Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    2

    Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit

    I am waiting to receive my concealed weapons permit. For now I carry a duffle bag with the pistol inside, holstered, no magazine in the pistol. All mags are in the duffle bag, but they are unloaded, all ammo is inside boxes. I put the bag in the bed of the truck up against the cab.

    I have heard of SB 17 passing last fall but haven't heard if it allows you to carry a loaded gun in a holster as I would in public. Does getting in the vehicle still constitute "concealing" the weapon? I just want to make sure I'm following the law correctly when I'm in my truck. I'd probably OC more if I could transport it in my truck loaded in my belt holster. It's a hassle to have to load a mag or two and then stash the bag in the truck for storage just to have to unload it all again to go anywhere else.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    You're going to have to keep doing what you are doing. SB17 didn't change that part of the law. Only those with a Concealed Handgun License can carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Long View Post
    I am waiting to receive my concealed weapons permit. For now I carry a duffle bag with the pistol inside, holstered, no magazine in the pistol. All mags are in the duffle bag, but they are unloaded, all ammo is inside boxes. I put the bag in the bed of the truck up against the cab...
    Excellent - especially because in Ohio, loaded mags and/or speedloaders = loaded gun.



    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Long View Post
    ...I have heard of SB 17 passing last fall but haven't heard if it allows you to carry a loaded gun in a holster as I would in public...
    ? I'm not clear on what you're referring to, but concealed carry has been legal, with a license, for a number of years.



    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Long View Post
    ...Does getting in the vehicle still constitute "concealing" the weapon?
    Yes, it does.


    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Long View Post
    ...I'd probably OC more if I could transport it in my truck loaded in my belt holster. It's a hassle to have to load a mag or two and then stash the bag in the truck for storage just to have to unload it all again to go anywhere else...
    Absolutely understood. In Ohio you need a license to carry loaded (concealed), but no license to open carry loaded. There are off-limits places that apply, depending on how you're carrying, and whether/if you want to challenge how the law is written. Basically, if you don't carry open anywhere where concealed carry is disallowed, you're legally golden.

    .
    One more thing - as previously mentioned, if you're cc'ing, you must promptly notify when stopped by LE, and you must carry another form of government issued ID when cc'ing.
    Last edited by BB62; 03-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post

    In Ohio <snip>, but no license to open carry loaded.(in a vehicle)

    Do you have a cite for this?
    I will be driving through OH this weekend.
    Last edited by Sig229; 03-27-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Do you have a cite for this?
    I will be driving through OH this weekend.
    BB62's posting doesn't say "(in a vehicle)". Where did that come from?

    You very definitely need a license to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle in Ohio.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lewis Center, OH
    Posts
    137
    Absolutely understood. In Ohio you need a license to carry loaded (concealed), but no license to open carry loaded. There are off-limits places that apply, depending on how you're carrying, and whether/if you want to challenge how the law is written. Basically, if you don't carry open anywhere where concealed carry is disallowed, you're legally golden.
    Not quite. If you don't have a CHL and open carry, you cannot get within 1000 feet of a school. You also can't enter liquor establishments that sell poured drinks (whether bar or restaurant), as that was only granted to CHL holders I believe. I might be wrong on that last part, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to CHL and not unlicensed open carry.
    I'm what Willis was talking about.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    3
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Revised Code 2923.16 part B say "No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle."

    From my interpretation of this means that in a car I can have it in the trunk and be clear... side note with the newer cars wonder if it gets sketchy since you can open the trunk from the inside...

    I wonder how this would apply to your case (and mine) since it says compartment I wonder if we could just put it in a case and throw it in the bed loaded and be good to go...

    P.S. first post hope I made it a good one :P

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    3
    I was going without a ccw

  9. #9
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    BB62's posting doesn't say "(in a vehicle)". Where did that come from?
    Well, the topic of this thread is "Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit", So I figured he was speaking about that.
    Last edited by Sig229; 03-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfJefferson View Post
    Not quite. If you don't have a CHL and open carry, you cannot get within 1000 feet of a school...
    Good catch. As far as the school carry goes, although you are technically correct, that law is a Federal law which got shot down once, and then (I believe) has been put back on the books and not used since then. For those reasons I don't mention it, but as I said, you are technically correct.


    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfJefferson View Post
    ...You also can't enter liquor establishments that sell poured drinks (whether bar or restaurant), as that was only granted to CHL holders I believe. I might be wrong on that last part, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to CHL and not unlicensed open carry.
    You're absolutely correct - I overlooked it. Thanks GoJ. As an FYI to the OP: a license allows you to OC in serving establishments too!

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Well, the topic of this thread is "Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit", So I figured he was speaking about that.
    No, RT48's first post on the thread noted the illegality (unless one has a license) of carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

    Please don't quote posts and then add or change the text. Doing so makes it look like a quote when it's not.
    Last edited by BB62; 04-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •