• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANOTHER another kid shot in WA.

Contrarian

http://www.king5.com/news/local/3-year-old-boy-killed-in-accidental-shooting-case-142598826.html

"A couple - a boyfriend and girlfriend - and the woman's two young children were traveling and had stopped at a Tacoma gas station off Interstate 5 at about 12:30 a.m. The man put his pistol under the seat and got out to pump gas while the boy's mother went inside the convenience store, [Tacoma police Officer ] Benjamin said."

Did we all just take a massive dumb pill or something?
Another dead child because someone stopped thinking.
Not OC, but definitely important to gun owners.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The circumstances that caused the person to disarm while pumping gas are the root cause. Otherwise it will be more faux-stimulus by mandating gun safes in vehicles. Like any other prophylactic - put it on and leave it there until it is no longer needed. Darwin is effective.

hermannr

I think this illustrates the need to change the law to read:

Legally owned firearms cannot be barred in any place open to the general public.

The ADA (which so support, and some do not) has a definition of "public accomidation" as concerns disabled people. Private property owners give up their private property rights to the general public when they open their doors to the general public.

It is much simpler to just extend carry to all places of "public accomodation", then we wouldn't have people disarming unnecessarily, and this accident would not have been able to happen.

Metalhead47

Like there's any law that could POSSIBLY make this unfortunate fellow feel any worse than he already does. I would image that 10-20 getting boned nightly by a large inmate still pales in comparison to knowing one's child is dead due to one's own stupidity. Why the hell did he take the gun off/leave the gun there in the first place?? ESPECIALLY at a gas station in Tacoma at friggin midnight!

It's funny how when a child maims or kills its self because it got a hold of daddy's power saw or carving knife you never hear about it on the news, let alone calls for saw locks & knife safes. OK, no it's not funny. :banghead:

Metalhead47

I think this illustrates the need to change the law to read:

Legally owned firearms cannot be barred in any place open to the general public.

The ADA (which so support, and some do not) has a definition of "public accomidation" as concerns disabled people. Private property owners give up their private property rights to the general public when they open their doors to the general public.

It is much simpler to just extend carry to all places of "public accomodation", then we wouldn't have people disarming unnecessarily, and this accident would not have been able to happen.

Uh oh better get the popcorn popping! ;)
asset.php

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
What I do not understand is why the gun is not kept/left on your person 100% of the time. This individual is a CPL holder, he is taking responsibility for his family in TACOMA after MIDNIGHT and that is a good thing. As the story goes, the CPL holder removed it from his person....in TACOMA....after MIDNIGHT and left it out of his direct control in his vehicle where other persons had access to the firearm. This makes absolutely no sense! The gun is to protect the individual and his family and the only way to do that is to have it in his holster(pocket) and available to only him at a fraction of a seconds notice.

If you carry a gun, have it on your person 100% of the time or accessible to no one else but you. (i.e. in a locked container) Removing it from your immediate access puts your person and your families at risk.

tombrewster421

WTF!

Not much more to say. I wish it were possible to fix stupid. All these kids dying is really starting to piss me off.

badger54

This is getting bad. I want to know why he took the gun off in the first place. I have a friend that is new to carrying and leaves his gun in the car when he goes in the bank. He also doesn't carry a round chambered I'm working to get him comfortable with both. I'm wondering if this guy is new to carrying a gun causing him to leave it in the car before going into the gas station. If that was the case I bet this guy wishes he spent the $40 on a car safe.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Contrarian

This is getting bad. I want to know why he took the gun off in the first place. I have a friend that is new to carrying and leaves his gun in the car when he goes in the bank. He also doesn't carry a round chambered .
--snip--

I can live with the idea of none in the pipe as training/practice can get you into firing condition by draw/rack methods...the Israelis do such.
And no one carries in those banks as they are ''federal'' ya know...

My weapon is always safer when I retain it.

A sad situation all round.

Schlepnier

This is getting bad. I want to know why he took the gun off in the first place. I have a friend that is new to carrying and leaves his gun in the car when he goes in the bank. He also doesn't carry a round chambered .
--snip--

I can live with the idea of none in the pipe as training/practice can get you into firing condition by draw/rack methods...the Israelis do such.
And no one carries in those banks as they are ''federal'' ya know...

My weapon is always safer when I retain it.

A sad situation all round.

Slight corrections. banks are private property of private companies and they can make any rules they want, what you are mistaking is the fact that the federal government through the FDIC insurance program insures bank accounts up to a set amount. the insurance policy does not in any way make a bank a federal building or federal property.

P.S. i see our great state rep Kline is already chomping at the bit to introduce more gun regulation because of these incidents.....he fails to understand you cannot regulate away stupid.

Last edited: