• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT, Good job on Q13 Dave

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I get nervous when the state or news starts to feel they have a right to tell me how to handle my gun

I saw that this morning. All he did was demonstrate a few basic safety measures. I did not hear him endorse anything or make a personal recommendation. Seemed pretty tame, but informative to a non-weapon person.

Thor80

On the floor covered with a book. That was funny.

I got a chuckle from that also. But it is a concept I myself have battled with, HOW do I keep my pistol at the ready while I'm sleeping but ENSURE that my 2 1/2 yr old does not wake up in the middle of the night and find himself with easy access. I've settled on keeping it up on a high shelf while I sleep that is 1-2 seconds away from the bed, and when I wake it gets put on or locked up while I'm at work.... I've ALWAYS been real careful with my firearms and my kids, but in light of the last few incidents I've found myself double and triple checking everything. Having a 7yr old and a 2 1/2 year old has aged me 10 years in about 1.....

To keep in on topic with the OP, I do also believe that it was probably very informative to non-gun folks and maybe gun-curious folks. :)

-Thor

amlevin

I got a chuckle from that also. But it is a concept I myself have battled with, HOW do I keep my pistol at the ready while I'm sleeping but ENSURE that my 2 1/2 yr old does not wake up in the middle of the night and find himself with easy access. I've settled on keeping it up on a high shelf while I sleep that is 1-2 seconds away from the bed, and when I wake it gets put on or locked up while I'm at work.... I've ALWAYS been real careful with my firearms and my kids, but in light of the last few incidents I've found myself double and triple checking everything. Having a 7yr old and a 2 1/2 year old has aged me 10 years in about 1.....

To keep in on topic with the OP, I do also believe that it was probably very informative to non-gun folks and maybe gun-curious folks. :)

-Thor

I assume you're having all the appropriate talks with your kids about guns and safety. At that age safety is pretty much NO TOUCH.

I raised two boys, was adopted by another boy and girl, and now have 5 grandkids that have cycled through house frequently. ALL OF THEM have been given what I call mandatory safety briefings on handguns in the house. Not a single issue over better than 40 years. Those who put the "talks" off for later are the ones that have problems.

Of course you can also just smear Vaseline or K-Y on the door knob of your bedroom. That' should keep the younger ones from getting in and disturbing either you and the wife , or the gun:);)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
On the floor covered with a book. That was funny.

LOL I thought that was funny as well, what is this a recommendation for a young school boy standing infront of the class and excited PUT A BOOK OVER IT! lol other then that pretty good.

I like the recommendation of mounting a holster behind the night stand or they do make a mattress holster as well.

waterfowl woody

I get nervous when the state or news starts to feel they have a right to tell me how to handle my gun

The news didn't tell you, they let Dave Workman tell you.Wouldn't it be interesting if they had a segment every week on safety with a firearm, not on laws to ban, but actually safe handling and storage. who knows that could save more "accidents" from happening then any law they would make with simple teachings. Banning things just makes temptations

VW_Factor

At what age do you feel is time to start going over other safety aspects other than, don't touch.

My feelings are the same along the lines of, keep it out of reach or inaccessible. "Security through obscurity" in this case (hiding under a book, etc) is simply too risky.

Vitaeus

I started teaching firearm safety to my kids when they were 2 and 5. They learned not to touch a firearm and to go get an adult. My youngest is now 3 1/2 and she can answer the question with "I go get an adult" and "I don't touch it" proven in a conversation with my hoplophobic mother during a Skype session yesterday. She also knows why I carry, "If someone ever tries to take me Daddy can shoot him and Mommy can take me inside and get me hot chocolate".

amlevin

The news didn't tell you, they let Dave Workman tell you.Wouldn't it be interesting if they had a segment every week on safety with a firearm, not on laws to ban, but actually safe handling and storage. who knows that could save more "accidents" from happening then any law they would make with simple teachings. Banning things just makes temptations

Just a quick question. Why don't we see any Public Service Announcements on Gun Safety. We see them all the time on drinking and driving, Smoking, and other general safety issues but I can't recall a single PSA regarding firearms. I know that much of the material for TV is produced by the industries involved but where are our Gun Manufacturers, the NRA, etc, on this issue.

Why not run a few "gun safety" PSA's right in the middle of the Cartoon Shows people use to babysit their kids?

Thor80

I assume you're having all the appropriate talks with your kids about guns and safety. At that age safety is pretty much NO TOUCH.

Yes, my 7 year old and I have the safety talk once every week or two. (He normally wants to more than that because I tell him I am proud when he answers the questions correctly on his own, he likes hearing that I'm proud of him... :)) He also goes shooting with me, he's using my little "Chipmunk" .22 that I got when I was 8 or 9. My 2 1/2 year old pretty much get the "No Touch, Dangerous!" version of safety.

-Thor

hermannr

my thoughts are:...Tell them the safety rules and why they are important....let them handle your gun(s) (empty of course), take it apart while they watch, tell them why it works the way it does, and the follow with...if you ever want to try shoot it, ask grandpa and we will go shoot. Do Not EVER say no to a request to shoot if at all possible. Even if it is only to take the "boys" .22 out and shoot a couple rounds.

When to start? At the instant they are curious. any time later may be too late.

My daughters always thought I started too early..but think about this. We (as a family) would cut firewood for my parents and our own winter house heat, every summer...total of about 10 cord...3 cords for us, and 7 for mom and dad. We had 5 daughters, my wife and myself.

I did all the cutting with the chain saw, my wife and the 2 oldest split the wood, and the three younger ones put the wood on the truck and stacked it. One year, the youngest (5 at the time) wanted to split wood like the big girls but we just said no, you are too young. Very bad mistake. One day when everyone else was taking a break to eat lunch Erika (the youngest) picked up an 8 lb splitting maul, a piece of wood that needed to be split, and promptly cut the end of her index finger off.

IMHO: If we had actually supervised Erika attempting to split a piece of wood, even though she was only a small (for her age) 5 year old, at a minimum she would not have cut off the end of her finger, at the best, she would not attempt to split any more wood until she was old enough to properly handle the maul. Good part was, the emergency room doctor was able to sew the end of her finger back on, and she never did ask to split wood again.

Last edited:

John Hardin

One day when everyone else was taking a break to eat lunch Erika (the youngest) picked up an 8 lb splitting maul, a piece of wood that needed to be split, and promptly cut the end of her index finger off.
Shhhh! Don't let Kline hear that or we'll get "Safe Axe Storage" bills before the legislature!

Metalhead47

Shhhh! Don't let Kline hear that or we'll get "Safe Axe Storage" bills before the legislature!

And registration! And axe carry lisences! And then we need to ban those ebil double-headed assault axes!

Oh, and the reason there's no gun safety PSA's... that's up to the networks, and why would they ever want to distract from subtle propaganda displayed on their violent programs??

They don't even need actual PSA's, I'd be happy if they had just ONE episode where the gun toters kept their dang booger hooks off the bang switches! :banghead:

Last edited:

hermannr

When I was 6 years old, my birthday present was being told I might never get out of bed again...I was told I had polio and rheumatic fever at the same time. Not unusual in the 40's and 50's. I remember a lot about that time I was in bed, and I remember when the doctor thought I was well enough to start trying to walk again...I put nothing past a child's ingenuity or determination...ever. I remember what I was like. Just saying "no" does not work...you have to remove the mistory by experience.