• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012” introduced in U.S. Senate

kcgunfan

I don't know how hard it is, but why do you think it will be easier if this bill becomes law? Why can't they do that exact thing today?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think Dave's point here is that although the Bill states one thing today, How easy will it be in 6 months, a year, 5 years, for an anti gun member of the Senate or House to add in a small amendment, tagging along some larger bill that just HAS to pass.

States like New York, New Jersey, California are going to raise holy hell over this but will bide their time, waiting for the right moment to add in "reasonable" restrictions to this Law, turning it into something that is NOT reasonable at all, at least not for us.

They are waiting for that now. And they will wait for that amendment all the time. It is no easier or more difficult with this bill.

Read the bill.

Dave_pro2a

I think Dave's point here is that although the Bill states one thing today, How easy will it be in 6 months, a year, 5 years, for an anti gun member of the Senate or House to add in a small amendment, tagging along some larger bill that just HAS to pass.

States like New York, New Jersey, California are going to raise holy hell over this but will bide their time, waiting for the right moment to add in "reasonable" restrictions to this Law, turning it into something that is NOT reasonable at all, at least not for us.

Yup. Where are the major population centers?

Liberal states.

Where are the biggest state economies?

Liberal states.

Where is the most defense money spent by the Feds?

Liberal states.

Where is the culture shifting over the next 10-20 years in America?

To the left. Baring some unforeseen act of God that is.

If we let them do this now, then eventually it will be used against us.

Last edited:

kcgunfan

Hey, what does CCW in national parks have to do with a credit card bill anyways?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_CARD_Act_of_2009

I'm just saying "turn about will be fair play.". ;)

Obviously nothing, but that's an old old practice and isn't going to be fixed anytime soon. Was that beneficial or harmful to gunrights? Can you point to one that harms gun rights?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Just received Cantwells response to the email.

To shorten her response I left out the review of Washington State Laws and Requirements.

Senator Cantwell said:
As your Senator, you can be assured that I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun-owners, while continuing to support responsible gun control legislation to reduce crime and make our communities safer. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

And after reading her response, Mumbo jumbo comes to mind.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Just received Cantwells response to the email.

To shorten her response I left out the review of Washington State Laws and Requirements.

And after reading her response, Mumbo jumbo comes to mind.

No, that's just a simple 'screw you.' Phrased as a po;politician would say it.

cbpeck

Like others, I also emailed Murray & Cantwell. Cantwell sent back the same canned message that did not state how she will vote. I haven't received a response from Murray.

xd shooter

It's called History. Those who fail to remember it are doomed to repeat it.

The point was and is that changes, amendments, riders, are added all the time to "other" non related bills, and passed because the larger bill just HAS to be passed, something like a budget or other last minute "have to get it done" kind of thing. That's how we get bridges to nowhere and high speed rail that no one wants to ride.

I don't know what other bill Title II was attached to, but it wasn't voted on by itself on it's own merits, and it was very detrimental to individual gun rights.

A Federal Carry Law opens up the door to just this type of additions in the future that will have to be watched out for and fought against every day.

xd shooter

People like to use Driver's Licenses as a Prime example of why this bill should pass.

Well here's our Federal Government dictating to the states on how they implement their driver's license Program...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ct-strict-teen-driving-rules/?test=latestnews

The Federal Government doesn't issue Driver's licenses, but they are going to tell States to implement changes or else.

What will stop them from doing the same with your states gun laws and procedures?

"You need to enact these gun law changes or we're withholding government money"

Phoenix David

I agree with Dave_pro2a, this is a states rights issue. The Feds have no business telling the states what they will or won't allow in regards to the 2A. Although I do disagree with some of the states reasoning for not allowing reciprocity (training, standards, vetting process, etc.), this still belongs to the individual states to decide. Believe me, I would love to be able to carry when I go to NY to visit my Dad, but once the Feds get a hold of this, nothing good can come of it.

So when you go to New York you have a New York drivers license? Who do you think made all states recognize each others drivers license?

Full faith and credit

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There are always those that believe the sky is falling at every turn and either it is everything or nothing approach.
There will always be battles in our rights and laws that support or do not support everyone's views, this is not a reason to trash this that will let us exercise our Right to Keep and Bear Arms where we travel, except of course in States that do not have concealed carry.

Oh wait this would not make the States laws invalid as the anti group want to paint.
It is to reciprocate concealed carry licenses that will benefit Open and Conceal Carry as we travel around the country or in surrounding States.

Metalhead47

There are always those that believe the sky is falling at every turn and either it is everything or nothing approach.
There will always be battles in our rights and laws that support or do not support everyone's views, this is not a reason to trash this that will let us exercise our Right to Keep and Bear Arms where we travel, except of course in States that do not have concealed carry.

Oh wait this would not make the States laws invalid as the anti group want to paint.
It is to reciprocate concealed carry licenses that will benefit Open and Conceal Carry as we travel around the country or in surrounding States.

I actually agree with Dave on this one. :eek:

The assertion that "this will make it easier for them to do xyz BEAFRIAD!" is complete bull. It won't make it any easier, or any harder. If the anti's want to throw a rider for a national ban & confiscation, or whatever, they don't need this bill to do that. They could try that at ANY time, with any bill. Like any other part of a bill, such a rider would still be subject to review by the SCOTUS. The Congress could also do the same with a NATIONAL CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY rider if they wanted to. These things DO go both ways you know, ie, the National Parks carry thing.

This is so simple to me I just don't understand all the resistance to it from our side! The right to carry for self defense is a NATURAL RIGHT. It goes beyond the COTUS or any other law. The States do NOT have the right to restrict carry at all in the first place! They are WRONG to do so! ANYTHING that goes towards reducing such restrictions is a GOOD THING. It is LEGITIMATE for the federal government to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the States.

REALITY CHECK: Ron Paul is never going to be president. We are NOT going to magically wake up one day to a Grand Libertarian Utopia with the COTUS restored to the original 10 amendments. We LOST our rights one bit at a time, and barring some cataclysm, that is also the ONLY way we will get them back! We must claim every victory we can, be they small or large, and stop forsaking the good in hopes of the ​perfect!.

sudden valley gunner

[h=4]There already is written into this bill something that infringes on citizens and states rights........no state requires I carry state identification......How do you say show me your papers in German?

H.R. 822

‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms[/h]
  • ‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in subsection (b)), a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

S. 2128 states the same thing.........I won't push for this bill.....

sudden valley gunner

I actually agree with Dave on this one. :eek:

The assertion that "this will make it easier for them to do xyz BEAFRIAD!" is complete bull. It won't make it any easier, or any harder. If the anti's want to throw a rider for a national ban & confiscation, or whatever, they don't need this bill to do that. They could try that at ANY time, with any bill. Like any other part of a bill, such a rider would still be subject to review by the SCOTUS. The Congress could also do the same with a NATIONAL CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY rider if they wanted to. These things DO go both ways you know, ie, the National Parks carry thing.

This is so simple to me I just don't understand all the resistance to it from our side! The right to carry for self defense is a NATURAL RIGHT. It goes beyond the COTUS or any other law. The States do NOT have the right to restrict carry at all in the first place! They are WRONG to do so! ANYTHING that goes towards reducing such restrictions is a GOOD THING. It is LEGITIMATE for the federal government to enforce the Bill of Rights upon the States.

REALITY CHECK: Ron Paul is never going to be president. We are NOT going to magically wake up one day to a Grand Libertarian Utopia with the COTUS restored to the original 10 amendments. We LOST our rights one bit at a time, and barring some cataclysm, that is also the ONLY way we will get them back! We must claim every victory we can, be they small or large, and stop forsaking the good in hopes of the ​perfect!.

See my above post and asking for more intrusion by an already out of control federal government isn't going to solve the problem either.

Just because we want to carry our guns almost everywhere now...doesn't mean we open the door for further intrusion, which this bill in itself as I just pointed out does.