• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-hating Jennifer McClellan has solution to gun violence: Stalking laws

Repeater

A young woman is murdered and Delegate McClellan wants to make stalking a felony. She remains deluded that "paper protection" can work -- only the penalties need to be increased.

Here's a thought: what if more women open-carried. When will McClellan get a clue?

Henrico police capture murder suspect Alvin Marshall
Court documents would indicate that 21-year-old Tiffany Green spent the last few months of her life living in fear. She had told the courts and her family that her ex-boyfriend Alvin Rashawn Marshall threatened her; harassed her at home and work with text messages and phone calls. He even assaulted her.

“Somewhere along the line there was a failure in being able to protect her,” said Gena Boyle, advocate against domestic violence.

It appears from her paper trail in court that Green had tried to sound the alarm. She’d been granted two emergency protective orders in January and February. She had filed criminal charges for harassment, assault and extortion against the Marshall.

Advocates claim protection orders can be helpful when they’re enforced by those who surround the victim but in some extreme cases filing for one can escalate matters.

“It can cause more danger because the abuser realizes that he’s losing control of the victim that she’s reaching out,” said Boyle.

Boyle recognizes a pattern in the Green case that she sees with many victims that seek help.

“It sounds to me like this is a very classic case of stalking,” said Boyle.

In Virginia a stalking offense has a tough burden of proof and only becomes a felony after the third conviction.

Delegate Jennifer McClellan has been trying strengthen the law for six years following the murder of a University of Richmond student by her former boyfriend.

“Stalking escalates to violence escalates to murder,” said McClellan.

McClellan’s bill fails year after year when it gets to the funding part.

Creating a new felony carries a budget price tag $50,000 dollars in the Virginia legislature. McClellan says Green’s case is yet another reason she’ll bring it again next year.

“Unless we do something this going to keep happening, I hope it doesn’t take another woman getting killed before we realize that,” said McClellan.

That last quote says it all: "Unless we do something, this going to keep happening, I hope it doesn’t take another woman getting killed before we realize that."

Say, let's give free guns to indigent women. Maybe "access" for women's health purposes might win Jennifer's approval.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I listened to that interview which was stupid enough, but when you add in the countless arguments I've recorded in the GA, of her mindless babbling, it makes me sick!

How can anyone that brainless ever get elected to office (Answer: By brainless people):banghead:

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If people have an understood freedom to associate and freedom of movement, how then does one then justify the criminalization of "stalking". If a person is trespassing, prosecute them for such. If a person is assaulting or battering another, again prosecute them for such. If a person kidnaps another, again prosecute them for such. Of course any of these crimes can also be combatted by providing phyisical resistance or removal prior to the prosecution stage.

I listened to that interview which was stupid enough, but when you add in the countless arguments I've recorded in the GA, of her mindless babbling, it makes me sick!

How can anyone that brainless ever get elected to office (Answer: By brainless people):banghead:

Peter you have identified something that clicked in my head years ago. You get brainless dimwits representing and governing you, when you have brainless dimwits turning out to vote for the people. Sure, be upset with the government as necessary, but don't forget to include the fools who put them in place.

sidestreet

Escalate, escalated, escalation...,

all these twits harp on is some form of "escalate". Remember the D.C. mucketymuck that said just give them what they want, don't escalate the problem, guns escalate the problem. I guess they haven't figured out and probably won't figure out until it happens to them or someone they care about, is that their "escalation" argument is false. Meeting force with force is not an escalation, it's mutual, at least that's the way I see it.

Lots of them will spout that "You don't fight fire with fire, man.", which is also patently untrue, figuratively and in practice.

Something else about "escalators", someone usually has the "keys" to control the direction of the escalator, and I've got mine, and I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm not going to willingly take a ride or let someone send me to the "basement" if I don't want to, have to, or because someone else is forcing me to, and sometimes ya' gotta fight to put your "key" in the slot first to make sure you get to keep going in the direction you want, 'cause sometimes folks just don't get out of the "basement", if you know what I mean. Don't leave home without a good "key".

Strange thing though, I never seem to see the same concern from lawmakers when the word or the thought of escalation is used in conjunction with and particularly concerning their salary, privileges, or protection.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.