• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Shooting Ranges

psyclone07

So where do you guys shoot? Looking for a range with a decent price and best I could come up with is Hoffmans. I think their pricing is 25 per hour + you have to buy ammo from them. Anyone know of any other places not to far from Hartford? Wolf's range in Bristol is $30 an hour + ammo as well. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

KIX

Join a club, it's well worth it.

Most clubs have a higher first year fee (especially clubs where you get a share of the land). After that, it's a no brainer.

I love my club. Have a blast there ALL the time (literally.... and figuratively!).

I joined when I was a Middletown resident and it is about 20-25 minute drive. Only about ten minutes more than going to the turnpike. That being said, I get access to pistol, rifle, trap, skeet, archery (with a large stand with several target bases), a trail for hunting birds (haven't used that perk yet), a clubhouse, a clubhouse that has a bar on weekends (after you shoot of course!!!).

Cost was 450. the first year, 200. every year thereafter. Hell, I would spend the first year on two months of range time!!!

So, I'd look to a club indeed if you really like to shoot. Check the clubs website and see if they have open enrollment. Our club still has spots available. If you would like to check it out, PM me and maybe we can arrange a date.

This would be a good opportunity for anyone else to post if their clubs are near central CT and have any openings as well.

Jonathan

brk913

So where do you guys shoot? Looking for a range with a decent price and best I could come up with is Hoffmans. I think their pricing is 25 per hour + you have to buy ammo from them. Anyone know of any other places not to far from Hartford? Wolf's range in Bristol is $30 an hour + ammo as well. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Wolf's is actually $22 an hour for the first hour then 1/2 price for every hour after that and you only have to buy their ammo if you are renting their guns, if you have your own gun you can bring your own ammo.

ETA: Kix is right, joining a club is the way to go...

Last edited:

bmmd321

I've been to both Hoffmans and Wolfes. I prefer Hoffmans because it's a lot newer and definitely cleaner. Never had to buy there ammo to shoot I do believe its when you rent one of there firearms that you have to purchase there ammo.

brk913

I've been to both Hoffmans and Wolfes. I prefer Hoffmans because it's a lot newer and definitely cleaner. Never had to buy there ammo to shoot I do believe its when you rent one of there firearms that you have to purchase there ammo.

Not sure how you got your own ammo into Hoffman's, from my experiences they make you buy their ammo to even shoot your own gun. Wolf's only makes you use their ammo through their rentals.

ETA: Here it is on Hoffman's Range Rules in RED: http://www.hoffgun.com/RangeInfoSheet.pdf "ONLY AMMUNITION PURCHASED AT HOFFMAN’S AT THE TIME OF SHOOTING CAN BE USED ON THE RANGE."

ETA: One more reason I do not go to Hoffman's, they do not trust you to take care of your own firearm: http://www.hoffgun.com/RangeRules.pdf "In the event of a jammed or malfunctioning firearm, lay the firearm on the tray, muzzle pointing down range and raise your hand for assistance from the RSO." I read on another forum that someone got tossed out for clearing a stuck case without asking for help...

Last edited:

bmmd321

Well when renting a lane I was always asked if I needed ammo I simply replied with no. Never had a problem.

Pete

I also live in the Hartford area I usually drive to Wolf,s range or Blue Trails.

brk913

Well when renting a lane I was always asked if I needed ammo I simply replied with no. Never had a problem.
And they actually let you put our own ammo into their stupid bucket to carry it out to the range? You must have gotten past a rookie, I reiterate Hoffman's Rules suck and Hoffman's in general sucks....Not to mention their latest entries on FaceBook stating they are thinking about discriminating against legal resident aliens from certain countries...absolutley the most racist **** I have ever heard.

IH8SPM

Not sure how you got your own ammo into Hoffman's, from my experiences they make you buy their ammo to even shoot your own gun. Wolf's only makes you use their ammo through their rentals.

ETA: Here it is on Hoffman's Range Rules in RED: http://www.hoffgun.com/RangeInfoSheet.pdf "ONLY AMMUNITION PURCHASED AT HOFFMAN’S AT THE TIME OF SHOOTING CAN BE USED ON THE RANGE."

ETA: One more reason I do not go to Hoffman's, they do not trust you to take care of your own firearm: http://www.hoffgun.com/RangeRules.pdf "In the event of a jammed or malfunctioning firearm, lay the firearm on the tray, muzzle pointing down range and raise your hand for assistance from the RSO." I read on another forum that someone got tossed out for clearing a stuck case without asking for help...

8. Do not take a jammed or malfunctioning firearm out of the port. Lay it on the tray, muzzle pointing down range and go to the front desk for help. Failure to do so will result in automatic expulsion.
http://www.wolfsrange.com/range_rules.html

I am new here and I just found that link.

brk913

8. Do not take a jammed or malfunctioning firearm out of the port. Lay it on the tray, muzzle pointing down range and go to the front desk for help. Failure to do so will result in automatic expulsion.
http://www.wolfsrange.com/range_rules.html

I am new here and I just found that link.

You may have found it but you are misinterpreting it. This means if you cannot clear or fix the issue yourself in the port to leave it there and ask for help, they do not want anyone walking out into the lobby or store area with the gun to get help. At Hoffman's clearing your own malfunction even while in a port will get you ejected.

Last edited:

brk913

While we are on the subject of ranges, I came a cross this in another forum. Interesting to see how it turns out.
http://www.ctguntalk.com/smf/genera...'s-possibly-limiting-sales-to-certain-people/

I don't support any statement in that post.
This is exactly what I was talking about in Post 8 above. It has been confirmed that Scot Hoffman himself made those posts. So because of the actions of a few he wants to discriminate against a whole group of people, sounds just like the anti gun crowd, one incident and they demonize all gun owners, Scot should know better. I for one will not buy anything there, I won't even go there, not just because of this but because of how I have been treated there in the past, I bought my first guns from Hoffman's back when they were in Newington center and on the pike behind Dairy Queen, back then Scot's father ran the place like it should be run.

JeepinMaxx

20 minutes from Hartford - Rockville Fish & Game $95 membership fee / year...

http://www.rockvillefishandgameclub.com/