Thread: Concealed Carry Class Advice

Concealed Carry Class Advice

I'm about to spend the money to send my wife through the concealed carry class and she's a bit timid. I never had to go through the CC class to apply as Virginia recognizes my military small arms training as sufficiency to obtain my permit. I'm not so sure what they will go through, would love to give her a run through to ease her mind. Anyone out there know what she can expect? BTW i prefer to open carry, the CHP is for my BUG.
    It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

Great info Peter! I appreciate it. I wish they had some classes in the Hampton Roads area, there is a Bass Pro Shops over in Hampton but they didn't have any classes available on the online schedule. I intend to give them a call. I believe my wife is so timid because she had a negative experience when I took her to the range. She was holding the grip a bit high and some heavy-set gumbo eatin range master came out of left field and did her a favor by re-positioning her hand placement before the slide bit her. I should have caught it but to me any gun just seems to fall into place and I overlooked it. I tried to explain to her that he was only helping her and it's his job to ensure the safety of everyone-even if it involves invading your personal space. Ashland is quite a hike from VB. Any other recommendations for this area?
    It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Airframer View Post
    Great info Peter! I appreciate it. I wish they had some classes in the Hampton Roads area, there is a Bass Pro Shops over in Hampton but they didn't have any classes available on the online schedule. I intend to give them a call. I believe my wife is so timid because she had a negative experience when I took her to the range. She was holding the grip a bit high and some heavy-set gumbo eatin range master came out of left field and did her a favor by re-positioning her hand placement before the slide bit her. I should have caught it but to me any gun just seems to fall into place and I overlooked it. I tried to explain to her that he was only helping her and it's his job to ensure the safety of everyone-even if it involves invading your personal space. Ashland is quite a hike from VB. Any other recommendations for this area?
    Don't let your wife watch this

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Okay Peter.... I'm still laughing my butt off.

This is F-U-N-N-N-N-Y !!
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Ashland is quite a hike from VB. Any other recommendations for this area?
    Proshooter was offering classes there I thought but if not, some of our York and VB members can help. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Proshooter was offering classes there
    I just did a Utah permit class (good for Va also) there this past Sunday, 3/11. Had extra seats too. Class was even announced here on OCDO, as well as many other gun forums - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ass-Hampton-Va

Bass Pro Hampton has had numerous changes in staff as far as the folks who put stuff on their online calendar. I doubt you'll find much listed on their site. If you call the store, they'll refer you to us as we're the only ones with our brochures in the gun department, and we're the only ones authorized to teach there.

We do the Hampton location on a limited schedule, and we haven't set the next date. VB to Ashland is not too far in order to get good training. I had one woman drive from Whaleyville, Maryland (3+ hours) just to attend Sunday's Utah permit class.

For your wife, we have a ladies only NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course coming up on 3/31. A few spots are still available.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I have to recommend pro-shooter classes. I took my CC class from him and he was great. Taught me (a very novice shooter at the time) a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MamabearCali View Post
    I have to recommend pro-shooter classes. I took my CC class from him and he was great. Taught me (a very novice shooter at the time) a whole lot.
    Thank you, Mama!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

I'm about to spend the money to send my wife through the concealed carry class and she's a bit timid. I never had to go through the CC class to apply as Virginia recognizes my military small arms training as sufficiency to obtain my permit. I'm not so sure what they will go through, would love to give her a run through to ease her mind. Anyone out there know what she can expect? BTW i prefer to open carry, the CHP is for my BUG.
    If you can swing it, you should take the class with her. I'm sure that would make her more comfortable. I plan on doing this for my mom at some point this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
    If you can swing it, you should take the class with her. I'm sure that would make her more comfortable. I plan on doing this for my mom at some point this year.
    +1 good idea
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Oh man, some of those were pretty bad. I've never had that much trouble with a pistol-grip shotgun.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Oh man, some of those were pretty bad. I've never had that much trouble with a pistol-grip shotgun.
    Police recruits !

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

While I too enjoy proshooter's classes, please see the highlighted sentences. He's asking about VB classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    While I too enjoy proshooter's classes, please see the highlighted sentences. He's asking about VB classes.
    I understood that Tess, but Hampton is reasonably close and Proshooter is the only one in that vicinity I could recommend. There are other instructors out there but as far as the others I know about in his area, he'd be better off taking a Hunter Safety Class then watching a ******* video on You Tube.

Hanging out a shingle isn't a guarantee of anything other than the instructor has a stepladder.

She Can Shoot (www.shecanshoot.com) will be offering classes in the Hampton Roads area starting at the end of this month. I can tell you all about the classes if you'd like to hear more.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
    That's not a bad idea either. I see that a lot in our classes but I don't recommend it. In my experience, women who come with their husbands or BF or SO are more nervous than those that come alone. It is not the partner's fault usually. The women just don't want to disappoint their partner so they're overly nervous and tense. I would send her alone.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing