• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wyandotte County Sheriff.......(Face palm)

DWCook

Activist Member
I Was told by Wyandotte Sheriff Department that its illegal to open carry in the state of Kansas, after telling him Kansas is a open carry state he was baffled. Why does this not surprise me that a simple Kansas law is not in his knowledge? I told him that local ordinances are the ones that deem it as illegal or not allowed. Sorry but just had to rant this, I was just baffled that he didn't even know simple knowledge! No I was not in Wyandotte area at the time, this was just a phone call to confirm another issue. Even though he is a Wyandotte resident Deputy, he should at least know that Kansas is open carry, knowing local ordinances can ban it.

In general he flat out told me its illegal through out the state of Kansas, which is where I had to correct him on.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
The person I spoke to stated to me that its illegal through out the state of Kansas. In short NOT LEGAL to his perception or knowledge, when I told him Olathe is OC friendly w/without a permit he didn't believe me. But when I asked him he stated Kansas is a not an open carry state by Kansas law as he specified. When I respectfully reminded him that Kansas is an OPEN CARRY state he sounded confused. Something tells me someone did not pay attention in the academy.

DWCook

Activist Member
My bad it was a Deputy that I was speaking to, not the actual Sheriff. Again I'm typing on a small device with fudge fingers!!!

Buckwheat

Confused Deputy

DW,,,,,

I'm a former Deputy of the Wandotte County Sheriff's dept. This gets complicated but let me explain one thing at a time.

I'am a former Deputy because of the STUPIDITY of the current administration associated with the Sheriff's Dept. I was not fired or disciplined or anything like that, but knowing the Dept like I do I can see them advising you of such garbage. Most of the Deputy's (not all ) are very inept about such firearm laws and have a badge heavy tuff cool guy attitude. There are about 10% of the Front office Deputys that do 100% of the work,,the rest spend their day as lazy government employees. I left because there is a concern with public view and a discern with implementing law and order and the wellness of the residents in this County.

Traditionally a commissioned deputy in Kansas can only enforce state laws,,,thus, there are not any oc carry restrictions in the State Law so a Deputy can not prosecute a civilian for OC.
The difference in Wyandotte (Kansas City Ks city limits) is that they have concocked the Unified Goverment of Kansas City, Ks,,,that means that a Deputy can cite someone under any Kansas City Kansas city Ordinance. I wrote all my cites under KCK ordinances,,,ie traffic and otherwise. There for you can not OC per KCK city ordinance and a Deputy can enforce that ordinance. In the Wyandotte County citys of Bonner Springs and Edwardsville a Deputy can not arrest someone for OC and can not enforce those citys ordinances. When I stop a vehicle for a violation in Bonner or Edwardsville, I writ on a County ticket and the violator goes to the court house to pay the ticket. If it is in the KCK city I cite on a City ticket form and the violator goes to city court.

The current Sheriff is a X Kansas City Kansas cop and most KCK cops are Anti and he is, The current Undersheriff is a X Highway Patrolman and is very anti,,,Both are staunch Democrats and I assure you the Undersheriff is a Obama supporter.

Most cops in Wyandotte County proper would not know how to handle a OC situation,,,,,I advise to not do it and carry concealed.

Statements above are of my personal opinion and just mine only.

DWCook

Activist Member
Thanks for putting your personal view and letting me know of certain things. I know its a personal view, but this gives me a new view on certain things. My incident from last night at the Olathe Walmart is one situation that wasn't handled well. Instead of the store manager asking me if I could put my weapon in the car, he just called the police and got them to ban me from carrying any type of firearm concealed or not concealed. A long with me getting my picture taken and information taken on the incident, I now feel like I been marked. Sometimes I feel like law enforcement are riding the free ticket train and enjoying it, that's just my opinion. Not all officials are bad or corrupted, I have met and do know very good people who are police officers. My favorite comment from the officer who was talking to me at the store was "This isn't the 1800's", that made me think unprofessional attitude.

protias

Thanks for putting your personal view and letting me know of certain things. I know its a personal view, but this gives me a new view on certain things. My incident from last night at the Olathe Walmart is one situation that wasn't handled well. Instead of the store manager asking me if I could put my weapon in the car, he just called the police and got them to ban me from carrying any type of firearm concealed or not concealed. A long with me getting my picture taken and information taken on the incident, I now feel like I been marked. Sometimes I feel like law enforcement are riding the free ticket train and enjoying it, that's just my opinion. Not all officials are bad or corrupted, I have met and do know very good people who are police officers. My favorite comment from the officer who was talking to me at the store was "This isn't the 1800's", that made me think unprofessional attitude.

Contact Walmart corporate. That manager overstepped his authority and then file a complaint against the officer. He needs to keep his personal views to himself.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Depending on how my visit goes with the police department, and what I tell them on what comments were made will justify if I file a complaint or not. I will be turning in a letter hopefully to them that has the store managers signature stating I am allowed to OC in his store.