Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Cee Lo of the Voice wears Military award and skill badge

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    Cee Lo of the Voice wears Military award and skill badge

    My wife watches this so I see parts of it while I am reading. The other night I see the fat black guy wearing a US Army Good Conduct medal. A full size bleeding medal. He was also wearing a Naval Aviators wings. I tried to find out if he had ANY military service, and it just was not there.

    I have sent questions to the local media (TV, newspaper) and the are not addressing it. My question to you is........ Does this wrankle you as much as it does me?? Clowns like this that participate in Stolen Valor (it's an award/skill badge, not jewelry) just pi$$ me off.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Officers do not receive Good Conduct Medals. Naval Aviator wings are only worn by officers. Fill in the blank.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Okay, my first thought is that the US Army is so bad that you can get a medal for good conduct?

    My second thought is absolutely yes. It should be just as against the law to misrepresent military medals as it is to wear a policeman's badge.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    I agree it's in poor taste. I am also in favor of penalizing people who claim false military honors, especially when they do it for a profit.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Probably went to one of thousands of surplus stores, or places like knob creek, and bought the medals and pins.

    Should have thrown in Dog tags, those are kewl.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Probably went to one of thousands of surplus stores, or places like knob creek, and bought the medals and pins.
    I agree. He may not have any idea if they're even real. How can you tell if they're real vs a knock-off or replica?


    ==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    ... How can you tell if they're real vs a knock-off or replica?...
    Like a cop's badge?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member Stanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    375
    Generally I've never been really bothered by it and I'm a vet.

    But I do have an exception. Any medals for gallantry, heroism, etc, should be off limits. And it should be a felony to wear them. Heck, I won't even touch my father's Silver Star.

    Medals like the MOH, the Stars, a few of the Crosses. I'm sure I forgot some.

    If someone wants to wear the marksman badge, aviator's wings or the GDM who cares? It's whatever...
    Last edited by Stanley; 03-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." - George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

  9. #9
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    It should be just as against the law to misrepresent military medals as it is to wear a policeman's badge.
    Why? How about we make EVERYTHING illegal. What is it hurting except your feelings? Should it be illegal for me to wear a crucifix because I am not a christian? That may hurt someone's feelings. I probably shouldn't be able to wear "military" camo out in public either, less someone naively assumes I am or have been part of the armed forces.

    Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Stanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Why? How about we make EVERYTHING illegal. What is it hurting except your feelings? Should it be illegal for me to wear a crucifix because I am not a christian? That may hurt someone's feelings. I probably shouldn't be able to wear "military" camo out in public either, less someone naively assumes I am or have been part of the armed forces.

    Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer.

    If god****ed civilians won't have any respect on their own then by god we'll make them! <- Just joking.

    It already is illegal to wear the medals.

    Stolen Valor Act...

    Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade, or manufacture “any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces.”

    I think or thought it was gonna be reviewed by SCOTUS though as a federal judge ruled it unconstitutional in Denver and then a District judge overturned that ruling... So as of now it is illegal but maybe not because it may be unconstitutional???
    /head spinning
    Last edited by Stanley; 03-14-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." - George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    To me the issue here is that by wearing these various things (regardless of it's military medals, an actual cop badge, something else like a "toy" gun that looks real, etc) is that it is implied impersonation. Sure they aren't SAYING that they are a cop or that they earned those medals or that it's a real gun, but by wearing the items (as opposed to something that simply looks like the medal or like a cop badge) you are implying that you are a cop or that you earned those medals/awards through military service.

    As for what people are saying about this guy's medals, while it is highly unlikely that he earned them, it is possible. If he had been Army enlisted he could have gotten the Good Conduct medal. Then at some point he could have become a Naval officer and earned his wings. I've met a few people who have changed from other services into the AF and they were authorized to wear the medals/awards that they had earned in the pervious service. Not that I think that is the case here, but it is a possibility.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I am appalled that some cops wear guns, openly, implying that all cops who wear guns openly know how to safely and properly use them. Isn't impersonating a competent firearms carrier against the law some place?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Okay, my first thought is that the US Army is so bad that you can get a medal for good conduct?
    The badge has purpose and meaning. If a soldier has been especially professional for a duration of time, then a NCO can know this simply by looking at his awards.

    It is hard to express to a civilian, but not every soldier is known by every element of every command everywhere, and should the need arise to assess a soldier on the spot, awards and decorations make this possible.

    It sounds like superficial nonsense, but as the Army "usually" goes, everything is there for a purpose.

    It is a point of personal pride and achievement to earn awards in the military, and the GCM is no exception.



    To Stanley,

    The Stolen Valor Act has essentially been made null and void by a recent court ruling that states that faking military service and effectively lying about awards and decorations is "protected free speech".

    The "Stolen Valor Act", to my chagrin, is now meaningless codified but unenforced law.

    Edit: Apparently, the case is still ongoing and is now at the Supreme Court level.
    Last edited by slowfiveoh; 03-14-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Why? How about we make EVERYTHING illegal. What is it hurting except your feelings? Should it be illegal for me to wear a crucifix because I am not a christian? That may hurt someone's feelings. I probably shouldn't be able to wear "military" camo out in public either, less someone naively assumes I am or have been part of the armed forces.

    Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer
    You overgeneralize, missing the point completely.

    Your religious symbols were not issued by the US Government as to an individual that earned them under their employ. Military medals are.

    If you attach rank insignia and other military patches to your camo, you may indeed be breaking the law, and rightly so.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    The badge has purpose and meaning. If a soldier has been especially professional for a duration of time, then a NCO can know this simply by looking at his awards.

    It is hard to express to a civilian, but not every soldier is known by every element of every command everywhere, and should the need arise to assess a soldier on the spot, awards and decorations make this possible.

    It sounds like superficial nonsense, but as the Army "usually" goes, everything is there for a purpose.

    It is a point of personal pride and achievement to earn awards in the military, and the GCM is no exception...
    I can agree with the purpose. I found it humorous, and hope no one took offense. I served in a different branch of the military.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You overgeneralize, missing the point completely.

    Your religious symbols were not issued by the US Government as to an individual that earned them under their employ. Military medals are.

    If you attach rank insignia and other military patches to your camo, you may indeed be breaking the law, and rightly so.

    So, what you're saying is that those things issued by the U.S. government are deserving of greater legal protection than those things issued by God? Oh, wow...

    Some people need to get over their butthurtedness and realize that until and unless the behavior of another infringes on your rights to life, liberty, or property, that behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post

    To Stanley,

    The Stolen Valor Act has essentially been made null and void by a recent court ruling that states that faking military service and effectively lying about awards and decorations is "protected free speech".

    The "Stolen Valor Act", to my chagrin, is now meaningless codified but unenforced law.

    Edit: Apparently, the case is still ongoing and is now at the Supreme Court level.
    It kills me that lies are considered free speech. Those of us that earned wings and medals are offended by the pretenders. I offered my life and a life time of service to my country. I gave blood, sweat, and tears. For somebody to tarnish it like that is a shame.

    I guess wearing ribbons medals or wings, in honor of somebody, and not claiming the status for yourself would be different. I believe the Stolen Valor Act was created because some people were getting crazy with claiming war veteran status, Navy Seals, you name it, and making money from it.

    I'd like to hear it from Cee Lo. He may have lost someone, very close to him, that wore those awards.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 03-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Your religious symbols were not issued by the US Government as to an individual that earned them under their employ. Military medals are.

    If you attach rank insignia and other military patches to your camo, you may indeed be breaking the law, and rightly so.
    You do realize that not everyone who was awarded a medal earned it don't you?

    Rightly so? So if you ASSUMED wrong then I should be a fault? Unless I try to convince you that I am something I am not then I don't see how I am at fault. You are walking on a slippery slope. Most of us carry a gun. You know who else carries a gun? Law Enforcement. So should I be guilty of impersonating a LEO just because somebody flipping burgers thought I was and gave me a discount normally reserved for officers. How about a widowed woman who wears her deceased husbands metals to formal occasions to honor his memory? Throw her in jail too? She didn't earn those medals.

    I understand the point that is being made. I just don't believe in it. I don't hurt anyone if I wear a cop uniform, or military medals. Without a victim, I don't think a crime has been committed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Some people need to get over their butthurtedness and realize that until and unless the behavior of another infringes on your rights to life, liberty, or property, that behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
    That is what I am saying too.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    It kills me that lies are considered free speech. Those of us that earned wings and medals are offended by the pretenders. I offered my life and a life time of service to my country. I gave blood, sweat, and tears. For somebody to tarnish it like that is a shame.
    Guess what? The fact that you are offended does not equate to a crime.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Without a victim, I don't think a crime has been committed.
    This.

    "Were you injured? Was your property damaged? Were your liberties infringed in some way? No? Then call a talk show to b*tch, not the cops."
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Those who do not know what the bling means will not be impressed except that it is shiney.

    Those that know what it is will know that the person is claiming something they are not entitled to, as well as being a tool/fool.

    As a vet with fruit salad I agree with the court ruling that the Stolen Valor Act is unconsitutional. Besides, there are other laws that can deal with the fraud(s) some of these individuals commit when they claim those honors. Jusat as there is no need to make other acts even more criminal than they already are (except to make some legislator look good for "doing something" about something).

    Seriously, there ought to be a law against passing laws that deal with stuff the laws already deal with quite adequately.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    So, what you're saying is that those things issued by the U.S. government are deserving of greater legal protection than those things issued by God? Oh, wow...

    Some people need to get over their butthurtedness and realize that until and unless the behavior of another infringes on your rights to life, liberty, or property, that behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
    Dammit. I couldn't remember why I had you on ignore, so I hit the "view post" button. Now I remember.

    What I believe, and what the law says or should say are two different things. I am able to separate those things in a rational discussion. Please don't tell me what I am saying when you are wrong about what I am saying.

    You will find no greater defender of personal liberty than myself. But lying and misrepresentation are not really about personal liberty, are they?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You will find no greater defender of personal liberty than myself. But lying and misrepresentation are not really about personal liberty, are they?
    You're completely right. Your desire to criminalize lying and misrepresentation that results in no injury to persons or property has nothing to do with personal liberty. It has to do with your personal feeling that you are somehow entitled to not be offended.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 03-14-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    You do realize that not everyone who was awarded a medal earned it don't you?

    Rightly so? So if you ASSUMED wrong then I should be a fault? Unless I try to convince you that I am something I am not then I don't see how I am at fault. You are walking on a slippery slope. Most of us carry a gun. You know who else carries a gun? Law Enforcement. So should I be guilty of impersonating a LEO just because somebody flipping burgers thought I was and gave me a discount normally reserved for officers. How about a widowed woman who wears her deceased husbands metals to formal occasions to honor his memory? Throw her in jail too? She didn't earn those medals.

    I understand the point that is being made. I just don't believe in it. I don't hurt anyone if I wear a cop uniform, or military medals. Without a victim, I don't think a crime has been committed.

    ...
    Wearing a gun and wearing a recognizable uniform are two very different things. I'd take the free discount from an idiot, too. After all, it's often illegal for an officer to solicit a discount, therefore the discount is subjective, and not criminal.

    I honestly don't know what to think about wearing someone else's medals out of memory. I'm inclined to be against it, but not criminally. You wouldn't argue that they could wear the other person's entire uniform, would you?

    Where would we draw the line? Should we at all? It's a fair question. One of my personal heroes was a man I had the privilege of meeting with twice before he died, Rear Admiral Eugene Fluckey, USN. He earned a CMH and four Navy Crosses. If I could count him as a best friend, I couldn't see wearing them in his honor; so there has to be a line somewhere, right? This is my opinion, if you are of the opinion that it would be okay, then you are entitled to that, too. I consider them part of an official uniform of identification issued by a government.

    It's a touchy subject to be sure, and I appreciate the debate from the reasonable individuals, regardless their viewpoint.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I consider them part of an official uniform of identification issued by a government.
    Why does the fact that it was issued by a government make the costume jewelry so sacred to you? Why is it more sacred, and apparently more deserving against unauthorized wear, than religious paraphernalia, Boy Scout insignia, Masonic gear, etc.?
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 03-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •