Thread: Giving blood while armed

Giving blood while armed

A few times now I've donated blood at the blood mobile while OCing. I have not had any comments or concerns about my carrying. I was just wondering if anyone else has given blood while OCing.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Herr Heckler Koch
    Yes. I donated platelets (aphoresis) for ten years (two needles, two hours, twice per month, a double-volume). A few years after I started donating, my state became shall-issue. I discussed carrying with my technicians/phlebotomists and carried from then until the American Red Cross posted the facility against legal gun carry. My protests were ignored but I never darkened their door again.

They prohibited even cops from being armed while donating, supposedly for fear of them losing control of their gun while faint from donating blood. Phoresis does not cause a volume change nor syncope.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.

As noted, American Red Cross will not abide guns on cops and has, on one occassion I witnessed, asked a cop there on official busines to take his gun outside. (The explanation of the elements of obstruction of justice and impeding an official in the performance of their duty was downright entertaining. I think I even learned a new word that day.)

The local competitor to ARC in the blood-products arena also does not allow guns but has not, to my knowledge, ever seen the need to post. I stopped donating after doing so 4 times a year for close to 35 years when they had a hissy fit over one of the meds I take by Rx (and yet they were perfectly happy to let me donate while I was taking Rx narcotics - I hope whoever got that pint was happy).

The attitude of ARC regarding firearms, along with a few other decisions they have made in the past, has resulted in me refusing to make a charitable contribution to them and to vow to never set foot in any shelter that they operate, no matter how great my need.

On the other hand, The Salvation Army has never indicated to me that they care one way or another about firearms so long as I am behaving as a Law-Abiding Citizen - and that extends to their emergency operations (2 fires, 1 weather-related disaster). (They also have better coffee and fresher donuts than the other folks.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Herr Heckler Koch
    South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1993 originally and may still prohibit legal gun carry in "medical facilities."

The state grassroots gun rights group made considerable effort to get a clarification of medical facility as including a blood services unit or not (physician not present) or Dr. Wu's Holystic and Homeopathic Medicine Parlor. I believe that the issue is still unresolved in South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1993 originally and may still prohibit legal gun carry in "medical facilities."

The state grassroots gun rights group made considerable effort to get a clarification of medical facility as including a blood services unit or not (physician not present) or Dr. Wu's Holystic and Homeopathic Medicine Parlor. I believe that the issue is still unresolved in South Carolina.
    And once again this is the Washington forum, please keep it on topic in Washington.
    Live Free or Die!

I donate regularly with Cascade Regional Blood Services. Just to clarify what organization seems to not take issue. I'm not sure if they are affiliated with any larger organization or if they just simply service the local hospitals around Puget Sound.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I donate regularly with Cascade Regional Blood Services. Just to clarify what organization seems to not take issue. I'm not sure if they are affiliated with any larger organization or if they just simply service the local hospitals around Puget Sound.
    http://www.crbs.net/about_us/index.htm

About Cascade Regional Blood Services

Tacoma-Pierce County Blood Bank dba Cascade Regional Blood Services is an independent community blood center serving the South Sound region since 1946.

Overview

Founded in 1946 as Tacoma-Pierce County Blood Bank
    501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization
    Licensed by US Food & Drug Administration
    Accredited by American Association of Blood Banks
    Member, America’s Blood Centers
    Member, Blood Centers of America
    Member, Blood Centers Risk Exchange
    Governed by a Board of Directors

Your search - firearm site:www.crbs.net - did not match any documents.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-15-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks for the insightful comments from other areas .

Sent by Droid

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    And once again this is the Washington forum, please keep it on topic in Washington.
    I found the information relevant, since I live in SC, and was not aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I found the information relevant, since I live in SC, and was not aware of this.
    It doesn't matter if you found it relevant, the fact remains it was in the wrong forum. This one is for Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    It doesn't matter if you found it relevant, the fact remains it was in the wrong forum. This one is for Washington.
    I still find it interesting to compare other states' laws to ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    No crossing the streams, huh?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post
    I still find it interesting to compare other states' laws to ours.
    Me too. The fact that others come to our state to contribute is a good thing in my opinion. It means we are doing something right. Why chase them off, why not discuss the comparison between our two states. It is how we learn.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    No crossing the streams, huh?
    Reminds me of ridiculous "locals only" spots I have surfed in. Usually white surfers in California.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Me too. The fact that others come to our state to contribute is a good thing in my opinion. It means we are doing something right. Why chase them off, why not discuss the comparison between our two states. It is how we learn.
    Exactly. Being an ******* doesn't help. Just because another member from another state wants to comment doesn't give some of you the right to be ******** to them. Hell, I see some of you post in other state forums.

Usually white surfers in California.
    Racist, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    Racist, LOL

Yea some of them are...lol.....

Funny thing when this mostly white guy surfs in Hawaii, no problems its all about respect and I surf in areas many haoles simply wont go.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

I've donated a number of times at the pacific sound blood center in Bellevue while OC.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Yea some of them are...lol.....

Funny thing when this mostly white guy surfs in Hawaii, no problems its all about respect and I surf in areas many haoles simply wont go.
    Funny this Haole has never had a problem anywhere in Hawaii anytime of the day or night, must be an attitude thing, LOL I get what I give, or so it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    Funny this Haole has never had a problem anywhere in Hawaii anytime of the day or night, must be an attitude thing, LOL I get what I give, or so it seems to me.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    “Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control."

Hey Herr Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post

Herr Doug, isn't it actually South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Maybe you mean almost every other State. I surrendered my South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit when I moved to Wisconsin. I was 'used to it', having carried under it for about ten years.

Here is a link to South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996 , Title 23, Chapter 31, Section 205
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...se+Act+of+1996
    Last edited by HankT; 04-07-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Have to chime in here from the other side....I have drawn units on people before, and I have to say that I've seen enough people take a nose dive after donating that having armed proned out on the floor out for a 10 count patients (at that point, not donors) would perhaps cause issues. It would cause problems if I had to call an ambulance.

And for the Red Cross, I can also understand their attitude about firearms. Think about when/how the Red Cross was formed and it makes sense (Battle of Solferino, 1859 was the why).

Oddly enough, it was the Ranger types from 2/75 that would have the most issues with needles, not the clerk or mechanic from the support units...
    Last edited by oneeyeross; 04-09-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Well, I guess it's good that I know myself and that I will not pass out while giving blood.

I usually see them take the blood right out of peoples arms......