• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving blood while armed

tombrewster421

A few times now I've donated blood at the blood mobile while OCing. I have not had any comments or concerns about my carrying. I was just wondering if anyone else has given blood while OCing.:)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yes. I donated platelets (aphoresis) for ten years (two needles, two hours, twice per month, a double-volume). A few years after I started donating, my state became shall-issue. I discussed carrying with my technicians/phlebotomists and carried from then until the American Red Cross posted the facility against legal gun carry. My protests were ignored but I never darkened their door again.

They prohibited even cops from being armed while donating, supposedly for fear of them losing control of their gun while faint from donating blood. Phoresis does not cause a volume change nor syncope.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As noted, American Red Cross will not abide guns on cops and has, on one occassion I witnessed, asked a cop there on official busines to take his gun outside. (The explanation of the elements of obstruction of justice and impeding an official in the performance of their duty was downright entertaining. I think I even learned a new word that day.)

The local competitor to ARC in the blood-products arena also does not allow guns but has not, to my knowledge, ever seen the need to post. I stopped donating after doing so 4 times a year for close to 35 years when they had a hissy fit over one of the meds I take by Rx (and yet they were perfectly happy to let me donate while I was taking Rx narcotics - I hope whoever got that pint was happy).

The attitude of ARC regarding firearms, along with a few other decisions they have made in the past, has resulted in me refusing to make a charitable contribution to them and to vow to never set foot in any shelter that they operate, no matter how great my need.

On the other hand, The Salvation Army has never indicated to me that they care one way or another about firearms so long as I am behaving as a Law-Abiding Citizen - and that extends to their emergency operations (2 fires, 1 weather-related disaster). (They also have better coffee and fresher donuts than the other folks.)

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1993 originally and may still prohibit legal gun carry in "medical facilities."

The state grassroots gun rights group made considerable effort to get a clarification of medical facility as including a blood services unit or not (physician not present) or Dr. Wu's Holystic and Homeopathic Medicine Parlor. I believe that the issue is still unresolved in South Carolina.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1993 originally and may still prohibit legal gun carry in "medical facilities."

The state grassroots gun rights group made considerable effort to get a clarification of medical facility as including a blood services unit or not (physician not present) or Dr. Wu's Holystic and Homeopathic Medicine Parlor. I believe that the issue is still unresolved in South Carolina.

And once again this is the Washington forum, please keep it on topic in Washington.

tombrewster421

I donate regularly with Cascade Regional Blood Services. Just to clarify what organization seems to not take issue. I'm not sure if they are affiliated with any larger organization or if they just simply service the local hospitals around Puget Sound.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I donate regularly with Cascade Regional Blood Services. Just to clarify what organization seems to not take issue. I'm not sure if they are affiliated with any larger organization or if they just simply service the local hospitals around Puget Sound.
http://www.crbs.net/about_us/index.htm

About Cascade Regional Blood Services

Tacoma-Pierce County Blood Bank dba Cascade Regional Blood Services is an independent community blood center serving the South Sound region since 1946.

Overview

Founded in 1946 as Tacoma-Pierce County Blood Bank
501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization
Licensed by US Food & Drug Administration
Accredited by American Association of Blood Banks
Member, America’s Blood Centers
Member, Blood Centers of America
Member, Blood Centers Risk Exchange
Governed by a Board of Directors

Your search - firearm site:www.crbs.net - did not match any documents.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I still find it interesting to compare other states' laws to ours.

Me too. The fact that others come to our state to contribute is a good thing in my opinion. It means we are doing something right. Why chase them off, why not discuss the comparison between our two states. It is how we learn.

No crossing the streams, huh?

Reminds me of ridiculous "locals only" spots I have surfed in. Usually white surfers in California.

badkarma

Me too. The fact that others come to our state to contribute is a good thing in my opinion. It means we are doing something right. Why chase them off, why not discuss the comparison between our two states. It is how we learn.
Exactly. Being an ******* doesn't help. Just because another member from another state wants to comment doesn't give some of you the right to be ******** to them. Hell, I see some of you post in other state forums.

Jeff Hayes

Yea some of them are...lol.....:cool:

Funny thing when this mostly white guy surfs in Hawaii, no problems its all about respect and I surf in areas many haoles simply wont go.

Funny this Haole has never had a problem anywhere in Hawaii anytime of the day or night, must be an attitude thing, LOL I get what I give, or so it seems to me.