Thread: Open carry bill flies through Oklahoma Senate, heads to House

Centurion

Open carry bill flies through Oklahoma Senate, heads to House

By Rick Couri

Oklahoma has been on the verge of an open carry law for firearms for several years. Then Governor Brad Henry vetoed the last measure to make it that far in 2010 but Governor Mary Fallin may have a chance to sign one of her own. Senate bill 1733 was passed by a 34-9 vote on Wednesday and now heads to the House for further consideration.

1733 would allow anyone with a concealed carry permit to also carry the gun openly if they choose. The bill was written by Senator Anthony Sykes a Republican from Moore and would require those applying to show they can load, unload, fire, and clear a gun as well as take other courses on gun education.

There is more than one bill working through the legislative process in Oklahoma. Two weeks ago KRMG told you about House bill 2522 that passed through committee and was headed to the full house for consideration. 2522 is still in process as 1733 will be as well.

You can take a look at the bill with one click here.

One of those voting against the bill was Oklahoma City Democratic Senator Constance Johnson. Johnson made reference to Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin when she said "I hope that girl in the Governors office, if it gets that far will say, that is enough boys."

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/open-c...e-heads/nLTDG/

further update from FB
    https://www.facebook.com/opencarryok
    time to start making calls

If you license a right, it is not a right, but a regulated privilage,

Good luck with this go around...maybe eventually, OK will become a true free state,

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    If you license a right, it is not a right, but a regulated privilage,

Good luck with this go around...maybe eventually, OK will become a true free state,
    Yes, but if you license carrying of both concealed and unconcealed then this may come into play:

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Not having read the case I can not say for sure, but this excerpt looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    Yes, but if you license carrying of both concealed and unconcealed then this may come into play:

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Not having read the case I can not say for sure, but this excerpt looks promising.
    That is what they are arguing in California right now. That and this is the reason no-one put substantial effort into stopping the new restriction on unloaded OC there.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Forgive my ignorance

What is the deal with Oklahoma? I have read about an OC bill being passed by the Senate and one being passed by the House. Why are the two going back & forth? Are they amending them and sending them back to one another for approval or are they two different bills? When can we expect something to be on the Governor's desk? I am originally from Georgia and have recently moved here from Michigan, so I am just trying to figure out how the legislator works here. Thanks.

SS, both the House and the Senate had a OC bill, now that the bills have passed their respective sectors, they go to the opposite sector for approval, once they get approved they go to the Gov. Desk. Visit www.facebook.com/opencarryok

A lot of info, we keep the OC convo going. Also the explanation I gave you is a brief summary of how it goes. I would go into detail but my phone is about to die. Thank you for your support!!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yllat0

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    FireHawk, thanks. I actually did end up on the FB page shortly after I posted here and after reading some posts there & doing further research, I have a clear understanding of what is going on now. I also signed up for Email alerts regarding both bills on the state legislative website. Thank you again.