• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cee Lo of the Voice wears Military award and skill badge

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My wife watches this so I see parts of it while I am reading. The other night I see the fat black guy wearing a US Army Good Conduct medal. A full size bleeding medal. He was also wearing a Naval Aviators wings. I tried to find out if he had ANY military service, and it just was not there.

I have sent questions to the local media (TV, newspaper) and the are not addressing it. My question to you is........ Does this wrankle you as much as it does me?? Clowns like this that participate in Stolen Valor (it's an award/skill badge, not jewelry) just pi$$ me off.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Okay, my first thought is that the US Army is so bad that you can get a medal for good conduct?

My second thought is absolutely yes. It should be just as against the law to misrepresent military medals as it is to wear a policeman's badge.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I agree it's in poor taste. I am also in favor of penalizing people who claim false military honors, especially when they do it for a profit.

DrakeZ07

Probably went to one of thousands of surplus stores, or places like knob creek, and bought the medals and pins.

Should have thrown in Dog tags, those are kewl.

Steeler-gal

Probably went to one of thousands of surplus stores, or places like knob creek, and bought the medals and pins.

I agree. He may not have any idea if they're even real. How can you tell if they're real vs a knock-off or replica?

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Stanley

Generally I've never been really bothered by it and I'm a vet.

But I do have an exception. Any medals for gallantry, heroism, etc, should be off limits. And it should be a felony to wear them. Heck, I won't even touch my father's Silver Star.

Medals like the MOH, the Stars, a few of the Crosses. I'm sure I forgot some.

If someone wants to wear the marksman badge, aviator's wings or the GDM who cares? It's whatever...

Last edited:

09jisaac

It should be just as against the law to misrepresent military medals as it is to wear a policeman's badge.

Why? How about we make EVERYTHING illegal. What is it hurting except your feelings? Should it be illegal for me to wear a crucifix because I am not a christian? That may hurt someone's feelings. I probably shouldn't be able to wear "military" camo out in public either, less someone naively assumes I am or have been part of the armed forces.

Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer.

Stanley

Why? How about we make EVERYTHING illegal. What is it hurting except your feelings? Should it be illegal for me to wear a crucifix because I am not a christian? That may hurt someone's feelings. I probably shouldn't be able to wear "military" camo out in public either, less someone naively assumes I am or have been part of the armed forces.

Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer.

If god****ed civilians won't have any respect on their own then by god we'll make them! <- Just joking.

It already is illegal to wear the medals.

Stolen Valor Act...

Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade, or manufacture “any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces.”

I think or thought it was gonna be reviewed by SCOTUS though as a federal judge ruled it unconstitutional in Denver and then a District judge overturned that ruling... So as of now it is illegal but maybe not because it may be unconstitutional???
/head spinning

Last edited:

Aknazer

To me the issue here is that by wearing these various things (regardless of it's military medals, an actual cop badge, something else like a "toy" gun that looks real, etc) is that it is implied impersonation. Sure they aren't SAYING that they are a cop or that they earned those medals or that it's a real gun, but by wearing the items (as opposed to something that simply looks like the medal or like a cop badge) you are implying that you are a cop or that you earned those medals/awards through military service.

As for what people are saying about this guy's medals, while it is highly unlikely that he earned them, it is possible. If he had been Army enlisted he could have gotten the Good Conduct medal. Then at some point he could have become a Naval officer and earned his wings. I've met a few people who have changed from other services into the AF and they were authorized to wear the medals/awards that they had earned in the pervious service. Not that I think that is the case here, but it is a possibility.

OC for ME

I am appalled that some cops wear guns, openly, implying that all cops who wear guns openly know how to safely and properly use them. Isn't impersonating a competent firearms carrier against the law some place?

slowfiveoh

Okay, my first thought is that the US Army is so bad that you can get a medal for good conduct?

The badge has purpose and meaning. If a soldier has been especially professional for a duration of time, then a NCO can know this simply by looking at his awards.

It is hard to express to a civilian, but not every soldier is known by every element of every command everywhere, and should the need arise to assess a soldier on the spot, awards and decorations make this possible.

It sounds like superficial nonsense, but as the Army "usually" goes, everything is there for a purpose.

It is a point of personal pride and achievement to earn awards in the military, and the GCM is no exception.

To Stanley,

The Stolen Valor Act has essentially been made null and void by a recent court ruling that states that faking military service and effectively lying about awards and decorations is "protected free speech".

The "Stolen Valor Act", to my chagrin, is now meaningless codified but unenforced law.

Edit: Apparently, the case is still ongoing and is now at the Supreme Court level.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Also, in the great state of Kentucky it isn't illegal to wear a policeman's badge. Just to impersonate a peace officer

You overgeneralize, missing the point completely.

Your religious symbols were not issued by the US Government as to an individual that earned them under their employ. Military medals are.

If you attach rank insignia and other military patches to your camo, you may indeed be breaking the law, and rightly so.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The badge has purpose and meaning. If a soldier has been especially professional for a duration of time, then a NCO can know this simply by looking at his awards.

It is hard to express to a civilian, but not every soldier is known by every element of every command everywhere, and should the need arise to assess a soldier on the spot, awards and decorations make this possible.

It sounds like superficial nonsense, but as the Army "usually" goes, everything is there for a purpose.

It is a point of personal pride and achievement to earn awards in the military, and the GCM is no exception...

I can agree with the purpose. I found it humorous, and hope no one took offense. I served in a different branch of the military.

ManInBlack

You overgeneralize, missing the point completely.

Your religious symbols were not issued by the US Government as to an individual that earned them under their employ. Military medals are.

If you attach rank insignia and other military patches to your camo, you may indeed be breaking the law, and rightly so.

So, what you're saying is that those things issued by the U.S. government are deserving of greater legal protection than those things issued by God? Oh, wow...

Some people need to get over their butthurtedness and realize that until and unless the behavior of another infringes on your rights to life, liberty, or property, that behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

FallonJeeper

To Stanley,

The Stolen Valor Act has essentially been made null and void by a recent court ruling that states that faking military service and effectively lying about awards and decorations is "protected free speech".

The "Stolen Valor Act", to my chagrin, is now meaningless codified but unenforced law.

Edit: Apparently, the case is still ongoing and is now at the Supreme Court level.

It kills me that lies are considered free speech. Those of us that earned wings and medals are offended by the pretenders. I offered my life and a life time of service to my country. I gave blood, sweat, and tears. For somebody to tarnish it like that is a shame.

I guess wearing ribbons medals or wings, in honor of somebody, and not claiming the status for yourself would be different. I believe the Stolen Valor Act was created because some people were getting crazy with claiming war veteran status, Navy Seals, you name it, and making money from it.

I'd like to hear it from Cee Lo. He may have lost someone, very close to him, that wore those awards.

Last edited:

09jisaac

You do realize that not everyone who was awarded a medal earned it don't you?

Rightly so? So if you ASSUMED wrong then I should be a fault? Unless I try to convince you that I am something I am not then I don't see how I am at fault. You are walking on a slippery slope. Most of us carry a gun. You know who else carries a gun? Law Enforcement. So should I be guilty of impersonating a LEO just because somebody flipping burgers thought I was and gave me a discount normally reserved for officers. How about a widowed woman who wears her deceased husbands metals to formal occasions to honor his memory? Throw her in jail too? She didn't earn those medals.

I understand the point that is being made. I just don't believe in it. I don't hurt anyone if I wear a cop uniform, or military medals. Without a victim, I don't think a crime has been committed.

Some people need to get over their butthurtedness and realize that until and unless the behavior of another infringes on your rights to life, liberty, or property, that behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

That is what I am saying too.

ManInBlack

It kills me that lies are considered free speech. Those of us that earned wings and medals are offended by the pretenders. I offered my life and a life time of service to my country. I gave blood, sweat, and tears. For somebody to tarnish it like that is a shame.

Guess what? The fact that you are offended does not equate to a crime.