Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Badges

Why A badge in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    "...The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG ..."

Is what I had said. I did not say that I would impersonate an officer. I have also clarified that by "mislead" I am simply taking advantage of other people's ignorance to avoid confrontation. I am NOT trying to act in any official manner. Since none of you were even willing to try and tell me what law simply having a badge in the hopes of being left alone would break I went and looked up both my state law and the laws of Washington (since this is the Washington section). For Washington I would be breaking no law as it requires ACTING in a manner. Per RCW 9A.60.040:

I won't bother posting OK code since it isn't applicable to this state, but it is similar. Now the use of a badge to carry one's permit is questionable, but is not illegal as it does not qualify as "impersonating an officer" because there is no actual act as required by law.
    Why have A badge in Oklahoma for open carry is not legal there and concealed carry isn't concealed if you notify people that you carry, That could be qualified as intimidation.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Aknazer....

Again, why not just go about your daily business as you do now, albeit with your jacket off? Make OC normal, dress as you currently do, but with the freedom of taking off an extra unneeded article of clothing. Be confident in your demeanor, be courteous, be polite, be professional. Smile at people as you pass by, hold the door open at the store.... surely a happy, polite, well dressed person will discourage a MWAG call far more than any inanimate object possibly could.

I know, because I practice exactly what I have written. 2 1/2 years and no MWAG calls for me.

And if you get a MWAG call, so what? Oblige by the law (silly OK OC law) and show your permit. Smile, be courteous to the officer, do not surrender any additional rights and help educate the officer and the department. Encourage the LEO to come here to OCDO and learn from states like WA and VA where the practice is more common and without great consternation on the half of law enforcement.

Embrace the change, be prepared for it and educate the public. And then work on the next phase of OC in OK, permit-less carry.
    +1
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    "...The second is that hopefully it will mislead some of the citizens who would otherwise place a MWAG ..."

Is what I had said. I did not say that I would impersonate an officer. I have also clarified that by "mislead" I am simply taking advantage of other people's ignorance to avoid confrontation. I am NOT trying to act in any official manner. Since none of you were even willing to try and tell me what law simply having a badge in the hopes of being left alone would break I went and looked up both my state law and the laws of Washington (since this is the Washington section). For Washington I would be breaking no law as it requires ACTING in a manner. Per RCW 9A.60.040:

I won't bother posting OK code since it isn't applicable to this state, but it is similar. Now the use of a badge to carry one's permit is questionable, but is not illegal as it does not qualify as "impersonating an officer" because there is no actual act as required by law.

You completely missed second degree...

RCW 9A.60.045
    Criminal impersonation in the second degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

(a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

(ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

(b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

(2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor
    You're intentionally carrying a badge to infer that you're carrying a firearm (an act) in an official capacity, which you're intentionally hoping the person would believe you're a law enforcement officer.....

So yes, it very well could apply.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    You completely missed second degree...

You're intentionally carrying a badge to infer that you're carrying a firearm (an act) in an official capacity, which you're intentionally hoping the person would believe you're a law enforcement officer.....

So yes, it very well could apply.
    With that interpretation then it would be illegal to wear anything like a Police Uniform as a Halloween Costume.

Let's not forget the "Birthday Strippers" that show up wearing a police uniform and threaten to arrest the "birthday boy or girl" for being bad and then proceed to be "very bad" themselves.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

[QUOTE--deleted content--[/QUOTE]

Well a few things come into play..

I'm exempt from a few portions of the law because of my license.......

I am NOT exempt from 'distracted driving'.......

You cannot have a TV display forward of the driver, but it does not receive television, so I'm good.....

RCW 46.61.667
    Using a wireless communications device while driving.

(1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person operating a moving motor vehicle while holding a wireless communications device to his or her ear is guilty of a traffic infraction.

(snip)

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not restrict the operation of an amateur radio station by a person who holds a valid amateur radio operator license issued by the federal communications commission.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    With that interpretation then it would be illegal to wear anything like a Police Uniform as a Halloween Costume.

Let's not forget the "Birthday Strippers" that show up wearing a police uniform and threaten to arrest the "birthday boy or girl" for being bad and then proceed to be "very bad" themselves.
    and you sir, are completely missing the second portion of the law...

A reasonable person is not going to believe that they're an officer, nor are they intending for their actions to be perceived as an officer.....

Just be lucky it's not VA, where you can be arrested for impersonation for stopping to help at an accident scene, or trying to direct traffic around your busted car...

Just be lucky it's not VA, where you can be arrested for impersonation for stopping to help at an accident scene, or trying to direct traffic around your busted car...

??? WTF?? cite?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    ??? WTF?? cite?
    And here I thought No. VA people were just rude ***es.

But really no one ever stops to help stranded motorist because it's illegal! Lolol
    Last edited by Stanley; 03-16-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." - George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

??? WTF?? cite?
    +1. I have helped stranded motorists a number of times, especially the ladies
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Why have A badge in Oklahoma for open carry is not legal there and concealed carry isn't concealed if you notify people that you carry, That could be qualified as intimidation.
    Start from the beginning of my posts, I already covered this back on page 1.

??? WTF?? cite?
    18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer, or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer, shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Only reason I know that, is there was a big deal when a guy got arrested for directing traffic around his broken down car.......

Only reason I know that, is there was a big deal when a guy got arrested for directing traffic around his broken down car.......
    Yeah but do you have a cite/link to the story about THAT?? Not that I doubt you I'd just like to read the details, and final outcome, for myself.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

If you are going to dress like a hooker, don't be surprised if someone calls you one! after all if you going to advertise it, why get upset.

Simply, if you are going to wear a badge, don't get upset if someone calls you a Mall Ninja! If you are going to make up your car to resemble a police car then do not get upset when it draws attention after all isn't that what you are after? Yup!
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Yeah but do you have a cite/link to the story about THAT?? Not that I doubt you I'd just like to read the details, and final outcome, for myself.
    Negative... It was probably 10 yrs ago....

I vaguely remember it basically being a ******* match, the guy was a Volunteer FF or something, I wanna say.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123