Thread: Amother instant check issue/question

Amother instant check issue/question

So I let a friend borrow one of my 1911's (RIA compact tactical) and a holster to OC last weekend and now he's hooked. He went out to Bob Moate's Wednesday afternoon after finding out they were the only one's local who had the same RIA that I have.

Filled out his paperwork and was delayed. He says that they told him he was delayed until 3/20. That sounds odd to me, I thought that if you were delayed you were delayed, didn't know they could tell you when they would get around to finishing your "instant" check. I told him that my understanding was that they could legally transfer the gun to him after 72 hrs, but that not all stores would abide by that.

So has anyone heard of getting a dated delay? Has anyone had any experience with Bob Moate's and the 72hr rule, or are there circumstance's that nullify the 72hr thing? I know this guy isn't a felon, I've known him since we were in high school. He does have a DUI from a few years ago, and had a concealed weapon charge that was dropped (not sure if it was dismissed or nol prosse'd, but the court kept his revolver.)
    Last edited by builtjeep; 03-15-2012 at 12:15 PM.

From my understanding (someone will correct if I'm wrong).
    The day you start doesn't count and neither do weekend /holidays.

So by starting the procees on wed. 3/14.

thur 3/15 counts as day one
    fri 3/16 counts as day two

neither sat 3/17 nor Sun 3/18 count towards the 72 hrs.

so that would make mon 3/19 day three but I pressume Bob's is closed

That would mean 3/20.. they are probably just trying to cover themselves and have you come back after the 72hr has offically expired, they may or may not call before if the approval comes in early.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

That makes sense, just sounded odd to me.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by builtjeep View Post
    That makes sense, just sounded odd to me.
    They may not comply with the 72 hour rule anyway. They were one of the Bloomberg victims and I'm convinced that contributed greatly to Bob's death. I'd hate to classify them as "Bad" or "Not in compliance " .... because Bob and I were fighting city hall and the General Assembly long before the NOVAites discovered guns.....but I will!
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-15-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    From my understanding (someone will correct if I'm wrong).
    The day you start doesn't count and neither do weekend /holidays.

So by starting the procees on wed. 3/14.

thur 3/15 counts as day one
    fri 3/16 counts as day two

neither sat 3/17 nor Sun 3/18 count towards the 72 hrs.

so that would make mon 3/19 day three but I pressume Bob's is closed

That would mean 3/20.. they are probably just trying to cover themselves and have you come back after the 72hr has offically expired, they may or may not call before if the approval comes in early.
    kind of correct, the day you purchase does not count in the 3 days process so if he purchased on the 14th day 1 is the 15th day 2 is the 16th and day 3 is the 19th which mean the gun would be his on the 20th provided Bob will give it to him. You have the correct dates just wrong reason, it has nothing to do with Bob being closed. they have 3 days a full 72 hours before the gun can be released.

Considering recent reports, perhaps they just know they're running that far behind?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Just to update, he got a call this morning saying he was approved. We'll be breaking the new pistol in next Saturday.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    They may not comply with the 72 hour rule anyway. They were one of the Bloomberg victims and I'm convinced that contributed greatly to Bob's death. I'd hate to classify them as "Bad" or "Not in compliance " .... because Bob and I were fighting city hall and the General Assembly long before the NOVAites discovered guns.....but I will!
    I know you're kidding with this one. We've always had access to guns here.

Question to the OP. Why was he delayed? Did they tell him? What was the holdup. Lst time I bought a firearm, the check took about seven minutes (12 days ago).
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 03-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I know you're kidding with this one. We've always had access to guns here.
    There's a difference between a NOVAite and someone that lives in Nova.

Newbie here, but I work in a gun store. This is how it works:

When we enter the customer information for the background check, the VSP system uses the information entered. If the approval is instant, the customer walks out with their gun. If there is a delay, the return information from VSP gives the date on which the firearm may be transferred, with a note that the Transferer must notify VSP if this is done prior to an approval being issued. We, the gun dealers, don't make up the date of when the gun can be transferred - it's right there on the information from the VSP.

We get NO information about why someone is delayed or denied. That is a privacy issue and we are not privvy to it.

We're really not the bad guys. We don't make any money if the customer can't pick up the gun they want. Why would we not let them get it if we can legally do so?

FWIW, I had a customer delayed on 3/15 and his transfer date was also 3/20. It wasn't just your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
    FWIW, I had a customer delayed on 3/15 and his transfer date was also 3/20. It wasn't just your friend.
    So it sounds like, as posted before, this date is the end of the 72 hour clock as the state counts. It should probably be noted that this isn't saying it will take that long until an approval will be granted, but that is the deadline which upon being reached, the gun may be transferred anyway.

Is that a fair assessment?

TFred

Good to know that vsp actually includes the dat that it can be transfered without the approval, thanks for clarifying.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that the dealer was doing something wrong, it just seemed strange because i'd never heard of anyone being given the date when they could pick it up. FWIW, I've had nothing but good experiences shopping at Bob's.

I'll be purchasing a new piece this Friday, hopefully I will not be delayed, haven't been previously. Picking up a Kahr CW45.

Sent from two cans with a string.

Picked up the new piece today. Several other people were waiting around and I heard a couple of people come back as delayed, mine however was approved right off the bat.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it fits quite well into my Crossbreed 1911 holster, will probably order a new holster made for the Kahr anyway.

I have it on good authority that the SP are pretty well caught up now.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I have it on good authority that the SP are pretty well caught up now.
    Legislative session must be over
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    Legislative session must be over

There's a fair sized book that can be written about that one sentence roscoe!

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    So it sounds like, as posted before, this date is the end of the 72 hour clock as the state counts. It should probably be noted that this isn't saying it will take that long until an approval will be granted, but that is the deadline which upon being reached, the gun may be transferred anyway.

Is that a fair assessment?

TFred
    That is a correct assessment.