• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012” introduced in U.S. Senate

Bill Starks

State Researcher
March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.” The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822,which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.
S. 2188, like H.R. 822, would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state’s laws governing where concealed handguns may be carried would apply within its borders.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...city-act-of-2012-introduced-in-us-senate.aspx

Dave_pro2a

It's a state's Rights issue. The Feds will just screw it up.

If it passes, then eventually we all get CA style Federal 'reasonable restrictions.' Not today or tomorrow, but eventually.

Dave_pro2a

Someone get Eeyore here some Prozac. :rolleyes:

Sorry, is this better: "D.C. style 'reasonable restrictions.'

or maybe "NY style 'reasonable restrictions."

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, but fear I won't be. The states handle this issue far too differently for this to work well, and the states with power/influence and the biggest population centers are all very liberal.

Metalhead47

Sorry, is this better: "D.C. style 'reasonable restrictions.'

or maybe "NY style 'reasonable restrictions."

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong, but fear I won't be. The states handle this issue far too differently for this to work well, and the states with power/influence and the biggest population centers are all very liberal.

uh huh. And all the states except Vermont that now have constitutional carry first had concealed permits. Your *constant* negativity is really quite tiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wikieod

I agree with Dave_pro2a, this is a states rights issue. The Feds have no business telling the states what they will or won't allow in regards to the 2A. Although I do disagree with some of the states reasoning for not allowing reciprocity (training, standards, vetting process, etc.), this still belongs to the individual states to decide. Believe me, I would love to be able to carry when I go to NY to visit my Dad, but once the Feds get a hold of this, nothing good can come of it.

Metalhead47

I agree with Dave_pro2a, this is a states rights issue. The Feds have no business telling the states what they will or won't allow in regards to the 2A. Although I do disagree with some of the states reasoning for not allowing reciprocity (training, standards, vetting process, etc.), this still belongs to the individual states to decide. Believe me, I would love to be able to carry when I go to NY to visit my Dad, but once the Feds get a hold of this, nothing good can come of it.

And there have already bee umpteen +1 threads debating this bill beyond nausium into ridiculousness. No need to start another. If you don't like the bill simply don't say anything and keep just this one thread for useful info on the subject.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Not since the 14th Amendment.

kcgunfan

This would be a states' rights issue, if states had rights. Would you mind showing me where you've found states have rights?

You also might want to read past the 10th amendment to the 14th, where you will learn that the federal government may force the states to follow the Bill of Rights, and the 2A amendment certainly qualifies.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

WOD

Look back at the title of the thread, INTRODUCED TO SENATE, so contacting Murray and Cantwell (Senators) would be the best people to contact. Since this Bill has already passed the House. Also, look who reintroduced the Bill... see an 'R' or a 'D', by their names? Cantwell and Murray may be anti's but they do represent the voters of WA, the more we contact them on this, the more they'll see, it is in their best interest to vote accordingly.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Look back at the title of the thread, INTRODUCED TO SENATE, so contacting Murray and Cantwell (Senators) would be the best people to contact. Since this Bill has already passed the House. Also, look who reintroduced the Bill... see an 'R' or a 'D', by their names? Cantwell and Murray may be anti's but they do represent the voters of WA, the more we contact them on this, the more they'll see, it is in their best interest to vote accordingly.

Yes do contact them and I strongly support contacting them but I have no doubt they will not support this bill even though both of them have stated in previous replies that they support the 2nd Amendment but not how we understand it to be.

KBCraig

Not since the 14th Amendment.
If we fully apply the 14th, then every restriction on carry is unconstitutional and invalid. Given that the federal government is more restrictive on carry rights than all but a couple of states, I don't expect to see the 14th properly and fully applied to gun rights any time soon.

Until it is, the power to regulate carry remains reserved to the states. And until then, we do not want federal-style restrictions on where we can carry applied to the states.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If we fully apply the 14th, then every restriction on carry is unconstitutional and invalid. Given that the federal government is more restrictive on carry rights than all but a couple of states, I don't expect to see the 14th properly and fully applied to gun rights any time soon.

Until it is, the power to regulate carry remains reserved to the states. And until then, we do not want federal-style restrictions on where we can carry applied to the states.

Federal carry restrictions are not applied to the states. In this bill the power to regulate carry is reserved to the states. Read the bill.

Dave_pro2a

And there have already bee umpteen +1 threads debating this bill beyond nausium into ridiculousness. No need to start another. If you don't like the bill simply don't say anything and keep just this one thread for useful info on the subject.

Ahhhh. The old "if you don't agree with me, then shut up" approach to politics.

Awesome.

sudden valley gunner

The old foot in the door of trick.

14th amendment applies the bill of rights to the states it doesn't equal giving permission slips.

A better way is for the SCOTUS to decide that permitting is unreasonable but that won't happen.

This doesn't mean I won't take advantage of this Bill if it passes. Maybe doing so will get states to realize they need to de"nationalize" it's citizens.

xd shooter

I think Dave's point here is that although the Bill states one thing today, How easy will it be in 6 months, a year, 5 years, for an anti gun member of the Senate or House to add in a small amendment, tagging along some larger bill that just HAS to pass.

States like New York, New Jersey, California are going to raise holy hell over this but will bide their time, waiting for the right moment to add in "reasonable" restrictions to this Law, turning it into something that is NOT reasonable at all, at least not for us.