Thread: Manager chewed me out over bringing firearm to gas station.

Manager chewed me out over bringing firearm to gas station.

I didn't see a place to introduce myself, but I had a small experience this morning that made me want to know more about open carry.

I live in Fenton, MO, although I think the gas station I went to was in Valley Park which is very close.

SOmetimes I forget how freaked out some people get by firearms. Theres this gas station I go to regularly, and once upon leaving the firing range, I had my Beretta M9 in my car. I was friends with the gas station clerk attending at the time so I had him come out to the car so I could show it to him, it was a friendly interaction.

But 3-4 weeks later, today, the manager was finally working when I went up there, and she came out to tell me I can never bring a weapon on the property of her gas station, or she will call the police, she seemed kind of pissed off too at the time. Considering I didn't bring it inside her establishment, outside of kicking me off the property, I don't know what the police would write me up on, certainly not a felony. I didn't pull it out and start waving it around or nothing, I left it in the case and opened it up, just to show it to him. If I were drunk while possessing the firearm I could understand, but I was as sober as a priest on Sunday.

Personally I'd be more freaked out about the criminals with firearms not a customer coming back from a firing range who has his gun in a locking case.

Outside of what is and isn't allowed on the grounds of her establishment, I am curious as to which law or local ordinance I broke upon going to that gas station with a firearm in my car, and if she did call the police, what the penalty would be.

Please excuse me for being naive about local ordinances, I am familiar with state ordinances, but didn't think about local. I came here to learn so I don't find myself in trouble over my firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS1985 View Post
    But 3-4 weeks later, today, the manager was finally working when I went up there, and she came out to tell me I can never bring a weapon on the property of her gas station, or she will call the police, she seemed kind of pissed off too at the time.
    What sucks is that her gas station is the ONLY one you can use to buy gas. Imagine if you could go to a different one and avoid going to hers ever again.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

I would have told her very politely that I was no longer going to bring my gun or my money back to her establishment. And I very much doubted any of my friends or family would either. No state law was broken, and I can't imagine a local ordinance you may have broken, but stranger things have happened. Check your local code, they probably have a website, and if not I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get something from city hall. Good luck and don't go back to that hoplophobes gas station.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

If she really is the owner, & gets to make high-level decisions about turning away law-abiding customers for exercising civil rights, then let her know why you're taking your business elsewhere.

If she's only the manager, start climbing the ladder. Leave (metaphorical) bootprints on her scalp as you go over her head to corporate, complaining about her attitude, her threatening you, & the poor customer service. If she's only the manager, she doesn't get to make high-level decisions that could put the company in legal trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Accomplished Advocate
    Please excuse me for being naive about local ordinances, I am familiar with state ordinances, but didn't think about local. I came here to learn so I don't find myself in trouble over my firearm.
    No laws were broken.

1. She is the manager, she can call the police and tell you to leave the property and not to return, if you do, you could be charged with trespass.
    2. As the manager of the property, she has the FULL control of the property at the time of the incident, her authority has the same merit as the owners as far as the police are concerned.
    3. The owner may not agree with her stance and may correct his employee, that will be his choice.
    4. Never advocate for those levels of control to be taken away, you always want to retain property rights, even when they do not conform with your own opinon.

I would write a very polite letter to the owner stating you never sought to offend. Note that you will indeed honor the request to take your business elsewhere and will communicate their wishes across the gun community so others may indeed avoid offending them as well.

Life goes on and there is more than one person who freaks on guns, just remain polite and attempt to educate.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    No laws were broken.

1. She is the manager, she can call the police and tell you to leave the property and not to return, if you do, you could be charged with trespass.
    2. As the manager of the property, she has the FULL control of the property at the time of the incident, her authority has the same merit as the owners as far as the police are concerned.
    3. The owner may not agree with her stance and may correct his employee, that will be his choice.
    4. Never advocate for those levels of control to be taken away, you always want to retain property rights, even when they do not conform with your own opinon.

I would write a very polite letter to the owner stating you never sought to offend. Note that you will indeed honor the request to take your business elsewhere and will communicate their wishes across the gun community so others may indeed avoid offending them as well.

Life goes on and there is more than one person who freaks on guns, just remain polite and attempt to educate.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

No laws were broken.

+2. Couldn't have said it better myself (which is normal. lol).
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

No laws were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    +2. Couldn't have said it better myself (which is normal. lol).
    Well, I could have said it better.....but it would have consisted of a John Wayne accent!

+3
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Well, I could have said it better.....but it would have consisted of a John Wayne accent!

+3
    Thanks for the input, perhaps I will write MidWestern Petroleum about the incident.

I never understood why people were so afraid of guns (unless improperly mishandled) , I mean if guns kill people, Im a little overweight so Im thinking I should blame forks for making me fat, or once I got a DWI some years ago, so I should blame the car for drinking and driving, or the pen that I write with for misspelling words.

I smoke cigarettes, her gas station is where I go to buy them, and I am much more afraid of having to smoke out of a hole in my throat 10 years down the road, than any gun. In terms of deaths of US citizens, the Alcohol and Tobacco she stocks at her gas station make a firearm look about as deadly as a ping pong paddle.

But I guess there is some invisible aura around a firearm that says, the weapon can be deadly to people, that some people see, that I do not.
    Last edited by JimmyS1985; 03-15-2012 at 06:43 PM.

As to the "deadly firearm"...it's all about perception, and Hollywood and the Media do a great job of skewing people's perceptions of a basic tool. People would be just as equally afraid of hammers if Jason Bourne used Black & Decker instead of a Sig, Walther or Glock.

Thanks for the input, perhaps I will write MidWestern Petroleum about the incident.

I never understood why people were so afraid of guns (unless improperly mishandled) , I mean if guns kill people, Im a little overweight so Im thinking I should blame forks for making me fat, or once I got a DWI some years ago, so I should blame the car for drinking and driving, or the pen that I write with for misspelling words.

I smoke cigarettes, her gas station is where I go to buy them, and I am much more afraid of having to smoke out of a hole in my throat 10 years down the road, than any gun. In terms of deaths of US citizens, the Alcohol and Tobacco she stocks at her gas station make a firearm look about as deadly as a ping pong paddle.

But I guess there is some invisible aura around a firearm that says, the weapon can be deadly to people, that some people see, that I do not.
    Hello??? Earth to Jimbo! As someone who watched a loved one do that for +10 years, please figure out the obvious and quit. Spend about 2 hours with someone like that and you won't be making silly jokes about it on the internet.

How anyone in this day and age can smoke is beyond me.
    Last edited by FTG-05; 03-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Welcome aboard, and I encourage you to read study and research.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Hello??? Earth to Jimbo!
    Welcome to the forum, I am supposed to be the Joker.

when ever we have another OC get together... come on out!
    There are a few things to learn!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

No laws were broken.

I guess I should say +4 rather than +1?

No laws were broken.

+P
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Business owners speak with their mouth and their policies, consumers have the power to speak with their wallet.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Jimmy1985,
    If you write the ownership, please post their response.
    They have 50+ stores.
    Maybe they don't want my money?