• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"preppers"

jrob33

As I watch the new Nat Geo "doomsday preppers i realize I would qualify as a "prepper" but not nearly as extreme as any of the people on the show....I was wondering since the majority of "preppers" are more or less "gun people" is the inverse also true? Are most "Gun People" also "preppers"??

I have recenlty started putting food up for the future, and purchasing bulk Ammo, While I live in the country, and have a well..Ive also started viewing that big ole swimming pool with a whole nother frame of mind. ive actually had some discussion with family, and we have a basic layout of plans should "SHTF"

Im curious if anyone else here would consider themselves a "prepper" and if so how are you prepping...

****NOTE****** as crazy as it sounds the United States Government has recently published several list of possible terrorist indicators...some of which include storing more than 7 days of food, or storing/weather proofing ammo, talking about "martial law" and stockpiling guns. I'm sure most of you know this but since Im asking for information, i wanted to make it clear....post as you see fit.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Sensible people prepare for unexpected events via emergency planning. This means something unique though similar for everyone.

Whether your emergency plan involves shelter in place, evacuate, or something else makes for different needs.

Sensible people advise saving up an emergency fund, but cash is only one emergency asset.

jrob33

ive wondered about that myself, but if you have purchased anything over the internet, or with a credit card, , then the cats out of the bag anyway.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Your concern should be for your neighbors, as much as the tyrant government. They will take what they want of what you have.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Trying to take what they want and taking what they want are two different animals.
Ho ho. Apparently sent from a community of almost 60,000 neighbors.

I have more ammunition than neighbors, even counting tourist visitors in the summer.

09jisaac

A situation like that would be exactly like a normal life in one aspect. Thieves, crooks, murder, thugs can still pick the opportune time to attack. Unless you could stand ready 24 hours a day 7 days a week (who could) then you could be robbed. Especially if you live out around a wooded area. With the proper cammo anyone can sneak within 200yds away from your front door. With any rifle they can just pick you off and leave if resistance gets too heavy. 400yds I could hit a man sized target no problem and a lot of people are better than I. Also, look how easy it would be to gain support for them. Do you think anyone will support you if they even suspect they will be robbed while helping you? If people are starving anyone can rally them to go door to door looting and pillaging for food/supplies. I don't care if you take out 100 there will always be more, somewhere, who wants what you have and is willing to do what it takes to acquire it. If they're convinced they're going to die anyways, why not risk their life to gain food for them and maybe the people they love. You don't have to have much to be a target if things get really bad. If you're in a warm house during the winter, say you have firewood and a fireplace, you could be a target. If you have a gallon of gas that you forgot outside then you could be targeted. If they know, suspect, think there is any way that you have ate anywhere more resent than they have you could be a target.

Would it be hard to shoot a neighbor for carrying off a can of peaches? What if you already knew you and your family didn't have enough to survive? What if you suspected he'll be back if you allow him to walk away?

How about if you were starving? Would you steal from your neighbors to feed you and your family? How about if you new that was a death sentence?

Stanley

By the time my supplies ran out and i had to leave the panic room I imagine thievery would be my last concern.

In reality, I view sheltering in place as a foolish plan except in short term situations like tornados/hurricanes. I only keep about 2 weeks of food and water and have a stash of tradeable goods like medicine, sundries, etc. Sheltering in place is not in my plan at all.

I trust my outdoor skills/experience and combat training/experience enough to be able to successfully exit the metro area at the beginning of the crisis, avoid most "city people" on my way to less populated areas and live off the land. It's only me I have to worry about. No family. Well family is so far away they'd be on their own.

All I need is my gun, ammo, knife and bow and ghillie suit. I will be getting an AR type rifle in the future though. Don't think my handgun would be useful much in this scenario.

If something went down while at work I'm still not far from home. Might be hinky getting there but most people would still be panicking. Only the shrewdest of predators would be out prowling at that point.

Could something happen like illness, injury, getting ambushed? Sure... But that could happen now.

I imagine I'll be fine though. Post apocalyptic scenarios have always been a part of and big motivator for the paths I've taken in life. Hell, one of the first movies I ever saw was Mad Max LOL. From that day I was always wondering why people weren't ready for that. Especially with the whole Cold War thing going on at the time.

Last edited:

09jisaac

In reality, I view sheltering in place as a foolish plan except in short term situations like tornados/hurricanes. I only keep about 2 weeks of food and water and have a stash of tradeable goods like medicine, sundries, etc. Sheltering in place is not in my plan at all.

I trust my outdoor skills/experience and combat training/experience enough to be able to successfully exit the metro area at the beginning of the crisis, avoid most "city people" on my way to less populated areas and live off the land. It's only me I have to worry about. No family.

All I need is my gun, ammo, knife and bow and ghillie suit. I will be getting an AR type rifle in the future though. Don't think my handgun would be useful much in this scenario.

Could something happen like illness, injury, getting ambushed? Sure... But that could happen now.

I imagine I'll be fine though. Post apocalyptic scenarios have always been a part of and big motivator for the paths I've taken in life.

So let me get this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong. In the event of a disaster you are going to take a PISTOL and a knife to get out of the city with 2 weeks of food. Do you have enough gas to get far enough out of ALL cities to avoid people doing the exact same as you? Then you are going to live off the land. Will you attempt to use your pistol to take game? I would be willing to bet that is a very slim option. Especially because game will probably get scarce from everyone else that didn't bother to prepare for a disaster but has the proper means to hunt/trap game. Farming would be a long term option, but in the 1st few months you will be on your own. And that is just if you arrive where you want to be in the spring. Fishing would be a more viable option. Without access to a suitable body of water (that will probably be overrun by people thinking the same as you) then you will be left with gathering things like fruits/nuts/berries or eating bugs/worms. I didn't see where you lived but in eastern kentucky fruits and berries aren't that common in the wild. In the late summer you can find blackberries but I don't know how long you could survive off of that. Hazel nuts and black walnuts are common but still I wouldn't want to live off of them and/or blackberries. Especially with a family I think it would be hard to gather enough to last a through a winter. Then you have to think about shelter. Are you just going to take someone's house or are you going to build you a shelter on someone's property? Abandoned houses aren't too common but most that are aren't fit to be lived in. So, if you manage to make it here in a decent weather with enough time to get situated you will have to 1. Make/fix/acquire a shelter. Find/hunt/grow food. Defend what you have. Stay healthy. Gather a form of heat for the winter and store food.

My suggestion. ALWAYS prepare to shelter in place, because you don't know if you can get out. You don't know what is out where you think you are going. You don't know if you get get there. You don't know how the weather will be. You don't know if you will have enough time to prepare for winter. I am not saying you have to shelter in place, that will be a judgement call. But always prepare for it.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
As I watch the new Nat Geo "doomsday preppers i realize I would qualify as a "prepper" but not nearly as extreme as any of the people on the show....I was wondering since the majority of "preppers" are more or less "gun people" is the inverse also true? Are most "Gun People" also "preppers"??

I have recenlty started putting food up for the future, and purchasing bulk Ammo, While I live in the country, and have a well..Ive also started viewing that big ole swimming pool with a whole nother frame of mind. ive actually had some discussion with family, and we have a basic layout of plans should "SHTF"

Im curious if anyone else here would consider themselves a "prepper" and if so how are you prepping...

****NOTE****** as crazy as it sounds the United States Government has recently published several list of possible terrorist indicators...some of which include storing more than 7 days of food, or storing/weather proofing ammo, talking about "martial law" and stockpiling guns. I'm sure most of you know this but since Im asking for information, i wanted to make it clear....post as you see fit.

I recall FEMA encouraging people to store food/water and buy plastic/duct tape for their windows, extra batteries ETC... They didn't mention ammo though.

Anyway if you have any sense at all you'll have some sort of emergency provisions. I can envision a variety of things and have provisions for as many scenarios as possible. We survived a forest fire this past summer. Thank God the house survived, and that we got out in more than enough time to secure our most valued possesions. So even if you live on a farm and have a million rounds of ammo you could find yourself having to leave. It's still better to have a minimal amount of stuff until things get back to normal.

Stanley

So let me get this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong. In the event of a disaster you are going to take a PISTOL and a knife to get out of the city with 2 weeks of food.

A) I hunt with a bow. Though I actually have more experience with "non-animal" food sources I can hunt just fine.
B) I did say the handgun won't be of much use, I do plan to get my own M4 (preferably) or similar rifle with which I am much more proficient with than a handgun anyways.
C) My "food" stash is for temporary emergencies. Think hurricane or tornado or blizzard, NOT end of the world.

Do you have enough gas to get far enough out of ALL cities to avoid people doing the exact same as you?

In an emergency you aren't getting ANYWHERE by car. Have you ever been in an area with an imminent disaster or post-disaster? Freeways are no man's land and you aren't driving anywhere. If you can't hoof it out you are doing something wrong. I regularly do 25-30 mile marches fully in the Shenandoah NP and 15-20 in the city for this reason. If you can't beat feet for 20+ miles at a quick clip daily you will have problems.

Then you are going to live off the land.

I've actually done this in several environments. Assuming I'm not surrounded by 1000 other people or all the wildlife is gone or dead I can do this.

Will you attempt to use your pistol to take game? I would be willing to bet that is a very slim option.

LOL. I hunt with my bow. I could hunt with an rifle but never have. 1) I consider it too easy. Doesn't mean it is but ammo does run out. 2) Why announce your kill for the hyenas???

Especially because game will probably get scarce from everyone else that didn't bother to prepare for a disaster but has the proper means to hunt/trap game.

This is true but there are several things to consider. I can get far in 2 weeks. Where I will be going won't be filled with people because MOST people will stay near home and/or in the city until they realize that's a mistake. Also, most people can't hunt. Many, if not most, country folk can but 90% of the population by me is urban.

Farming would be a long term option, but in the 1st few months you will be on your own. And that is just if you arrive where you want to be in the spring.

I agree. Though, if I were to be intent on farming I would first ensure that I was in a community of like minded individuals. I'm sure they'll exist post-apocalypse.

Fishing would be a more viable option. Without access to a suitable body of water (that will probably be overrun by people thinking the same as you) then you will be left with gathering things like fruits/nuts/berries or eating bugs/worms. I didn't see where you lived but in eastern kentucky fruits and berries aren't that common in the wild. In the late summer you can find blackberries but I don't know how long you could survive off of that. Hazel nuts and black walnuts are common but still I wouldn't want to live off of them and/or blackberries.

I'm sure many people will think like me but I doubt I'll see hordes of people roaming the forests. Most will stick to the city scavenging.

Especially with a family I think it would be hard to gather enough to last a through a winter.

No family. So this won't be an issue. As far as family goes.

Then you have to think about shelter. Are you just going to take someone's house or are you going to build you a shelter on someone's property? Abandoned houses aren't too common but most that are aren't fit to be lived in. So, if you manage to make it here in a decent weather with enough time to get situated you will have to 1. Make/fix/acquire a shelter.

This, is of course, the biggest issue. Forget the idea about a house. A shelter doesn't need to be a house. It simply needs to block wind/keep out rain/snow and provide space for ample fire. I have ample multi-weather clothing that suits various temperature extremes.

Find/hunt/grow food. Defend what you have. Stay healthy. Gather a form of heat for the winter and store food.

It's not just berries and nuts. There is a lot of food sources out there. Granted there may be competition but assuming people will act like people at the beginning there will be distance between me and them.

My suggestion. ALWAYS prepare to shelter in place, because you don't know if you can get out.

Nothing is defensible. You suggest staying in an indefensible condo surrounded by millions of people that most likely haven't planned and hope to weather it out??? Not a chance.

You don't know what is out where you think you are going.

I'm pretty sure what isn't going to be out there. The millions of city people currently surrounding me. Personally I'll take my chances in the woods with fewer people that, while possibly more dangerous are not likely to be in "panic" mode as opposed to being at the mercy of hordes of gangs raping and pillaging Hurricane Katrina style.

You don't know if you get get there.

I've hiked the AT and the PCT. Both continuous, not sectional. If I am not hurt I can get to where I want to go, regardless of the weather. If I am seriously injured I've got bigger problems and will be at the mercy of the community. Can't get around that.

You don't know how the weather will be.

Well, all of my cold weather survival, which culminated in spending an entire January solo (granted with a sat phone), in the Rocky Mountains. I'm sure I can handle what Virginia has to offer. As I'll be moving south and west I'm sure I can handle it.

You don't know if you will have enough time to prepare for winter. I am not saying you have to shelter in place, that will be a judgement call. But always prepare for it.

From what I have, I could maybe tack on another week of stuff and stay mobile. From what I saw in Katrina, having been and lived in Mexico, and pretty much everything else I've seen, mobility is key. You don't make a stand with your back to the wall. You gotta be able to move and move quickly. Personally, I believe it's better if you don't stop moving.

Granted, I am alone and having a family would change everything. I'm no stranger to being outside. :D I'm not a weekend warrior. I've already lived outside for extended periods of time(READ: longer than a month solo) at all times of the year in many places from the Rockies to the desert (well American desert lol).

I'm not saying I'm "trained" in outdoor survival and combat. I'm not even saying I "learned" it. I mean I have done those two things but more importantly, I've done them...

Trust me. You'd much rather be "surviving" and "fighting" in the woods than in a city.

But, as everyone knows, plans go straight to hell as soon as the first shot is fired.

Last edited:

Aknazer

If possible I would completely want to hunker down for 1-2 weeks before moving out in a true shtf armageddon situation. The reason being is that I figure those first 1-2 weeks will be when most people are trying move around/scavenge for survival. I figure by waiting 1-2 weeks a good deal of the people will either be gone or dead while it will be easier to defend my family (twin one-year olds and a newborn in addition to my wife) in my house than while trying to move. I don't really want to be trying to move my family right when everyone else is also trying to move and there's more vultures/scavengers alive.

Of course movement always depends on the situation. Waiting to move might not always be an option (fires spreading towards house, nuke attack relatively near with house within fallout range, natural disasters like flooding, etc), but when possible it makes sense imo.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Isn't it Mormons who are expected to have a year's supply of food for their own family?
It's a religious duty.
So the US gov't is linking Mormonism to terrorism?

I'm with most of you - sensible people have a plan for emergencies of all sorts, with the more likely emergencies getting more attention than the less likely ones.
Yes, I have a well-stocked first aid kit.
Yes, I have a spare_tire in the car.
Yes, I have smoke alarms & fire extinguishers in the house.
Yes, I have some items & skills that could be bartered if that became necessary.
Yes, I have a (somewhat) well-stocked pantry. [My goal is about a month's worth.]
(Remember water, either bottled or get a very good filter to use with a local stream; also some way to heat water, food, and maybe your living space depending on time of year.)

I don't think I'm paranoid about injury, car trouble, house fire, famine (blizzard, economic hardship, etc.), or TEOTWAWKI. But as with any preparation for getting through an emergency situation, on the off chance that something bad does happen I'll likely get through it a bit better off.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Your concern should be for your neighbors, as much as the tyrant government. They will take what they want of what you have.
Including particularly valuable skills. It is a not uncommon theme in post-apocalyptic literature, for example perhaps, John Brunner's Polymath (1974), previously Castaways' World(1963).

A physician might be held hostage to an individual's health or the health of a community.

PistolPackingMomma

I recall FEMA encouraging people to store food/water and buy plastic/duct tape for their windows, extra batteries ETC... They didn't mention ammo though.

I was wondering about this the other day. Since there are technically two conflicting edicts from our government, could it be considered entrapment? "We recommend you have enough supplies to last your family in case of disaster and we can't get to you..." "If you or your neighbors or friends or family have more than three days of supplies you may be a terrorist..."

Hmmm.

jrob33

actually the way it reads is that FEMA suggests you have 3 days woth of supplies, but 7 or more is a possible terrorist indicator..but then again in the same paper they listed paying with cash, or talking about the constitution as possible terrorist indicators. It would seem we should be scared to death of "trerrorists" as the govt tries to pass laws to forcibly vaccinate citizens, jack our water with chemicals, and force us to eat food that has been genetically modified with little to no testing, and what was done was "volunatry" Its interesting to noe that 20 years ago kids would have received about 1/4 of the vaccinations that they want our kids to have, but in that 20 years cancer, autism, and countless other diseases have have skyrockeedt ten fold. Every day the same number of people die from cancer that died on 9/11...but hey lets spend a few Billion more on the TSA, because the feds only have our best interest at heart...

jrob33

COLOR]

aqctually what i meant was they have produced lists of "possible terrorist indicators" and passed them out in accordance with their "See something say something" campaign and in that list one indicator was stockpiling/weatherproofing ammo.

jrob33

I for one am all about being ready, I plan to ATTEMPT to stay put and ride it out as long as possible, however there are certain benchmarks that will tell me its tim to run, I have plans for both, and I think its a good idea to have "prepped" more than one location, should I have to give up my home, I will still have some supplies, and equally important an exit strategy as well as a strategy to reclaim what was taken from me. to that end I will add that in my home not everything is as it seems, "they" may displace me, but I will certainly not make it easy on them, some will not live to regret raiding my supplies. I will at least not be facing tha same number of people when I come back.

Having said that I will say that I am planning to have more than me and mine will need, i have no problem with helping others, but my security arrangements are set to ensure that I do so on MY terms.