Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Badges

  1. #1
    Regular Member J1MB0B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    211

    Badges

    A guy I work with applied for his concealed carry permit yesterday. He already has one of those badges that say "CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT". It is my opinion that wearing this badge may cause more harm than good if he has an encounter with an LEO. I might be wrong but can wearing this badge be construed as trying to impersonate a LEO? I was wondering if anyone knows of an RCW or a WAC that I could show him.
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 03-14-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: edited for spelling

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,621
    If he's going to wear one of those stupid things, he should at least get the wording right: Concealed Pistol License.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA, ,
    Posts
    8,363
    There was another thread about badges, but I forgot where it was.

    Instead of a badge, I offer you the CCW or ARMED sash. http://tacticaltupperware.com/?p=865

    Sure can't be acused of umpersonating a cop if you use one of them!

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,851
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  5. #5
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    How the hell does he justify a badge?

    No need. Retarded
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  6. #6
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,544
    Why carry a badge advertising you are concealed carry? This makes no sense. I bet some afix them to their wallet so they can do that neat wallet flippy badge flashy thing. Stupid is on the rise.
    Last edited by amzbrady; 03-14-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There was another thread about badges, but I forgot where it was.

    Instead of a badge, I offer you the CCW or ARMED sash. http://tacticaltupperware.com/?p=865

    Sure can't be acused of umpersonating a cop if you use one of them!

    stay safe.
    There was a recent incident related here where an OC'er was told by a Cop that he should wear his badge near his firearm so he didn't alarm others (especially the cop).

    I threw in the smart@ssed comment that maybe he should get one of those CCW badges as apparently it would impress the cop more than it does the rest of us
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    2,151
    They sell these badges at Walmart. They come with a little plastic gun and plastic holster. Ages 3 and up
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washi...66874943419858

    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  10. #10
    Regular Member mtlhdtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Wa
    Posts
    112
    Badges we don't ....


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Richland WA
    Posts
    3
    I see no logic to wearing the badge period. As far as impersonation, I guess it depends on his reason for wearing it. Is it metal and official looking or just a home made patch?

  12. #12
    Regular Member GreatWhiteLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMMBOB View Post
    A guy I work with applied for his concealed carry permit yesterday. He already has one of those badges that say "CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT". It is my opinion that wearing this badge may cause more harm than good if he has an encounter with an LEO. I might be wrong but can wearing this badge be construed as trying to impersonate a LEO? I was wondering if anyone knows of an RCW or a WAC that I could show him.
    Wait, you actually know someone that has one of those? And he's able to feed himself and find his way to work?

    Are you sure you're not making this up?
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

    "America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,698
    I'm THINKING of getting one of these badges, and here's why. In my state OC is currently illegal but there's a law working it's way through the legislature that will give us OC (has passed the House and is expected to both pass the Senate and be signed by the govenor). But the law specifically allows cops to stop an OCer and demand to see their CC permit (which when the law is passed will be changed from a CWL to a Hangun Weapons License or HWL) simply because they are OCing. So once the law passes should I find myself hassled by the cops on a somewhat regular basis simply for OCing then I'll be looking into getting one of the badges (after making sure it isn't illegal or classified as "impersonating an officer" of course).

    The point of the badge would be three-fold. The first would be it would give me an even easier spot to put my HWL for when I get asked for it. The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG call which leads to the cops unconstitutionally detaining me. And third I'm sure it will tweak the noses of some cops who are anti-rights. Yes I know it might not be the "smartest" thing to do and the whole "don't do the (non)crime if you can't do the time" stuff, but if the badge were to lead to increased incidents with cops then that would simply help me to build a case to get the law changed and it would help to show standing in the court system (more stops helps to show that it is an issue and not just a "possibility") as well as help increase the strength of the arguement for getting the law changed to not allow cops to stop people solely for OCing.


    Oh and before people make comments about how we should be fighting to get the bit about being able to stop an OCer and check their HWL removed right now, here's the thing. This has been brought up to those in our legislature who are pro-2A (multiple of them even believe that the 2A should be the only "permit" that we need) and the feedback that was given was that OC returning to OK is pretty contentious (previous bill was killed in the house and bill before that was vetoed by the last gov) and without the "stop and ID" bit then there would most likely be enough support to kill the bill (and from what I've heard the police have a decent amount of sway over plenty of legislators and it would be the police that would oppose the removing of this bit). So it is better to get this bill passed and get our foot in the door and proceed to fix it over time than to go for broke and risk the whole thing to going up in flames.

  14. #14
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I'm THINKING of getting one of these badges, and here's why. In my state OC is currently illegal but there's a law working it's way through the legislature that will give us OC (has passed the House and is expected to both pass the Senate and be signed by the govenor). But the law specifically allows cops to stop an OCer and demand to see their CC permit (which when the law is passed will be changed from a CWL to a Hangun Weapons License or HWL) simply because they are OCing. So once the law passes should I find myself hassled by the cops on a somewhat regular basis simply for OCing then I'll be looking into getting one of the badges (after making sure it isn't illegal or classified as "impersonating an officer" of course).



    The point of the badge would be three-fold. The first would be it would give me an even easier spot to put my HWL for when I get asked for it. The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG call which leads to the cops unconstitutionally detaining me. And third I'm sure it will tweak the noses of some cops who are anti-rights. Yes I know it might not be the "smartest" thing to do and the whole "don't do the (non)crime if you can't do the time" stuff, but if the badge were to lead to increased incidents with cops then that would simply help me to build a case to get the law changed and it would help to show standing in the court system (more stops helps to show that it is an issue and not just a "possibility") as well as help increase the strength of the arguement for getting the law changed to not allow cops to stop people solely for OCing.


    Oh and before people make comments about how we should be fighting to get the bit about being able to stop an OCer and check their HWL removed right now, here's the thing. This has been brought up to those in our legislature who are pro-2A (multiple of them even believe that the 2A should be the only "permit" that we need) and the feedback that was given was that OC returning to OK is pretty contentious (previous bill was killed in the house and bill before that was vetoed by the last gov) and without the "stop and ID" bit then there would most likely be enough support to kill the bill (and from what I've heard the police have a decent amount of sway over plenty of legislators and it would be the police that would oppose the removing of this bit). So it is better to get this bill passed and get our foot in the door and proceed to fix it over time than to go for broke and risk the whole thing to going up in flames.

    But you now give them reasonable suspicion to detain you for impersonating an officer...

    'I observed the suspect displaying what appeared to be a law enforcement badge, armed with a handgun. I contacted John Doe in a consensual encounter and asked if he was a peace officer. John Doe replied that he was not. I inquired as to the purpose of the badge, and the suspect was nervous, and refused to answer any questions. Believing that the suspect was attempting to impersonate an officer, I secured the suspects weapon, and asked for identification. Suspect refused to supply identification. Based on the presence of a firearm, and a law enforcement badge, I believe a reasonable person would think that suspect John Doe was trying to impersonate a police officer. The incident occurred at the intersection of walk and do not walk, in your city, your county, your state in the presence of Officer J. Friendly.'

    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    ...The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG call which leads to the cops unconstitutionally detaining me....
    Please do not advocate criminal activity here. This is a place to discuss LAWFUL activity.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I'm THINKING of getting one of these badges, and here's why. In my state OC is currently illegal but there's a law working it's way through the legislature that will give us OC (has passed the House and is expected to both pass the Senate and be signed by the govenor). But the law specifically allows cops to stop an OCer and demand to see their CC permit (which when the law is passed will be changed from a CWL to a Hangun Weapons License or HWL) simply because they are OCing. So once the law passes should I find myself hassled by the cops on a somewhat regular basis simply for OCing then I'll be looking into getting one of the badges (after making sure it isn't illegal or classified as "impersonating an officer" of course).

    The point of the badge would be three-fold. The first would be it would give me an even easier spot to put my HWL for when I get asked for it. The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG call which leads to the cops unconstitutionally detaining me. And third I'm sure it will tweak the noses of some cops who are anti-rights. Yes I know it might not be the "smartest" thing to do and the whole "don't do the (non)crime if you can't do the time" stuff, but if the badge were to lead to increased incidents with cops then that would simply help me to build a case to get the law changed and it would help to show standing in the court system (more stops helps to show that it is an issue and not just a "possibility") as well as help increase the strength of the arguement for getting the law changed to not allow cops to stop people solely for OCing.


    Oh and before people make comments about how we should be fighting to get the bit about being able to stop an OCer and check their HWL removed right now, here's the thing. This has been brought up to those in our legislature who are pro-2A (multiple of them even believe that the 2A should be the only "permit" that we need) and the feedback that was given was that OC returning to OK is pretty contentious (previous bill was killed in the house and bill before that was vetoed by the last gov) and without the "stop and ID" bit then there would most likely be enough support to kill the bill (and from what I've heard the police have a decent amount of sway over plenty of legislators and it would be the police that would oppose the removing of this bit). So it is better to get this bill passed and get our foot in the door and proceed to fix it over time than to go for broke and risk the whole thing to going up in flames.
    Does carrying with a badge promote Open Carry in the normal, daily fashion or does it draw special attention to open carry?

    There is no reason for you to purposefully mislead citizens that you may be law enforcement. I can assure you they will make that assumption without a badge.

    If the bill is passed in its current fashion, then you will just simply have to deal with the provision to show your permit. I suggest that you actively follow the law. Will they also need to see your DL/ID? If yes, then have both. If not, then leave your DL/ID in the car. Take some extra time to understand how the 4th amendment/5th amendment is followed in your state. Follow the law and do not give in to more demands be LEO. Be polite, be courteous, be professional but verbally resist where it is allowed.

    Then actively pursue removing the requirement, show states where it is not required and states where it is required.
    Live Free or Die!

  17. #17
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    But you now give them reasonable suspicion to detain you for impersonating an officer...

    'I observed the suspect displaying what appeared to be a law enforcement badge, armed with a handgun. I contacted John Doe in a consensual encounter and asked if he was a peace officer. John Doe replied that he was not. I inquired as to the purpose of the badge, and the suspect was nervous, and refused to answer any questions. Believing that the suspect was attempting to impersonate an officer, I secured the suspects weapon, and asked for identification. Suspect refused to supply identification. Based on the presence of a firearm, and a law enforcement badge, I believe a reasonable person would think that suspect John Doe was trying to impersonate a police officer. The incident occurred at the intersection of walk and do not walk, in your city, your county, your state in the presence of Officer J. Friendly.'

    And unfortunately, in places where OC is very uncommon, an officer could make that same argument even without a badge being involved.

  18. #18
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    And unfortunately, in places where OC is very uncommon, an officer could make that same argument even without a badge being involved.



    Or a white 4 door sedan with an antenna farm?




    RAS is a lower standard than PC, you need PC for an arrest, but just RAS for a detention.

    You can get RAS from just about anything, but PC is a different matter entirely.

    I don't see how you could develop RAS for an impersonating stop merely because of the presence of a firearm, same goes with the presence of antennae on a car.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Or a white 4 door sedan with an antenna farm?


    RAS is a lower standard than PC, you need PC for an arrest, but just RAS for a detention.

    You can get RAS from just about anything, but PC is a different matter entirely.

    I don't see how you could develop RAS for an impersonating stop merely because of the presence of a firearm, same goes with the presence of antennae on a car.
    Yeah, but a white Crown Vic/Grand Marq with an antenna farm.... if you had the A-pillar spotlight you'd be in the clink by now

    Surely you have noticed everyone suddenly slowing down when appear
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  20. #20
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Yeah, but a white Crown Vic/Grand Marq with an antenna farm.... if you had the A-pillar spotlight you'd be in the clink by now

    Surely you have noticed everyone suddenly slowing down when appear
    I spent 45 minutes on the side of the road a few weeks ago because a lakewood officer called in my car, pulled me over and then had to wait until WSP got there... They show up, realize nothing was wrong, and set me on my way...

    I have a special license plate, issued by DOL specifically to identify the vehicle. Hell, the list of people with those plates is even sent to the sheriffs office, WSP, War dept, etc but apparently that wasn't enough for them to understand the gear...... Apparently there was even MORE confusion because of my license plate, instead of clearing things up... I didn't wanna bring out my county ID because I figured that'd just confuse them more.......




    A nice 'round-robin' of

    'You can't have that license plate'
    It was issued to me
    'But you can't have it'
    DOL issues these plates SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of identification
    'It's a custom plate, you requested it'
    WSP is the one who TOLD me to get these plates so there would be no confusion
    'But you can't have that on your plates'
    The federal government assigned me that, which is why I have that plate
    'DOL shouldn't have issued those plates'
    WSP TOLD ME to get these plates BECAUSE it identifies me as NOT a police officer





    Because only people who 'know' , know what the license plate is....I have since added another 'identifier' to my vehicle, which ANY joe blow should get.....


    The chrome, the wheel covers, the fact that IT'S NOT EVEN A CROWN VIC, should give people some clues.......But people are stupid, and OMG IT'S GOT AN ANTENNA OMG 3 ANTENNAS WTFBBQOMG......

    The touch screen computer, radios, and cameras sure don't help though.......
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 03-14-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    I spent 45 minutes on the side of the road a few weeks ago because a lakewood officer called in my car, pulled me over and then had to wait until WSP got there... They show up, realize nothing was wrong, and set me on my way...

    I have a special license plate, issued by DOL specifically to identify the vehicle. Hell, the list of people with those plates is even sent to the sheriffs office, WSP, War dept, etc but apparently that wasn't enough for them to understand the gear...... Apparently there was even MORE confusion because of my license plate, instead of clearing things up... I didn't wanna bring out my county ID because I figured that'd just confuse them more.......




    A nice 'round-robin' of

    'You can't have that license plate'
    It was issued to me
    'But you can't have it'
    DOL issues these plates SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of identification
    'It's a custom plate, you requested it'
    WSP is the one who TOLD me to get these plates so there would be no confusion
    'But you can't have that on your plates'
    The federal government assigned me that, which is why I have that plate
    'DOL shouldn't have issued those plates'
    WSP TOLD ME to get these plates BECAUSE it identifies me as NOT a police officer





    Because only people who 'know' , know what the license plate is....I have since added another 'identifier' to my vehicle, which ANY joe blow should get.....


    The chrome, the wheel covers, the fact that IT'S NOT EVEN A CROWN VIC, should give people some clues.......But people are stupid, and OMG IT'S GOT AN ANTENNA OMG 3 ANTENNAS WTFBBQOMG......

    The touch screen computer, radios, and cameras sure don't help though.......
    Interesting. But I can see how the plate could be confusing since all the *other* unmarked wsp plates end in wsp.

    But c'mon, tell me with a straight face you've never followed someone around for a bit just to mess with them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    I spent 45 minutes on the side of the road a few weeks ago because a lakewood officer called in my car, pulled me over and then had to wait until WSP got there... They show up, realize nothing was wrong, and set me on my way...

    I have a special license plate, issued by DOL specifically to identify the vehicle. Hell, the list of people with those plates is even sent to the sheriffs office, WSP, War dept, etc but apparently that wasn't enough for them to understand the gear...... Apparently there was even MORE confusion because of my license plate, instead of clearing things up... I didn't wanna bring out my county ID because I figured that'd just confuse them more.......




    A nice 'round-robin' of

    'You can't have that license plate'
    It was issued to me
    'But you can't have it'
    DOL issues these plates SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of identification
    'It's a custom plate, you requested it'
    WSP is the one who TOLD me to get these plates so there would be no confusion
    'But you can't have that on your plates'
    The federal government assigned me that, which is why I have that plate
    'DOL shouldn't have issued those plates'
    WSP TOLD ME to get these plates BECAUSE it identifies me as NOT a police officer





    Because only people who 'know' , know what the license plate is....I have since added another 'identifier' to my vehicle, which ANY joe blow should get.....


    The chrome, the wheel covers, the fact that IT'S NOT EVEN A CROWN VIC, should give people some clues.......But people are stupid, and OMG IT'S GOT AN ANTENNA OMG 3 ANTENNAS WTFBBQOMG......

    The touch screen computer, radios, and cameras sure don't help though.......
    What's the "other identifier?"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  23. #23
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    What's the "other identifier?"Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A 'make your own' license plate frame from wallyworld......with a few words on it.....


    If someone STILL thinks it's a cop car, after what I wrote on there, they're retarded.

    heh....




    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  24. #24
    Regular Member J1MB0B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    211
    The guys at work pretty much have him convinced that wearing that thing would be a bad idea and I showed him OCDO. He swears up and down that he got it as a joke and never intended to wear it in public. If I can get at it, i'm going to paint it hot pink.

  25. #25
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post


    But c'mon, tell me with a straight face you've never followed someone around for a bit just to mess with them

    Never. Only time I ever follow someone is if they're CLEARLY intoxicated........and I have a camera recording everything.....
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •