• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A reason to carry in Virginia beach

Riana

Now in Riana's case, it would be perfectly legal because the GFZ recognizes CHP holders which she is.

Actually, that applies now. Back then, I did not yet have a CHP. When my son was in 3rd grade, I lived in a house which shared a property line with the school - I would walk with my son to our backyard gate and watch him go across the field to the school building. On private property the entire time.

Still perfectly legal.

sparkman2

This was also my first and second reaction to the OP. I OC because I can and don't need any other reason to do so. Deciding when to use it is another matter altogether.

When I posted the link to the news story my intention was to inform the people who come to this forum that this crime occurred in VB and that an innocent woman was assaulted by a kid who used a gun. Not every one who views this site is a gun owner, sometimes they view this site to gather information about the laws in our state, to see what other people are saying about OCing. But when they see things like this, and it hits so close to where they live, it might get them to thinking that they need to start taking the necessary precautions to protect themselves when they go out at night or in this case the morning. Your right, carrying is one thing but using it is another.

ocholsteroc

So that would necessarily mean then that in order to comply with the GFSZA, one MUST conceal carry, and Open Carriers within 1000 feet of a school property are felons, whether they have a CHP or not. Because as soon as the gun becomes un-concealed, the carrier is no longer licensed.

TFred

Did you read what else it said? Must have a licence from that STATE, meaning out of state CCW's arn't valid for GFSZA
page1-445px-Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf.jpg

page2-496px-Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf.jpg

The only excetion I could find was

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. if you are just passing through the state, say NC/SC on the highway.

This is soooooooo screwed up and see why people have like 5 different CCW permits. I know a guy with 3 and another with 5.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
IANAL but my theory on the GFSZA is; by saying your permit/license issued by another state is valid in VA, VA has issued a de facto permit/license.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So that would necessarily mean then that in order to comply with the GFSZA, one MUST conceal carry, and Open Carriers within 1000 feet of a school property are felons, whether they have a CHP or not. Because as soon as the gun becomes un-concealed, the carrier is no longer licensed.

TFred

I really thought better of you.

The Commonwealth of Virginia issued a CHP (the license) to me because I was not otherwise prohibited from receiving it. Should I travel to Canada, I am still licensed even though I do not have my handgun with me. Should I sell off all my handguns I would remain licensed until the expiration date of the CHP.

The license (CHP in the case of Virginia residents) is merely an indicator of permission from the Commonwealth to do an otherwise illegal act.

How you determined otherwise defies not only logic but my previous estimation of your understanding of the mechanics of the law.

stay safe.

TFred

I really thought better of you.

The Commonwealth of Virginia issued a CHP (the license) to me because I was not otherwise prohibited from receiving it. Should I travel to Canada, I am still licensed even though I do not have my handgun with me. Should I sell off all my handguns I would remain licensed until the expiration date of the CHP.

The license (CHP in the case of Virginia residents) is merely an indicator of permission from the Commonwealth to do an otherwise illegal act.

How you determined otherwise defies not only logic but my previous estimation of your understanding of the mechanics of the law.

stay safe.
Context, context, context. (Ha ha, I guess I could say that I thought better of you, to take the context of a post in consideration to ascertain the full meaning!) :p

That post was at the end of a dialog with another poster over what I considered to be a convoluted interpretation of the meaning of what a CHP "licenses". My post was merely the logical extension of what I considered to be invalid logic. And it was 4 days ago. Long out of my mind.

:)

TFred

TFred

Did you read what else it said? Must have a licence from that STATE, meaning out of state CCW's arn't valid for GFSZA

[snipped images for space]

The only excetion I could find was

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. if you are just passing through the state, say NC/SC on the highway.

This is soooooooo screwed up and see why people have like 5 different CCW permits. I know a guy with 3 and another with 5.
Are you aware that the source you cite (these letters) are just that... letters from some flunky at BATFE? They're just another government worker's opinion, and carry no weight of law, that I am aware of.

And as others posted, I also agree, a "license" is the intangible state of being granted permission to do something. Virginia says you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun if you have been qualified by another particular state to do the same thing. Utah or Florida have no authority to "license" me to carry in Virginia, only Virginia can do that, but they do that based on the qualifications that I have shown by obtaining the permit from the other state.

As with all the GFSZA stuff, it's all theoretical until it's tried in court, and I don't think that will ever happen because the "suspended hammer" they can hold over every law-abiding citizen right now is much more effective than the hammer taken away by another finding of "unconstitutional".

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Context, context, context. .... And it was 4 days ago. Long out of my mind.

:)

TFred

Didn't realize there was a time limit for getting around to all the posts. At least I did give you the context so you could go back and refresh your memory. Since you were able to do that, I'll give you a passing mark on temporal orientation. Now if we coud just say the same about you on the other three axes.:p

And, as you know, I would not have played games with invalid logic. But that's just me.:uhoh:

stay safe.