• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit

USAF Long

I am waiting to receive my concealed weapons permit. For now I carry a duffle bag with the pistol inside, holstered, no magazine in the pistol. All mags are in the duffle bag, but they are unloaded, all ammo is inside boxes. I put the bag in the bed of the truck up against the cab.

I have heard of SB 17 passing last fall but haven't heard if it allows you to carry a loaded gun in a holster as I would in public. Does getting in the vehicle still constitute "concealing" the weapon? I just want to make sure I'm following the law correctly when I'm in my truck. I'd probably OC more if I could transport it in my truck loaded in my belt holster. It's a hassle to have to load a mag or two and then stash the bag in the truck for storage just to have to unload it all again to go anywhere else.

RT48

You're going to have to keep doing what you are doing. SB17 didn't change that part of the law. Only those with a Concealed Handgun License can carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I am waiting to receive my concealed weapons permit. For now I carry a duffle bag with the pistol inside, holstered, no magazine in the pistol. All mags are in the duffle bag, but they are unloaded, all ammo is inside boxes. I put the bag in the bed of the truck up against the cab...
Excellent - especially because in Ohio, loaded mags and/or speedloaders = loaded gun.

...I have heard of SB 17 passing last fall but haven't heard if it allows you to carry a loaded gun in a holster as I would in public...
? I'm not clear on what you're referring to, but concealed carry has been legal, with a license, for a number of years.

...Does getting in the vehicle still constitute "concealing" the weapon?
Yes, it does.

...I'd probably OC more if I could transport it in my truck loaded in my belt holster. It's a hassle to have to load a mag or two and then stash the bag in the truck for storage just to have to unload it all again to go anywhere else...
Absolutely understood. In Ohio you need a license to carry loaded (concealed), but no license to open carry loaded. There are off-limits places that apply, depending on how you're carrying, and whether/if you want to challenge how the law is written. Basically, if you don't carry open anywhere where concealed carry is disallowed, you're legally golden.

One more thing - as previously mentioned, if you're cc'ing, you must promptly notify when stopped by LE, and you must carry another form of government issued ID when cc'ing.

Last edited:

GhostOfJefferson

Absolutely understood. In Ohio you need a license to carry loaded (concealed), but no license to open carry loaded. There are off-limits places that apply, depending on how you're carrying, and whether/if you want to challenge how the law is written. Basically, if you don't carry open anywhere where concealed carry is disallowed, you're legally golden.

Not quite. If you don't have a CHL and open carry, you cannot get within 1000 feet of a school. You also can't enter liquor establishments that sell poured drinks (whether bar or restaurant), as that was only granted to CHL holders I believe. I might be wrong on that last part, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to CHL and not unlicensed open carry.

nckheinrich

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Revised Code § 2923.16 part B say "No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle."

From my interpretation of this means that in a car I can have it in the trunk and be clear... side note with the newer cars wonder if it gets sketchy since you can open the trunk from the inside...

I wonder how this would apply to your case (and mine) since it says compartment I wonder if we could just put it in a case and throw it in the bed loaded and be good to go...

P.S. first post hope I made it a good one :p

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Not quite. If you don't have a CHL and open carry, you cannot get within 1000 feet of a school...
Good catch. As far as the school carry goes, although you are technically correct, that law is a Federal law which got shot down once, and then (I believe) has been put back on the books and not used since then. For those reasons I don't mention it, but as I said, you are technically correct.

...You also can't enter liquor establishments that sell poured drinks (whether bar or restaurant), as that was only granted to CHL holders I believe. I might be wrong on that last part, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to CHL and not unlicensed open carry.
You're absolutely correct - I overlooked it. :cry: Thanks GoJ. As an FYI to the OP: a license allows you to OC in serving establishments too!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well, the topic of this thread is "Transporting a firearm in a regular cab truck without CCW Permit", So I figured he was speaking about that.
No, RT48's first post on the thread noted the illegality (unless one has a license) of carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

Please don't quote posts and then add or change the text. Doing so makes it look like a quote when it's not.

Last edited: