• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philosophy of carrying a gun.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Since we have met, I feel a bit more free saying this, WTF, way way too long, will read it later.

Big Boy

Just a write up I did on another bored for newer carriers. Posted it here just for fun.

Beretta92FSLady

This one is a HUGE one! Newbies, get a good quality belt.

GET A GUN BELT
Yep. They can easily cost over $100. Suck it up and get one! This will change everything for you. No matter how you carry, the belt is incredibly important. It’s what supports the gun. Things like sagging, digging in, chaffing, all easily solved simply by getting a gun belt. I happen to use a crossbreed gun belt, mostly just because I ordered it with my very first holster I ordered from crossbreed, but also, because they have a lifetime warranty on their products. A gun belt will change everything when it comes to comfort and keeping the gun/holster put. A gun belt is much thicker than your standard belt, and while still keeping a normal appearance, greatly aid in the carry of a weapon.

Oramac

Just a write up I did on another bored for newer carriers. Posted it here just for fun.

Overall, great work!

That being said, I think it could use some improvement. Coming from my experience writing/reading guides for heavy theorycrafting in relation to online gaming, there are a few things that are extremely important, especially for newbies.

Terminology -- Simple list of terms, and what they mean. Example:
  • IWB: "Inside Waist Band. Commonly refers to holsters which hold the firearm inside your pants waistband, rather than outside."
  • OWB: "Outside Waist Band. Commonly refers to holsters which hold the firearm outside your pants waistband, similar to how police carry."
  • Index/Indexing: The act of placing ones trigger finger on the frame (not the trigger) of the firearm as it is drawn from the holster.
  • Draw: The act of removing one's firearm from its holster.
  • 1911: A common type of .45 caliber handgun. It's name derives from the year it was adopted for use in the military.

Grammar/Spelling
I know, we're not the grammar police, but people in general, and newbies in particular, will not take you as seriously without it. Example: You mention an "inside waste band holster". The proper term is "inside waist band". It seems like a small issue, but like I said, people won't take you as seriously if it's wrong.

Contents
Again, a seemingly small, trivial piece, but it helps the reader know what they're looking at before they start.

Personal Opinion/Stories
Some of this is normal, even necessary, but it should be kept to an absolute minimum. Reason being, your personal opinion is, as you say, not the same as mine, or the newbies. Stories are useful, in moderation. They should be very very short, and used to illustrate a specific point, rather than explain a whole topic.

Also, in your holster section, I would recommend talking about the type of holster rather than the make/model. For example, talk about the pros/cons of an IWB in general, but not about the Supertuck specifically.

Again, this is coming from my experience with internet based guides. You've done a great job so far, and have a solid starting point to build on.

EDIT: just for reference, I'll link one of the guides I'm basing my observations on. Keep in mind, this is one of many, but it's fairly representative of the principals I've mentioned. Also, this guide is related to gaming, so for those of you not interested in that sort of thing, let it slide. Guide here.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Looks pretty good.

If you want to PM me I'll give you my email address. I'd be happy to proofread/edit it for you if you'll send it to me in a Word document.

Superlite27

cool_story_bro.jpg

REALteach4u

This is the first time I've ever heard +P referred to as + Powder. To my understanding +P is simply added pressure that can be achieved in one of a few different manners. Here's the few I'm familiar with personally.

Thicker casing walls which reduce the combustion chamber size.
Deeper seating of the bullet.
Added powder with appropriate adjustments of airspace and bullet weight to achieve the desired velocity.
Casings that have been trimmed down, usually too far, reducing the combustion chamber size.

Displaying that particular Glock pistol picture simply isn't representative of the potential damage +P ammo can cause and it's tough to say that it's not the result of a LE departmental firearm negligence, reloaded ammo related, or truly related to +P. I don't have the website saved (and should have) but there is a website that has a wide arrangement of +P destruction pictures. Some of the revolver pictures are the most dramatic.

I can honestly say that with the 45ACP 230 grain standard loads and +P loads of the same grain I've fired through my Baby Eagle that I've yet to actually notice a difference in felt recoil. They certainly don't weigh the same on the scale. That said, I can tell a huge difference in recoil with a typical 115 WWB and 124 grain Remington 9mm vs. a 9mm NATO round that's not related to bullet weight.

Big Boy

I did just pull that image of the glock off the net, I fortunately have not had a gun blow on me, so I had no personal pics to post. And no the glock probably didn't blow from +P, they can handle it.

I was looking for a picture of a blown up sub compact, like tiny kel-tecs (not bashing I own one obviously) or Khars that aren't rated for +P but I couldn't find one. The point of the picture was more to show what can happen when catastrophe strikes.

Tony4310

That didn't at all take forever to read lol

I replace my belts every few months so I've never bought a firearm rated belt. Never seen the need, but that is me.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

DidntReadLOL.gif

Lol, jk. Read some of it. Good info. Someone should sticky it for any noobies looking for gear and advice.