff was not the Ozark police chief he was the Christon County Sheriff. I went to vo-tech with some who went to Nixa and they would come in on Monday morning and cry about how Buff took there beer away from them...:cry::D
Here in Greene County we had Micky Owens (yes the baseball player ) he was about the same way too....

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Buff was not the Ozark police chief he was the Christon County Sheriff. I went to vo-tech with some who went to Nixa and they would come in on Monday morning and cry about how Buff took there beer away from them...:cry::D
Here in Greene County we had Micky Owens (yes the baseball player ) he was about the same way too....

Yes, he was the Sheriff of Christian, but he spent a lot of Friday and Saturday nights overseeing the activities on the square there in Ozark.

Micky was indeed a friend of the family, my father served under him as a Deputy for more than a few years in the 70's. Jim Pretty was another Deputy that visited the house often and then went to work for Springfield PD.

I lived literally a stones throw just east of the Medical center and that means we shared some stopping grounds. My grandparents dairy was straight out Sunshine to J highway and was bordered by the east bank of James River.

What year were you at Vo-Tech? I did two years there 82-84, HVAC and then did another bit in Welding in 85. Never know, we may know each other lol.

spgmarine

Yes, he was the Sheriff of Christian, but he spent a lot of Friday and Saturday nights overseeing the activities on the square there in Ozark.

Micky was indeed a friend of the family, my father served under him as a Deputy for more than a few years in the 70's. Jim Pretty was another Deputy that visited the house often and then went to work for Springfield PD.

I lived literally a stones throw just east of the Medical center and that means we shared some stopping grounds. My grandparents dairy was straight out Sunshine to J highway and was bordered by the east bank of James River.

What year were you at Vo-Tech? I did two years there 82-84, HVAC and then did another bit in Welding in 85. Never know, we may know each other lol.

I was gone by then grad 1981. Yes he over saw the square for he was the Sheriff for he could do what ever he wanted to in the whole county LOL

Fyermn

on April 22, 2012, My fraternity brother and I were on our way to the range in Busiek. We stopped off in Ozark for sodas and his nicotine. We were both open carrying and no one looked twice, except for the little kid infront of us in line. He turned around and asked if we were cops. I just replied "No, I am a firefighter. We are cooler than cops." His eyes got big and said he wanted to be a firefighter when he grows up.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

on April 22, 2012, My fraternity brother and I were on our way to the range in Busiek. We stopped off in Ozark for sodas and his nicotine. We were both open carrying and no one looked twice, except for the little kid infront of us in line. He turned around and asked if we were cops. I just replied "No, I am a firefighter. We are cooler than cops." His eyes got big and said he wanted to be a firefighter when he grows up.

Congrats!

I've re-read the Sullivan codes again and as the original OP stated, the codes really don't address OC. So at first blush, I'd say it is legal to OC. However, I would further check to see if there has been any updates to the codes. Sullivan shows last update was 1/17/2012.

Last edited:

Fyermn

Oh My Gosh! Now firefighters are carrying guns. What has this world came too?

Most fire marshals are firefighters and they carry guns. A lot of my STL fire brothers wear bulletproof vests now as well. One of my buddies call it the ultimate chick magnet: A big shinny diesel truck with flashing lights and siren, a dog, a badge, and a gun :lol: