• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guess I ain't all that exciting!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I had to take some paperwork in to get notarized at the bank. I'd served papers on a fellow south of me in Aurora, and now I needed them notarized before sending them back.

So I walked into the bank and was told I'd need to wait for their notary public to finish up with something she was dealing with, and I just meandered around checking things out. Finally she called me over to a desk and we got those papers notarized.

I headed for the front exit and stepped outside to find 3 Aurora police cars right outside. Being beset with a sudden dose of paranoia, I figured I likely was the reason for their dropping by. I remained calm and started walking toward my car, passing directly in front of one police car and the officer looked at me. I waved in a friendly manner and kept walking. The officer could not possibly have missed seeing my sidearm as it was on the same side as the car with the officer in it. The officer simply waved back, and I reached my car without incident. While opening my car door with my key, I notied that the driver of a vehicle next to mine had emerged from the bank and the officers converged on him. I don't know what the issue was, but the officers never paid me another moment's attention. The other guy who came out of the bank must've had some real issues, because 3 cop cars wtih several cops on the scene gave me suspicion that something was really wrong with that person.

Anyhow, I never heard anything from the cops as I got in my car and left.
Sorta disappointing, really.
Guess I just ain't all that exciting these days!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Did he match your description at all? I.e. was there someone in the bank saying "No, the OTHER guy with the cowboy hat and beard. The one with the GUN."

M-Taliesin

Did he match your description at all? I.e. was there someone in the bank saying "No, the OTHER guy with the cowboy hat and beard. The one with the GUN."

Howdy Amigo!
I don't think I was that close a description... being I'm of the caucasian persuasion and all.
Just saying...
Blessings,
Mel

xmanhockey7

We had an OCer in Michigan who went to a gas station to fill up his car when multiple cop cars showed up. He figured they were there for him. I don't remember all the details but he asked twice if they were there because of him and none of them even paid him any attention. So he got in his car and left. Turns out right before he got there the place was robbed at gun point.

Deserteagle8338

Howdy Folks!
I had to take some paperwork in to get notarized at the bank. I'd served papers on a fellow south of me in Aurora, and now I needed them notarized before sending them back.

So I walked into the bank and was told I'd need to wait for their notary public to finish up with something she was dealing with, and I just meandered around checking things out. Finally she called me over to a desk and we got those papers notarized.

I headed for the front exit and stepped outside to find 3 Aurora police cars right outside. Being beset with a sudden dose of paranoia, I figured I likely was the reason for their dropping by. I remained calm and started walking toward my car, passing directly in front of one police car and the officer looked at me. I waved in a friendly manner and kept walking. The officer could not possibly have missed seeing my sidearm as it was on the same side as the car with the officer in it. The officer simply waved back, and I reached my car without incident. While opening my car door with my key, I notied that the driver of a vehicle next to mine had emerged from the bank and the officers converged on him. I don't know what the issue was, but the officers never paid me another moment's attention. The other guy who came out of the bank must've had some real issues, because 3 cop cars wtih several cops on the scene gave me suspicion that something was really wrong with that person.

Anyhow, I never heard anything from the cops as I got in my car and left.
Sorta disappointing, really.
Guess I just ain't all that exciting these days!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I know I would feel the same way as you, and it is unfortunate that society has demonized us to the point where we feel like the bad guys by exercising our rights and we expect to be stopped by the police for doing so. It's good to hear that there are cops out there who do not take issue with open carriers.

M-Taliesin

I know I would feel the same way as you, and it is unfortunate that society has demonized us to the point where we feel like the bad guys by exercising our rights and we expect to be stopped by the police for doing so. It's good to hear that there are cops out there who do not take issue with open carriers.

Howdy Eagle!
I don't know that I feel like a bad guy at all, but more like concerned that a cop might hassle me for exercising my right because he don't know any better. I never feel like a bad guy when carrying, from my own perception, but do wonder when I'll run into a cop that isn't up to speed on open carry. Some folks have encounted such people wearing a badge who exceeded their authority and attempted to translate thier own personal opinion as the law of the land... which it aint. We've all seen the stories and heard about such situations. I believe it is nothing more than intimidation to prevent folks from exercising their right or forcing them into a 'norm' that the cop doesn't need to deal with or find him/her/self forced to think. The ability to think seems to be outside the scope of what a few (and I believe very, very few) can manage.

It seems far more likely that the majority are informed and knowledgable about open carry, otherwise we'd all be posting a whole lot more tales of LEO encounters that didn't go well. When you contrast the number of folks carrying by the possible number of cops who likely saw them carrying and divide by the number of people actually hassled about it (at least here in Colorado) the numbers overwhelmingly support the contention that cops who violate the rights of the law abiding citizen as pertains to open carry are an abberation, not the norm.

Meanwhile, because there are a few abberant cops out there, we will continue to take that extra breath when stepping out the doors of a bank while 3 cop cars are sitting right outside. I just hope that everybody finds their experiences match my own, and they go about their business with little more than a wave or nod from the officers engaged on other business.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Got gas at Safeway yesterday with my fullsize SIG 1911 in a Blade-Tech on my right side. Custom Rosewood stocks, SS slide and nitron frame. Several people looked at it and went back about their business with absolutely no reaction. About what I would expect in Falcon.

rushcreek2

About 4 years ago while in a Walmart in Colorado Springs - I stooped down to grab some grocery item off of the bottom shelf. When I stood back up my sport coat had snagged on the grip of my S&W. A pleasantly assuring fellow "senior citizen" gently tapped me on my right shoulder and stated..." Uh - your - ah - gun is showing......" I replied - "Oh - thank you !."While re-adjusting my coat.

I had Oc'd in that same WM countless times without any comments.... Go figure !

Last edited: