• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Class Advice

The Airframer

I'm about to spend the money to send my wife through the concealed carry class and she's a bit timid. I never had to go through the CC class to apply as Virginia recognizes my military small arms training as sufficiency to obtain my permit. I'm not so sure what they will go through, would love to give her a run through to ease her mind. Anyone out there know what she can expect? BTW i prefer to open carry, the CHP is for my BUG.

The Airframer

Great info Peter! I appreciate it. I wish they had some classes in the Hampton Roads area, there is a Bass Pro Shops over in Hampton but they didn't have any classes available on the online schedule. I intend to give them a call. I believe my wife is so timid because she had a negative experience when I took her to the range. She was holding the grip a bit high and some heavy-set gumbo eatin range master came out of left field and did her a favor by re-positioning her hand placement before the slide bit her. I should have caught it but to me any gun just seems to fall into place and I overlooked it. I tried to explain to her that he was only helping her and it's his job to ensure the safety of everyone-even if it involves invading your personal space. Ashland is quite a hike from VB. Any other recommendations for this area?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Great info Peter! I appreciate it. I wish they had some classes in the Hampton Roads area, there is a Bass Pro Shops over in Hampton but they didn't have any classes available on the online schedule. I intend to give them a call. I believe my wife is so timid because she had a negative experience when I took her to the range. She was holding the grip a bit high and some heavy-set gumbo eatin range master came out of left field and did her a favor by re-positioning her hand placement before the slide bit her. I should have caught it but to me any gun just seems to fall into place and I overlooked it. I tried to explain to her that he was only helping her and it's his job to ensure the safety of everyone-even if it involves invading your personal space. Ashland is quite a hike from VB. Any other recommendations for this area?

Don't let your wife watch this:lol:

[video=youtube;f9xJVbgpK68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xJVbgpK68[/video]

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Proshooter was offering classes there

I just did a Utah permit class (good for Va also) there this past Sunday, 3/11. Had extra seats too. Class was even announced here on OCDO, as well as many other gun forums - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...tah-Concealed-Firearm-Permit-class-Hampton-Va

Bass Pro Hampton has had numerous changes in staff as far as the folks who put stuff on their online calendar. I doubt you'll find much listed on their site. If you call the store, they'll refer you to us as we're the only ones with our brochures in the gun department, and we're the only ones authorized to teach there.

We do the Hampton location on a limited schedule, and we haven't set the next date. VB to Ashland is not too far in order to get good training. I had one woman drive from Whaleyville, Maryland (3+ hours) just to attend Sunday's Utah permit class.

For your wife, we have a ladies only NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course coming up on 3/31. A few spots are still available.

MamabearCali

I have to recommend pro-shooter classes. I took my CC class from him and he was great. Taught me (a very novice shooter at the time) a whole lot.

Kevin108

I'm about to spend the money to send my wife through the concealed carry class and she's a bit timid. I never had to go through the CC class to apply as Virginia recognizes my military small arms training as sufficiency to obtain my permit. I'm not so sure what they will go through, would love to give her a run through to ease her mind. Anyone out there know what she can expect? BTW i prefer to open carry, the CHP is for my BUG.

If you can swing it, you should take the class with her. I'm sure that would make her more comfortable. I plan on doing this for my mom at some point this year.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

While I too enjoy proshooter's classes, please see the highlighted sentences. He's asking about VB classes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I too enjoy proshooter's classes, please see the highlighted sentences. He's asking about VB classes.

I understood that Tess, but Hampton is reasonably close and Proshooter is the only one in that vicinity I could recommend. There are other instructors out there but as far as the others I know about in his area, he'd be better off taking a Hunter Safety Class then watching a Jackass video on You Tube.

Hanging out a shingle isn't a guarantee of anything other than the instructor has a stepladder.

Steeler-gal

She Can Shoot (www.shecanshoot.com) will be offering classes in the Hampton Roads area starting at the end of this month. I can tell you all about the classes if you'd like to hear more.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Steeler-gal

If you can swing it, you should take the class with her. I'm sure that would make her more comfortable. I plan on doing this for my mom at some point this year.

That's not a bad idea either. I see that a lot in our classes but I don't recommend it. In my experience, women who come with their husbands or BF or SO are more nervous than those that come alone. It is not the partner's fault usually. The women just don't want to disappoint their partner so they're overly nervous and tense. I would send her alone.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/