Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been called for Jury duty!!!

I have been called for Jury duty!!!

Its Wednesday night, and I just checked to see if my number came up,,, IT DID!!!
    the message said that I should leave my gun in the car or at home.
    I dont think that I should be Unarmed from my car to the court house.
    I know that the court house in Shelton has lock boxes, I will bring my own LOCK!

I thought about leaving the frame and mag in the car, then putting the empty barrel and slide through the machine,
    but I cant say which way would have the better impact.

I will bring the whole gun to the court house and lock it up myself, unless a cop is there to help me.

Comments???
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    ...but I cant say which way would have the better impact.

Comments???
    What sort of impact were you hoping to make, and why?

Take your gun to court like it's an everyday thing. Leave it with the deputy, do your duty, then pick it up when you leave.
    Last edited by Mainsail; 03-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Just to get the ideas out there for as many readers as possible, and because it upsets some statist who manages to show up whenever I post about it:

An Essay on the Trial by Jury by Lysander Spooner 1852. Definitely read Section I. You will know more about the function of the jury in our system than 99% of the population. You will also see how the government has perverted jury policies in the last 160 years. Its a real eye-opener.
    http://lysanderspooner.org/node/35

FIJA (Fully Informed Jury Assoc.) http://fija.org/ Our 5th Amendment video Professor, James Duane, is a member and you can read some of his stuff there. For example, this Juror's Handbook at FIJA was written by him: http://www.fija.org/docs/JG_Jurors_Handbook.pdf
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-14-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    What sort of impact were you hoping to make, and why?

Take your gun to court like it's an everyday thing. Leave it with the deputy, do your duty, then pick it up when you leave.
    I could be the the guy with 27 cents a wallet and and comb.

Or I could be the guy with a GUN PART! or!!

I could be the guy that wants to CHECK IN!!! A GUN!!! or..

I want to carry as i always do. i want to carry to all lawfull places...

I dont want to make a stance,,,,, I DO want to stand up!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I could be the the guy with 27 cents a wallet and and comb.

Or I could be the guy with a GUN PART! or!!

I could be the guy that wants to CHECK IN!!! A GUN!!! or..

I want to carry as i always do. i want to carry to all lawfull places...

I dont want to make a stance,,,,, I DO want to stand up!!!
    You go dude! And thanks for not whining about jury duty. It's important.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    You go dude! And thanks for not whining about jury duty. It's important.
    i agree about jury duty. i think it is a civic responsibility.

i was arguing with some (imo) moron who claimed that jury duty was forced conscription and the govt. had no right to force him into it.

this was a guy who repeatedly criticized the criminal justice system, and then when he has a chance to participate in it, presumably for the better, he makes excuses

i will likely never be called for jury duty but i would love to be able to do it

I hope if I am ever unfortunate enough to be facing a jury, that people with common sense and that support our rights are willing to step up and do their civic duty instead of looking at it like forced government conscription.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Thank goodness for voir dire. Yes, it tends to keep legally armed citizens from being empaneled, contrariwise it keeps eager enforcers off too.

My first jury related experience was formative and informative. My jurisdiction empaneled juries from a weekly pool of a hundred. The judge spent a long time lecturing on legitimate reasons for excusal, including the definition of felon. He went through the excusal requests and granted a few. Then he had all felons and potential felons line up for his evaluation. Fully 80% of the pool lined up suspecting that they had been liable, at sometime in their lives, to felony incarceration.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    To echo some thoughts here, remember jury instructions are not law...you can judge the law too. The trick is not to let the court know you know your rights as a member of the jury.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    To echo some thoughts here, remember jury instructions are not law...you can judge the law too. The trick is not to let the court know you know your rights as a member of the jury.
    SHHH!

I applaud your responding to jury duty. I am scheduled to call in next month.

Well done

I am proud to call you my freind Bob. I was called for jury duty 4 years ago when I was in intensive care at Harbor Veiw for 2 1/2 weeks. my wife called them and told them the Dr. wouldn't release me. Haven't been called back yet.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    i was arguing with some (imo) moron who claimed that jury duty was forced conscription and the govt. had no right to force him into it.
    If he were to opt out of all obligations, he'd opt out of all benefits too. Hope he can get to work without driving on a road paid for by taxes. Hope he can find food without going onto other people's property, state lands or federal lands. Hope he can find the criminal who mugged him, since calling the police is right out.

Benefits of citizenship come with duties and obligations too. People who want all the perks while whining about enslavement being illegal disgust me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I am proud to call you my freind Bob. I was called for jury duty 4 years ago when I was in intensive care at Harbor Veiw for 2 1/2 weeks. my wife called them and told them the Dr. wouldn't release me. Haven't been called back yet.
    I suppose it's possible your wife might have hinted to them it was a mental hospital...that might explain the lack of call back.
    Last edited by Difdi; 03-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Just remember, no glove, no love.

Wait a minute....... that's not right.

Something about a glove....

If the glove does not fit, you must acquit.......

that's it!
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Just remember, no glove, no love.

Wait a minute....... that's not right.

Something about a glove....

If the glove does not fit, you must acquit.......

that's it!
    That's funny right there!

Jury duty is long held a citizen responsiblity....it is interesting to me however, that if you are called and do not show up it is a misdemeanor.

just sayin'
    Last edited by jt59; 03-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    That's funny right there!

Jury duty is long held a citizen responsiblity....it is interesting to me however, that if you are called and do not show up it is a misdemeanor.

just sayin'
    Exactly. Shirking one's responsibilities generally does carry negative consequences...
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Mason County Courthouse Weapons Sreening Program
    Even though you possess a current Washington State Concealed Pistol License, your firearm is prohibited from the courthouse by law. You are strongly advised to leave your firearm at home or properly secured in your vehicle. If this is not possible, a limited number of gun lockers are available. Do not bring your firearm into the courthouse beyond the gun storage area.
    It appears there should be no issue, if this is the court you are talking about.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    If he were to opt out of all obligations, he'd opt out of all benefits too. Hope he can get to work without driving on a road paid for by taxes. Hope he can find food without going onto other people's property, state lands or federal lands. Hope he can find the criminal who mugged him, since calling the police is right out.

Benefits of citizenship come with duties and obligations too. People who want all the perks while whining about enslavement being illegal disgust me.

I suppose it's possible your wife might have hinted to them it was a mental hospital...that might explain the lack of call back.
    Call me crazy, but if I were on trial I'd really rather have all willing volunteer jurists -- not people coerced to participate under threat by the state.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Call me crazy, but if I were on trial I'd really rather have all willing volunteer jurists -- not people coerced to participate under threat by the state.
    Me too, then again most people who sign up or are willing to participate in jury duty are not people we want on our jury, I think this is why the prosecutor insisted on a jury trial for Josh's case even though he waived his right for one. Other wise you get these fools who believe they have to follow the "jury guidelines".

I'ts also why I have decided to change my stance from avoiding "judging others" (my old way of thinking) to participating in a system where I can legally and constitutionally judge the law itself.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Herr Heckler Koch
    Against whom would a coerced juror retaliate? It is unlikely that the state would be the defendant.

From http://www.fija.org/docs/JG_Jurors_Handbook.pdf

"You are bound by the oath that you took at the beginning of
    the trial to follow the instructions that I give you, even if
    you personally disagree with them."82 If the jurors
    explicitly ask about nullification, we are told that the
    judge should warn them of the supposed "fact" that
    acquittal of a guilty man for any reason would be a
    breach of their solemn oaths as jurors.83"

Hmm sounds like intimidation and coercion

Here is more good info on Juries and our Rights
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 03-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LizMichael
    The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any statute, to be valid, must be in agreement. It is impossible for a law which violates the Constitution to be valid.
    Could not be better said!

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.

[QUOTE=PALO;1720788]i agree about jury duty. i think it is a civic responsibility.

this was a guy who repeatedly criticized the criminal justice system, and then when he has a chance to participate in it, presumably for the better, he makes excuses

Exactly correct SIR

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    SNIP Exactly correct SIR
    Oh, I don't know. All it takes to complain about the criminal justice system is to be alive--First Amendment. Plus, the criminal justice system can have a lot wrong with it that no juror can fix. For example, the Blue Wall of Silence, criminalization of drugs, etc., etc., etc. PALO did not say the the complainer was complaining against the jury system; PALO said "criminal justice system."

Even so, jury duty can cause some serious economic hardships, depending on the person and the duration of the trial.

So, I'm not convinced about PALO's comment.

Here's a chuckle...: I'm supposed to be in the jury pool next week.
    Out of all the years I could have served (and would have been less informed and more likely to believe the lies the prosecutor will try to put over on the jury) I was on standby once.

Now I actually have to show up to convince them that they should have looked at the court record system before sending me the summons. (Yes, I tried explaining it on the phone & the clerk wouldn't listen.) Maybe the first day will convince them that I was telling the truth & they'll dismiss me.

And some of the things they say in their "informative letter" are asinine...
    For example, they tell us not to bring a spoon (to eat lunch) because they'll consider it a weapon.
    Yes, I'm serious.
    I'm wondering if that only applies to metal spoons, so I could use plastic to eat my yogurt?

I'm perfectly willing to serve on a jury, but considering everything I really doubt any lawyer will let me, other than for a minor civil matter. Maybe I should print out FIJA fliers & leave them in strategic locations?
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast